UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

How about... AVATAR: The Last Airbender Minimates

With the new live action movie coming out, interest in this excellent animated series is sure to spike. Now that Mattel isn't making anymore Avatar toys, maybe Art Asylum could do some Minimates from the cartoon? Here's my dream Wave 1:

- Aang and Toph

- Katara and Sokka

- Season 1 Prince Zuko & Uncle Iroh

- Fire Lord Ozai & Fire Nation soldier (army builder)

- Variant - Avatar State Aang

If it sells well enough, future waves could feature Azula, Earth King Bumi, Season 3 Prince Zuko, Suki, Mai, Ty Lee with a Kyoshi Warrior army builder. So many great characters.... and Appa. Has to be room in the license to do a scale appropriate Appa!

Edited by Binaryan

While I'm actually doubtful of the likelihood of DST getting their hands on the Avatar license, I would've liked seeing this series in 'mate form.

I haven't caught up with the show in a while, but there has to be room for Azula, Mai, Jet and that nutty Earth-bender king in there somewhere.

i'm suprised theres never been custom airbender mates

but I totally agree, this would make a great license!! as long as they dont go down the line of making figures that have no basis in the show. like water tribe aang :blink::blink:

heres my choices, avoiding dreaded variants

Wave 1 - Book 1

- Aang(series 1) and Zuko(series 1)

- Sokka and Zhao

- Katara and Iroh

Wave 2 - Book 2

- Toph and Avatar State Aang

- Azula and Ty Lee

- Mai and The Blue Spirit

Wave 3 - Book 3

- Aang(series 3) and Fire Lord Ozia

- White Lotus King Bumi and Fire Lord Sozin

a Series Finale boxest could include Avatar State Aang(season 3), and Finale Battle Ozia, White Lotus Iroh and i'm not sure on the fourth mate

through in a themed army builder series, Water Tribe members(Yue, Master Pakku, soldiers) a Earth Kingdom(Haru, Soldiers) and then a fire nation(combustion man, soldiers) and you could through in army builder with suki, and her group, white lotus member, and jet and his team, the list is endless

As I've said before for similar ideas (Pokemon, I think), I would be a bit ambivalent about such a thing. If it could sell, I would like Minimates to be made so that the Minimate brand can continue to succeed. But if they sell, that would also reinforce the idea that it makes sense to make Minimates based on little kids' shows. For the most part, I like that Minimates are targeting adults with adult licenses, and I hope that this continues to be the case.

Edited by karamazov80

As I've said before for similar ideas (Pokemon, I think), I would be a bit ambivalent about such a thing. If it could sell, I would like Minimates to be made so that the Minimate brand can continue to succeed. But if they sell, that would also reinforce the idea that it makes sense to make Minimates based on little kids' shows. For the most part, I like that Minimates are targeting adults with adult licenses, and I hope that this continues to be the case.

AVATAR has a massive following outside of the kids demographic!!! i started watching it with my nephew when babysitting, and was totally drawn into the world. the characters are semi real and the show features character development, plots and a great visual style all things that are more attributed to more adult shows

but in the end, minimates are toys! the fact that a lot of adults buy them is secondary, look at the amount of kids that buy star wars toys to play with and the adults that buy them for display!

Avatar minimates could actually be that license that breaks down that collector/toy barrier on mates. marvel providea colourful character, but also 40 to 50 years of history which could be of putting as well as characters that parents may not approve of like (the mass murdering) bullseye. AVATAR provides the colourful characters and 3 series of the tv show, as well as three upcoming movies that are more readily accesible.

Additional ideas for variant costumes from Book 3: The group's Fire Nation disguises, and the Painted Lady.

And personally I don't see the harm in making Minimates based on something like Avatar once in a while. Their scale, block form and interchangeability does lend well to playability, and as JoeyCrypts mentioned the shows does have a multi-generational appeal of sorts. And while I don't quite believe that Avatar *could* be the license that puts Minimates firmly on the map, I do think the line needs to branch out a bit more.

I will admit to not knowing anything about this show, but I would buy Spongebob Minimates. That show is a riot! As for my concern of becoming more kid-oriented, though, as I think more on it, I'm not sure that this should be a major worry. One issue with kids collecting Minimates is that their pieces are easy to take apart, swallow, etc. I think this is a large part of why Minimates are more a success with adults than kiddies. Superhero Squad and LEGOs are much more durable mini/block figures that work for the small kids. As such, even if they released Wiggles Minimates or something, I don't think they would experience long-term success, as parents would realize that they aren't for kids.

As for branching the licenses out, we've seen a variety of comic, TV, movie, and video game franchises from Minimates. Sure, there hasn't been much focusing on little kids' shows, but I don't think you can criticize AA/DST for lacking variety. I would like to see more musicians, and they won't ever match the licenses that Medicom has had with Kubricks, but who could?

Edited by karamazov80

I would buy any Avatar minimates DST cared to produce.

After Mattel's pitifully bad character selection, it'd be nice to see a line that would happily incorporate the entire core cast, not just the males.

And much as I'm not a huge fan of the larger 'mates, it might make sense to make the core adolescent characters as 2 inchers with adults as 2.5". Not that I'd complain if they didn't do that.

There were two Avatar Lego sets, though; I don't know how that might affect DST's chances for getting the license.