UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Star Trek: The Exhibit

captain_cbecker

I got to see the travelling Star Trek Exhibit on Friday at the San Jose Tech Museum.

I have very mixed feelings about the exhibit... as a Star Trek fan since I was a kid in the 70's, I was really excited to see the exhibit.

Some of the high points included:

Life-size walk-on replicas of the Original Series Bridge, The TNG Enterprise Transporter Room, TNG Ships Corridor and the Guardian of Forever as well as a look-in exhibit of Picard's Quarters.

Costumes from Every Star Trek Franchise

Massive timeline of the future detailing major events from Enterprise through Nemesis and alternate timeline of Star Trek(2009).

Lots of various displays with crew & show bios as well as details of alien races and theoretical star trek science explanations.

Shuttlecraft ride simulator & Star Trek (2009) in IMAX

However, I was disappointed that the exhibit was very light on props and not very long. Given what I had seen many years ago at the old Las Vegas Star Trek ride & exhibit, there were not a lot of phasers, tricorders, weapons, or much else. Some of the drawbacks were:

There were only a few 24" filming models (Excelsior, Enterprise D, Klingon Vor'Cha cruiser, Stargazer, Borg Cube and a couple of shuttles).

No photography - unless you wanted them to take pictures of you in the Captain's chair/On the transporter or In the Guardian of forever... fore which they would be happy to take your pic & sell it back to you at a premium.

Few Props (except costumes)

Extra charge for Shuttlecraft ride simulator & Star Trek (2009) in IMAX

I thoroughly read and looked at everything I could and was in and out of the exhibit in about an hour (including a thorough browse through the gift shop) - for $25 (exhibit only), that seemed a little un-fulfilling.

I did find that they drew a lot of their Merchandise from DST's Star Trek product line - albeit at hefty markups in some cases (Science Tricorder that sells at TRU and online for $39.99 was selling for $69.99, TWOK Phaser regularly $30 was $35 etc), including the last ST wave of minimates. There was also no shortage of the Playmates Star Trek(2009) merch (which can be purchased on clearance everywhere, for about $20 of the gift shop price). The only safe bet in the gift store were books, because they did not markup above publisher's price.

Final Recommendation: Visit at your own risk - If you're a Trekky, then you might not be able to resist (after all, it's futile) - but expect to add $8 for IMAX and $5-6 for the Ride simulator to the $25 entry fee, in order to get the full effect. Prepare to be underwhelmed. If you're not into Trek - best to take your $25 to your LCS or TRU and get a few 2-packs of minimates and go home and enjoy those instead.

My sister went to the old Star Trek Experience when it was at the Hilton a while back and loved it. So now what I'm hearing on the news is that their closing down a small but famous shopping centre/cinema called the Metropolis, and due to all the hype there was about 2009's Star Trak film, they're turning it into a whole small mall's worth of star trek stuff. The dude on the telly said that it would mostly be stuff from the new movie. I can't test the voracity of the claims cos it was on local news.

I agree with ya captain cbecker, my wife, brother-in-law and I went while we visited her family.

Was a nice exhibit but to me, totally not worth the price tag.....and the Trek gift shop was Indeed over priced, found a Trek minimate 2 pack I considered getting but saw that they were charging $12.99 and immediately put it back.

Like you said, if your a huge Star Trek fan you'll enjoy it..... but I too wish there was SO much more

I went twice while it was here in Detroit. Once with friends and once as a gift to my mom. As I recall, admission was only $18 while it was here. Possibly because it debuted here. At any rate, I had a great time and would recommend it to most any Trek fan.