UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Dr.Baghead's junk and stuff

I finally got a new digital camera and decided I should try to take some pictures of some of my custom minimates (some of the pictures turned out really bad so I'll retake them later)

These will range from quick custom part shuffling to sculpting/painting full customs...

Arkham Staff and their favorite patient

arkhamstaff1a.jpg

-Dr.Quinzel (hair: DCD Harley Quinn, face: Silken Floss, Coat/arms/hands: Doctor Baltar, Skirt:President Roslin, Torso, legs, feet:?!? escapes me at the moment)

-Inmate Joker (hair: Zombie Hulk, face: DCD Joker, everything else: Hannibal Lektor)

-Dr. Crane [movie version] (hair: Miniseries Baltar, face: Lt. Felix Gaeta with sharpie glasses, everything else: the man in black w/ short coat and sharpie recolored vest/shirt)

ADVENTURE!

bbaqua5a.jpg

Brave and the Bold Aquaman, since what minimate adventure ISN'T in need of a strong swimmer? he has duck feet since I thought they looked appropriate on him.

bbaqua2a.jpg

he looks fun on a blue flame base too!

Civilian Slade

slade2a.jpg

I really like the unmasked Deathstroke face, but like to display my Deathstroke with his mask on with my Teen Titans. SOLUTION: Place the head on Frank Castle's body, for a classy 'time off' Slade.

To: Bruce, From: Your Friend, Obadiah

batmongera.jpg

It's a... Bat Monger? I don't know, I just thought it'd look cool (head is C3 Guilder Batman, Body is obvious)

THE MUTANT WITH SHOES FOR HANDS!!!

shuverine1.jpg

Fans of "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" may remember this fella (not sure if he survived the trek to the "Tonight Show") It's SHOE-VERINE!!! (head is Cowboy Logan from the Through the Ages set, hair is the newer 'every Logan gets this hair!!!' hair, feet are not C3 feet, the rest is movie 'Weapon X')

BARELY COUNTS AS A "CUSTOM"

cowboywolvo1a.jpg

I thought the "cowboy Logan" from the through the ages box set was a good idea, but lacked in a few ways. I sculpted more pronounced 'hair tuffs' on the sides of his head, switched out the 'big crotch' with a movie Wolverine's belt (probably the one that became Shoe-verine's) replaced his 'blocky' boots with a pair of more detailed "For A Few Dollars More" pair, switched his left hand with T-1000's so he could tip his hat, and finally gave him X-Force Wolverine's sneer... all and all a lot of typing to say "it doesn't look all that different now, does it?"

Dr. Crane AGAIN!

scrowa.jpg

Scarecrow, Scarecrow, Scarecrow.... Hat and 'neck thing' are from the DCSH Scarecrow (I replaced his head with a Hush Scarecrow's so I had them lying around) hands are Lady Deathstrikes and skirt is Akuma's, he's painted crummy on purpose in hopes it makes him look like his costume is made of dirty sacks.

Field Tested

fieldtest3a.jpg

I didn't really like "Batman: Gotham Knights" but I thought the design in "Field Tested" was pretty neat AND bared a striking resemblance to several available or (then) soon to be available pieces, well from the waist up anyway, most of this is just guestimation and picking whatever worked best.. Head is a C3 mask that has a similar nose profile to the Field Tested helmet (Classic Flyer Batman I think), Armor is from Assault Armor Punisher (with a little cut off the bottom), two New Goblin Gauntlet (a hole was cut in the bottom so they could be put on upside down), Nova's belt, and Heavy-Assault Batman's boots

He doesn't know what to do with those tossed salads and scrambled eggs...

suitbeast1a.jpg

Tony Stark (minus) hands, feet, head (plus) hands, feet, and head of movie Beast = THIS!

This photo really ruins the effect...

knightshadow2a.jpg

Shadow Batman!

AND FINALLY: THE GREATEST THING EVER!!!!

gigglesa.jpg

'the Red D' and Senator Giggles!

