UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What are you watching?

minimadman

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Walking Dead...Did it live upto the hype.

I thought it was great! Haven't read the comics though, so no idea if it met fan expectations.

I loved it. I thought it was a great translation of the comic in terms of mood, emotion, and overall essence. There are a few changes, and it looks like there will be more (and more significant) changes later in the season, but it looks like they will be good for the transition from comic to tv.

I loved it. I thought it was a great translation of the comic in terms of mood, emotion, and overall essence. There are a few changes, and it looks like there will be more (and more significant) changes later in the season, but it looks like they will be good for the transition from comic to tv.

It was very well done. But, the adherence to the comic is actually my major problem. While I know Darabont said they will stray from the comic, I didn't notice much of that last night. While I enjoy watching comic-faithful, live action fare (like Watchmen or Sin City), I would really prefer to see an entirely new product. It's like re-watching a movie when you already know what's going to happen. I say use the characters, contexts, and situations broadly defined, and go somewhere else with the story.

Still, again, very well done. Great effects, good acting, good pacing (considering that it is a TV show) and mood. I will try to catch this as it comes on, though I know I'll end up giving up and having to watch the bulk of it on DVD.

Edited by karamazov80

I picked up the Toy Story Ultimate Toy Box set yesterday, to have all 3 films on Blu-ray. I don't want to speak to the merit of the films, as everyone has their own opinion, but I would like to point something out for others that may be wanting this set.

Disney, in their infinite wisdom, chose to package the 10 discs in slots in a piece of styrofoam... :angry:

[picture snagged from Amazon]

61LUdhs0W0L.jpg

This set was $65.00, and they couldn't even include the standard plastic cases from the individual releases?

I've sent their customer service an email asking for replacement packaging, but I don't anticipate them helping me out.

Anyway, I know there are fans of the series on this board, and I just wanted to make sure that people had the knowledge that I didn't have prior to purchase.

UPDATE: I got a response from Disney customer service that they will send me the individual packaging for these movies...for $4 each. I may just try to return this set to the store and exchange it for the individual releases.

Edited by youbastards

I've just finished watching the first episode which lived up to my high expectations. I've seen some sickening stuff in my time but I nearly threw up after about 3 minutes into this first episode when we see Sheriff's Deputy Grimes at the Gas Station. I just couldn't believe it,it brought tears to my eyes....................................

...................the sign in the background quite vividly shows the US price of gas at well under $3 a gallon :(

I think it did I'm excited for the next episode for sure

Finally got to watch the first episode of Walking Dead and really enjoyed it. I have never read the comics so I have no bases to check but I like what I have seen. For me it rings of 28 days later but I think that is because of the hospital opening.

I hope it can keep up the storyline pace and tension because if it can it will be a big hit. My one concern will be when someone complains that it has give their 7 year old kid nightmares after they let them watch it. (it will happen) and then the TV evangelists try to get it stopped.

Anyway another one to add to my watch list (Thank Jebus for catch up TV and V+ boxes)

There is a new comedy on Fox I recommend, Raising Hope. It is on Tuesday's right after Glee at 9pm and is a really funny show. Cloris Leachman and the baby tend to steal any scene they are in, but it is one of the few new comedies that is consistently funny week after week.

• 2 weeks later...

Walking dead is epic! Its almost giving you a what if scenario of what could have happened. And im hoping after the end if ep 3, rick wont lose his hand if you catch my drift. Oh. Lori's a skank. Never liked the ho!

I agree with most here about Walking Dead. It is early yet, so I am trying not to be bothered by some of the stuff that is different from the book. However, IT IS early and the differences are already piling up.

The FX are amazing. I watched a special on some of the make up and they are really going all out.

BHM, fuel in the UK would not be so expensive if it weren't taxed so much by the government. Organize a tea party and see if you can curb the tax rape. :P

For those with a On Demand option, some cool behind the scenes and the SDCC were on the AMC link under Walking Dead last time I checked.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree it might not make it to BBC 1 or ITV but I cant not see it not being broadcast on one of the channels. with the choice of digital freeview BBC3 could show it or I would guess CH4 would be the better home as CH4 has a good track record of trying to always push the envelope.

Just make sure there is enough warnings before showing and a late enough TV slot and I can see it there. Even Five could show it. I am trying to remember the tangled web of channels Rupert Murdoch has his fingers in so if he has anything to do with the channels showing it now and I think something to do with some of the Freeview channels or Five in the UK thats more likely where it will show up.

Anyway thats a bit deep for this time in the morning. back to cartoons (Young Justice on Youtube) :D

I watched '2012' last night on a Movie Channel & I can honestly say I would have had more fun sitting in the middle of the road with a sharpened pencil shoved up my arse. What bloody drivel :angry:

I sat there thinking that the next can of Guinness would make it more bearable....but no,it just got worse. Worst movie I have seen in a long while.

Another solid episode of Walking Dead last night. One thing I've always (perversely) enjoyed about zombie movies is the human reaction to the overwhelming odds against survival. In general, the protagonists get somewhat optimistic that they have a chance to survive, or even better, to wipe out the zombie plague once and for all. But inevitably, those hopes get dashed when an attack occurs, when a solution doesn't work, or when someone snaps or exploits his fellow humans. But then, as with life generally, the human spirit is to keep going and not to allow yourself to succumb to despair. Or at least, that's how it is for some.

Getting to the CDC headquarters will probably present more problems than solutions

Edited by karamazov80

I posted this in a blu-ray thread, thought it should go here too:

Since there are fans of Deadwood here, I would just like to take a moment to promote 3 of my current favorite shows:

- Sons of Anarchy (About to finish its 3rd season this week)

- Justified (2nd season starts in Feb)

- Terriers (1st season ending soon, this week?)

All 3 of these shows are consistently excellent viewing week after week, and they are all on FX.

SoA and Justified also feature A LOT of the cast members from Deadwood and The Shield.

Check them out if you haven't, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the caliber of storytelling in these shows.

Another solid episode of Walking Dead last night. One thing I've always (perversely) enjoyed about zombie movies is the human reaction to the overwhelming odds against survival. In general, the protagonists get somewhat optimistic that they have a chance to survive, or even better, to wipe out the zombie plague once and for all. But inevitably, those hopes get dashed when an attack occurs, when a solution doesn't work, or when someone snaps or exploits his fellow humans. But then, as with life generally, the human spirit is to keep going and not to allow yourself to succumb to despair. Or at least, that's how it is for some.

Getting to the CDC headquarters will probably present more problems than solutions

i agree its going to go real bad on some heavy levels

I agree it might not make it to BBC 1 or ITV but I cant not see it not being broadcast on one of the channels. with the choice of digital freeview BBC3 could show it or I would guess CH4 would be the better home as CH4 has a good track record of trying to always push the envelope.

Just make sure there is enough warnings before showing and a late enough TV slot and I can see it there. Even Five could show it. I am trying to remember the tangled web of channels Rupert Murdoch has his fingers in so if he has anything to do with the channels showing it now and I think something to do with some of the Freeview channels or Five in the UK thats more likely where it will show up.

Anyway thats a bit deep for this time in the morning. back to cartoons (Young Justice on Youtube) :D

What channel showed Dead Set over there?