UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Iron Man II Movie Minimates General Discussion

rx78jj

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting side-note: remember the first movie IM set being called "Hostile Takeover"?

This AFX set is called "Battle Tactics", which may provide some tenuous context clue as to what might happen in the film... I predict

a three-way alliance between Tony, Nick Fury, and War Machine at one point, which is something of a reactionary progression from Rhodes allying with Justin Hammer at the top of the story

?

Quick decisions and spontaneous tactics are necessary on the battlefield, factors this exclusive Battle Tactics Minimates box set definitely possesses! Featuring the master strategist Nick Fury, Racetrack Tony Stark and Battle Damaged versions of both the Mark VI Iron Man and War Machine - this C2E2 exclusive set delivers the stars of Iron Man 2 as you've never seen them! Each Minimate stands two inches tall and includes 14 points of articulation plus removable and interchangeable parts and accessories.

Apparently this Nick Fury is so badass he doesn't need a gun either.

Underwhelming set overall. Predict it will come free with other AFX minimate orders this time next year.

It does pretty much confirm 3 armors this movie. The only unrevealed armor fom the 2-pack wave is the Mk V, and this is a smokey Mk VI. So somewhere in all this we can look forward to a non-damaged Mk VI, and Wiow at some point.

And racecar Tony comes with a helmet!

That's not just any helmet. It looks like the helmet that was supposed to come with Johnny Blaze in the cancelled Ghost Rider movie wave. Piece by piece, we're slowly collecting that wave...

As for the box set, pretty underwhelming. Two battle-damaged characters, Ultimate Nick Fury (now with a trenchcoat!) - the only really "new" figure is Racer Stark, and he's nothing to get excited about...

And racecar Tony comes with a helmet!

That's not just any helmet. It looks like the helmet that was supposed to come with Johnny Blaze in the cancelled Ghost Rider movie wave. Piece by piece, we're slowly collecting that wave...

Good point... we just got an updated Ghost Rider, Johnny Blaze's racing jacket, Eva Mendes, and Mephisto. Now all we need is Blackheart and a Minimate-sized shovel. :P

Time for me to find a Minimate-sized "hot rod" for racecar Tony, methinks...

They aren't going to not give us a Black Widow, I imagine she'll either show up in the other box set or in a TRU wave.

So far our IM2 Mates look like this:

Wave 35:

Mark IV Iron Man/Whiplash

Mark V Iron Man/War Machine

Pepper Potts/Hammer Drone

Happy Hogan/Hammer Drone

Army Builder Dump:

Justin Hammer

Air Assault Drone

Ground Assault Drone

Sea Assault Drone

Tactical Assault Drone

Battle Damaged Hammer Drone

"Battle Tactics" Box Set

Nick Fury

Race Track Tony Stark

Battle Damaged Mark VI Iron Man

Battle Damaged War Machine

So I imagine we still have, at least, a non-battle-damaged Mark VI Iron Man, a Black Widow, and some second version (be it Battle Damaged or in Armor, if he gets some) of Whiplash on the way

So I imagine we still have, at least, a non-battle-damaged Mark VI Iron Man, a Black Widow, and some second version (be it Battle Damaged or in Armor, if he gets some) of Whiplash on the way

That would be my guess,

I've heard whiplash does don a "more improved" suit that has yet to be revealed

I really liked the Hostile Takeover set because I was having a hard time finding the movie wave (a bit late to the party on that one) and this set is very similar, as has been mentioned.

I love that Stark, he's great, but the others, not so essential unless you don't get a chance to get the non-damaged versions. I agree that they were a bit stuck when it came to Nick Fury seeing as the Ultimate one is the same character.

I would speculate now that Black Widow will be in a short-packed TRU 2-pack.

Underwhelming, sure, but was anyone really expecting anything more? Racer Tony looks pretty good for what it is. I actually really dig the new face on Fury. It may not be much, but it's nice that DST didn't just clone the existing Fury. The BD versions look fine. So, sure, nothing jaw-dropping here, but all welcome additions to the IM2 line.

I was careful to check out a few pictures of Nascar race drivers before mentioning Formula One drivers because I am aware of the chasm between North American & European perceptions of Motor Racing. I realise we are discussing how a Minimate is dressed but this was a huge opportunity to come up with something really different.....a guy dressed in a Nomex with tons of sponsoring looking like a racing driver . S.T.A.R.K. being painted diagonally on the guys chest is just pathetic , give him some sponsors tags & emblazon STARK on his back & maybe you're getting a racing driver .....beauty queens have diagonal sashes <_< Little details make mundane characters into great Minimates ....this could have been one . My research on Nascar shows some of the most amazing overalls/suits which would make Tony's day.

I was careful to check out a few pictures of Nascar race drivers before mentioning Formula One drivers because I am aware of the chasm between North American & European perceptions of Motor Racing. I realise we are discussing how a Minimate is dressed but this was a huge opportunity to come up with something really different.....a guy dressed in a Nomex with tons of sponsoring looking like a racing driver . S.T.A.R.K. being painted diagonally on the guys chest is just pathetic , give him some sponsors tags & emblazon STARK on his back & maybe you're getting a racing driver .....beauty queens have diagonal sashes <_< Little details make mundane characters into great Minimates ....this could have been one . My research on Nascar shows some of the most amazing overalls/suits which would make Tony's day.

While I agree that the millions of little sponsorship patches would have made this figure more appealing, sadly, I think what we got better matches the source material. Besides, Tony has the money to sponsor his own car, so I doubt he'd need the nickels and dimes that Goodyear and the like would throw his way for an endorsement.

Of course, it would have been a golden opportunity for them to reference the inevitable endorsement deals that the Iron Man 2 movie itself will be benefiting from as the movie approaches the release date.

I would speculate now that Black Widow will be in a short-packed TRU 2-pack.

:thumbsup:

Agreed. She's the one figure, besides the Racecar Tony, that i was super-excited for when they showd the trailer. Not getting her is a crime.

Incredibly underwhelming boxset. I can make a MORE DETAILED Movie Fury now with all the Ult. Parts and Sabretooth's trenchcoat. AND mine would have a gun and holster. Lame. The BD versions are underwhelming. there is only on Iron Man ovie BD i have ever wntedand that was BD Monger, because he looks like he should be Damaged instead of Clean, being based off of Tony's cave designs and all. These are just boring.

I LOVE Racecar Tony, though. Now that is a great Minimate!! Unless he gets a TRU rerelease, he's the only reason i'm buing thi set. Everything but him is pointless and redundant.

I agree with BHM. Though I don't know the logistics of trying to create little sponsors' patches all over Tony, that could look amazing if done right. I don't generally care for Nascar in any way, but a Minimate Nascar driver could be really great.

But then, why would Tony Stark need other sponsors for his racing team?

886630-stark_super.png

This is how he looks in the movie, the mate looks how Stark looks in the movie. Why would they make him look different?