Edited by dr baghead

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that aqua man ,is just a must have,really!!nice customs!

If he's must have, by all means have your own: http://drbaghead.deviantart.com/art/Aquaman-Decal-149160625 (click "download" and it should let you pull a 300dpi version sized for a 2 inch head and a Powerhouse chest)

Out-RAGE-ous!!

Wow! Those are pretty awesome minimates! The only thing I have to say is that the body paint could be... smoother, I guess. Everything else: Great stuff. Looking forward to seeing more! :)

Edited by Captain Minimate

The only thing I have to say is that the body paint could be... smoother, I guess.

I agree, it's one of those things I'm trying to work on (but at same time my laziness makes me just go "eh! it's tiny from across the room you can't tell!" so Aquaman's going to be chunky painted for awhile until I revisit him.)

SO WHO LIKES IRON MAN VARIANTS?!?!

I CAN'T HEAR YOU?!?! WHO LIKES IRON MAN VARIANTS?!?!

...oh, I guess I can't hear you because no ones responding, well tough... here's some Iron Man variants:

here's a fun game, some of these are actual Mark 3's repainted, but some are castings of just the from 2/3rds of a Mark 3 (making them weird "inaction minimates" facades) try and guess which are which!

The Missing Link

armory1a.jpg

I wanted a gold movie armor so I considered painting a Mk1 Gold, but then I realized: The Mark 3 is essentially the Gold Armor, Tony just had J.A.R.V.I.S. throw some red paint on for effect, so I painted up a "Mark 2.5"

Other repaints in the picture:

-the Mark 1 to have some "rustiness" but it's probably hard to tell in the photo (it's hard as hell to tell in real life) and the Mark 2's eyes and arc were repainted to match the other 3's

-Mark 3 has Gold siding since I thought the all red torso was lacking (it's inaccurate yes, but it pops on the shelf better)

Second String Armors

armory2a.jpg

Silver Centurion (really more like "Target Exclusive Repaint"), "Primer" (it's supposed to look like that hella slick "Gunmetal" repaint Hot Toys/Sideshow had as a Comic Con Exclusive last year), "Black Ops" (when I was painting some of these I thought they looked slick in just black so made one as such), and of course "Battle Ravaged" (I had a crap casting, so I painted it as such)

Novelty Armors

armory5a.jpg

"What If..." Captain America Armor (who yes, could not be painted any crappier, thanks for noting) and "Iron Chef: Chef Tony" he comes with a pear to represent his Iron Chef side, no Miracle Blades though.

The ULTIMATE in Luxury Classic Armors

armory6a.jpg

Mattalica's is waaaaaay better, go look at his if you want to see what a GOOD "Animated Movie Repaint Ultimate Ironman" should look like... but look! Bonus War Machine! mine have the lower torso armor and helmet of Movie Ironman because I had extras casted.

Now you see 'em, Now you don't...

armory7a.jpg

Your Standard TRU Stealth Armor, A Dark Blue Transparent Casting, a Light Blue Transparent Casting, a Transparent Casting... I think that's every level of "Stealth" I need. However there's a problem with so much stealth:

comicrdj.jpg

Sometimes Tony gets hammered, turns on the invisibility and then the next morning spends a couple hours (in comic armor apparently) stumbling around his lab trying to find it.

"We're the Venture (has)BROS!"

armory4a.jpg

These 3 started my Mark 3 repaint binge. They're based on 3 Hasbro repaints I thought looked pretty cool but didn't want as 6 inch figures. I believe they're "Subterrian Armor", "Heavy Armor", and "Torpedo Armor" in the Hasbro line, but I don't know for sure, I only saw the Gold and Red in stores and can only find pictures of Torpedo on-line... I just call them "Yellow", "Red", and "Blue"

