UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Think there should be a TRU “catch-up” wave?

storm 1:08

Just curious if people think there should be a TRU “catch-up” wave similar to Series 7 where we got reissues of Silver Surfer (Tower Records exclusive), Ultimate Spidey (DST SDCC exclusive), Rhino (TRU exclusive), and Gray Hulk (TRU/DST SDCC) along with a couple of new 'mates. It hasn’t been done since then but this might help alleviate some of our TRU woes.

Based on the past, it seems we might get about 4 TRU waves in the span of about 12 months and this might be good as filler. Definitely Angel/Warpath and Bullseye/Moonstone are needed. Would many of you still buy/rebuy these? Should these be 1 per case since there’s already some out there? Leave it be or flood the pegs with these again (if possible)?

While I think those of us who had trouble finding these the first time might appreciate it, it should be taken into consideration that plenty of others might have found these no problem. Do you risk turning off sales in some markets to appease those who missed the first time around?

A good example is the Wolverine Origins series. While the first go at TRU wasn't exactly phenomenal, the second go has pretty much clogged the shelves just about everywhere, since it featured a majority of sets that everyone already had or just didn't want. One of the sets was the exclusive Agent Zero set, that some of us had problems finding on the first outing.

I think it wouldn't be a bad thing to revisit some of the exclusive sets in future waves, but I don't think they should fill a wave with them.

And no more 1-per-case sets!

A good example is the Wolverine Origins series. While the first go at TRU wasn't exactly phenomenal, the second go has pretty much clogged the shelves just about everywhere

Really? Because except for when I bought them, I haven't seen Weapon XI or Gambit anywhere...

Edited by TENIME_art

A good example is the Wolverine Origins series. While the first go at TRU wasn't exactly phenomenal, the second go has pretty much clogged the shelves just about everywhere

Really? Because except for when I bought them, I haven't seen Weapon XI or Gambit anywhere...

Seconded, of course it's probably just because I passed up Gambit the first time I saw him and just now decided I need him for a custom they aren't clogging here.

That's because those aren't resissues, the original wave 26 is. WO wave 2 is Marvel wave 26 plus the new WO packs, so five packs total. I always see those packs except for the TRU exclusives clogging up the shelves.

The reissue wave wouldn't be full of commons, it would have all of the hard to find one and two per case packs, in other words the true TRU exclusives. But DST has said that by wave 5 they will have stopped with the one per case packs.

I got the Bullseye/Moonstone pack that I wanted, and I never cared about the Angel/Warpath pack, so I wouldn't buy any more of them for myself.

However, if they were rereleased as 1 per case again, I think that folks who missed them the first time around would have a much better chance of getting them (especially with help from fellow board-members). Also, at 1 of each per case, I don't see them clogging the threads. I'm all for DST helping the collectors who couldn't get these the first time.

I'm really curious to see how the Swordsman/Surfer set pans out and if it pegwarms later down the line or is the first to disappear. If it disappears, then I think there could be a market for a 1 per case Angel reissue. Both sets have a figure people might be familiar with and another they probably aren't familar with. Plus the familiar figure has a visual hook: wings (Angel), shiny (Surfer). Bullseye/Moonstone is tough to say, though.

My two cents worth:

I'd say 'no' to re-issues. I live in Australia & TRU don't carry MiniMates here at all. . . but through eBay & some VERY generous board members, i've managed to get pretty much all of the TRU exclusives i've wanted with the exception of Angel/Warpath. If it can be done from all the way down here. . . then it can be done just about anywhere.

Don't get me wrong - it was Damn frustrating to get a hold of some items. But in almost every case, i've managed to source the Mates without resorting to double/triple price scalpers on eBay.

Maybe i've just been very fortunate?

Secondly - as previously mentioned. . . i don't think these would sell too well if re-released. Unless rereleased in VERY small numbers, i think they'd end up being too prolific.

Some of the hard to find TRU exclusives are some of my favourite 'Mates in my collection. Bullseye is an awesome example of near-perfectly executed MiniMate, who i love even more for having to wait so long to get him!

• 1 month later...

I'm throwing my name in the hat for good idea...

As long as the items offered up were rarities on the 1st run, re-issue waves seem to be a great success, imo. Marvel Legends did a reissue wave of soem of their rarest figures, and it allowed me to finally get a deadpool. And never once did I see that reissue wave warm the pegs. In fact, my 1 Deadpool was the only one I ever saw.

I think using the Wolverine mates as a point of comparison is faulty logic, because those things were never all that rare or sought after to begin with, frankly. You could order them off ToysRUs.com for a LONG time, and they're the only Toys R Us exclusives I DIDN'T have to get from ebay My Toys R Us had about a dozen of them in stock BEFORE wave 2 even re-issued them.

By comparison, Bullseye & Moonstone and Warpath & Angel, I've never once, ever, seen on a shelf or ToysRUs.com.

IF the set was something along the lines of this...

New Brown Costume Wolverine & Jubilee (TRU Exclusive) x3

Bullseye & Moonstone (TRU Exclusive Reissue) x2

Warpath & Angel (TRU Exclusive Reissue) x2

Deadpool & HYDRA Agent x3

Gambit & 90s Rogue x2

You can't tell me you think any of that wave would warm the pegs! It's got a new set, with a mandatory Wolverine for Toys R Us, and the last holdout for our 90s X-Men animated series set, 2 of the harder to find Toys R Us exclusives, The hardest Non-Variant Non-Exclusive figure to get I've seen in years, packaged with an army builder that not only has Toys R Us not done yet, but that he kills in droves in the comics, and also keeps one as a pet (lol, Bob: Agent of HYDRA) and finally Rogue & Gambit... okay, they're not super-required, I really ust threw them on to round out the line, because I figure by that time the 90s X-Men wave shoudl be incoming, and they'll want to spread the new figures around. Rogue allows them to do that, while still incorporating a popular old re-issue figure.

I think this could be a great idea, quite frankly.

I like the choices for two packs. I actually think the Rogue/Gambit pack has a real chance of getting made.

The Wolverine/Jubilee pack though, that I think might show up in a full wave.