To: Rhodey, From: Your Friend, Tony

armory3a.jpg

That's a "War Machine Mk1" I sculpted the Arc Reactor on since I wanted it to fit in with the movie armors/like the Variant's torso better but wasn't willing to pay variant pricing. Movie War Machine was done when the Iron Man minimates first came out, I *KNOW* it's inaccurate as of today (heck, it even has Terrance Howard's face under the helmet, THAT'S how out of date it is)

Why should Tony be the Only one with an Armory...

mongerarmory.jpg

"Final Battle Iron Monger" (the Lightning is based on how the lightning is painted on NECA's "Rage of Olympus" Kratos), I don't know, Fate Monger? (I just thought it looked fun), and Comic Colored Iron Monger (I *love* Shiny Blue/Matte Black color schemes, I'm still trying to figure out how to make a "Batman:tB&tB" Blue Beatle to go along with Aquaman to have an excuse to make another minimate with that scheme).... I've considered making a more accurate "Final Battle" Monger by casting one in clear blue THEN painting on the lightning, but then I remember how much of a hassle Tony was to cast and curl up in a ball and cry. I like repainting the Monger, I even made a Hulkbuster but more on him later... but speaking of Obabiah...

Why should Tony be the Only one with fancy pants...

samandthedude1.jpg

I think Obadiah wears the suit better then Tony, and Fury needed a fancier coat so he stole Sabretooth's, and why am I photographing these two unrelated characters together?

censoredmovienight.jpg

...because they watched each other's movies on FX last night!! (and yes, I know Walter, not the Dude says the "fight a stranger in the alps" line, but c'mon, it's the funniest line in the TV version, the Dude would understand)

Evloution of Tony Stark:

tonyevolution.jpg

First two, no change. Flight Test has hips, gauntlet, and extra legs or Stealth Armor and a casted red/blue jet stand. "Final Battle" is a repaint of "Hostile Makeover" Mk3, I cut his guantlet and put a normal hand on him to recreate how he ripped off his glove after thinking Stane was dead.... and some of these guys have accessories:

bazillionares.jpg

Playboy Tony needs someone to hang with so I made a Playboy Bruce Wayne. (Some C3 Bruce head, DCD Classic Batman Hair, Miniseries Baltar everything else) "HELLO LADIES! DO YOU WANT TO PARTY WITH THESE TWO... WILD AND CRAZY GUYS!"

labrobots.jpg

of course Flight Test Tony needs his robot arm buddies... I, I couldn't figure out how to make those as minimates so I made him some random robots to hang with... I need to find them a fire extinguisher and figure out how to make an in-scale "proof Tony Stark has a heart" plaque though. (Mk2 Torso is a spare, the rest was used on a Dr.Doom custom I haven't finished painting yet)

The unforgiving stench of failure...

failurmor.jpg

Punisher Armor (I had a second bad casting like the Battle Damage on above, I thought "oh hey! Punisher would probably be bullet ridden, let's make him..." yeah, it turned out bad), "Glow in the Stark" (just a bad casting I haven't gotten around to making a new one yet), and "Chrome" (Chrome spray refused to smoothly coat the casting, I'll try again later)

Who ya gonna call?!

armory8a.jpg

Hey! It's the Hulk Buster I mentioned earlier! I'm of the school of thought we don't have a big enough Hulk for a Monger-sized Buster to bust so I guess I should just throw this guy away and....

hulkvbuster.jpg

oh.... ("Titanium" Hulk, who's head was ripped off and replaced with Defender's Hulk, his neck and pecks resculpted to fit the head properly) yes, he's not truely "minimate styled" but he's about as detailed as the Monger so I figure he can be fudged in (and if you disagree, tough, it's on my shelf anyway) and speaking of Hulk, you can't have Hulk without...

THE GREATEST SUPERHERO TEAM (WHO'S DEBATABLY NOT REALLY A 'TEAM') IN HISTORY!!!

dadefenders.jpg

Strange: No change (with clear casting jet stand), Hulk we've met already, Surfer is classic surfer with a repaint face (I wanted a sillier more naive looking surfer) C3 feet painted silver and "Cosmic Surfers" board on a specially modified purple casted jet stand. Namor is Invader's Namor with 'the Cage' Spock's raised eyebrow face, Ocean Master's belt and gauntlet's, Aquaman's trident, and a blue offical jet stand.

surferbase.jpg

the Surfer's jet stand has a clear peg sank into it at an angle so I can pose him in various "surfing" poses like the dive in the group shot or a nice "half-pipe ride" slant the original flight peg or unmodded jet stand don't allow.

sillyseafolk.jpg

and lastly it'd be a crime to show a Namor AFTER showing an Aquaman and not make a lame 'seaman' joke.

Great customs. Every single one. And those are great photos and write-ups. The bat-monger thing reminds of the bat sentinels from Kingdom Come. Also, "Dr. Baghead's Junk-n-Stuff" sounds like a great title for a Saturday morning cartoon.

Any chance you'll be posting a casting tutorial (or is your method the same as Luke's)?

My method is basically the same as Luke's for casting Ironman and EXACTLY the same for the Jet bases (I use a different latex and a Clear Resin, both of which can be easily obtained at your local TAP Plastic but that's the only major difference.) If anyone wants me to go over the specifics on how I casted Ironman I can go over that, but that's pretty much it.

also anyone who wants me to open shop, eh, you want to have a look at this:

castingproblems.png

like I said, I only cast 2/3rds of the Ironman since you can't tell when they're on the back of my shelf, and the arc reactors all have HUGE bubbles in them I just can't get rid of (in the clears anyway, in the ones I painted I just sculpted over them) it's pathedic really... of course if that's not a deal breaker and you don't want to try molding yourself (you really should! it's fun, easy, and rewarding!) shot me a PM and maybe we can work something out.

ANYWAY, how about some new content to go with casting talk? Yes, no? Oh well, here's some anyway:

FIRE, THUNDER, LIGHTNING.... DAD!

titansgo.jpg

Hey looks! It's the Teen Titans likes on that TV show I don't remember the name of. Kori's stole Invader Torch's accessories, Dick's a frankenstein of his C3 (head, bootcovers) and DCD (everything else) self, Cyborg is I *think* the last of my Iron Monger repaints, Raven has Magdalena's (or whatever the character from the Indie Mates box set is named and I'm too lazy to look up how to spell it but not lazy enough to not type up how lazy I am) hair, Black Widow (or Champion Ghost Rider's) belt, and a heavily modded Mysterio cape. Beastboy has Hulk hair, an X-Men belt, and sculpting.

Over CompenSLADED

overloadedslades.jpg

You know how some artist draw Deadpool overloaded with weapons like he's the Mask or something? yeah I like that, but like hell was I gonna ruin Deadpool gluing crap on him, so Deathstroke has every gun I didn't need at the time glued to his back.

Let's keep the Titan Theme rolling...

nottitansbutsorta.jpg

Look it's officially the laziest Oracle custom EVER. Wally gave up his shoes and mask for a "Dark Knight Strikes Again" Barry custom, so he stole Dr.Fate's feet, Invader Captain America's mask, and Marty McFly's face. Robin stole Ultimate Wolverine's hair and got a green hip piece to look more the one in the cartoon.

Oh wait, this is TITAN not the Titans...

asylumbossivy.jpg

"Batman:Arkham Asylum" boss form Poison Ivy... yeah, I know she should be inside a cage inside the mouth of one of those things (and have an ugly red shirt on) but I like this better... so there.

...and now for something completely different.

whiteblackpanther.jpg

If anyone gets this reference they win 5 points!

BARELY COUNTS AS A "CUSTOM"

cowboywolvo1a.jpg

all and all a lot of typing to say "it doesn't look all that different now, does it?"

I actually think this is a huge improvement, all the little changes really add up. I'd probably have bought the set if he looked like this...

Really cool Scarecrow too!

could the photo have something to do with how in ultimates 3 captain america dresses up as the blackpanther, and um that tony is drinking(gluk?) because of the sex tape that was posted?

Edited by robomate