UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Iron Man II Movie Minimates General Discussion

rx78jj

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy flashbacks and spoilers Batman! There's so much going on with these waves!

I can't tell if that Mark I is identical to the original wave 21 or if it's got a slightly different paint job. Hopefully I can live without it (that is if the Minimate Completist Virus doesn't eat away at me first). But that Mark II Rhodey/Black Widow pack... God, I feel so heartbroken. :(

There's something about the likeness on Senate Hearing Tony though... I can't tell if it's a better Downey likeness or not, it certainly seems a notch above the wave 21 Tonys. I do however quite like that the expression has some air of realistic gravitas to it. I'm getting more and more impressed with the design execution on mates nowadays.

P.S. I meant "heartbroken" in that I'm too poor and lazy to possibly ever get my hands on that pack.

As I don't really want spoilers I probably shouldn't be keeping up with the release info for Iron Man 2!

I wonder if the Mark 1 and Mark II are there for storyline reasons or to just bulk out the waves as reuses?

Definitely a new paint job on the Mark 1 armor - the arc reactor is now blue, not light yellow, it's missing the numbers stamped next to the reactor, and it looks like the arms are black now, not flesh-colored.

The courtroom Tony is nice - the facial expression is great, plus it's nice to see those Godfather suit pieces get used somewhere.

Black Widow is nice - nice new belt/holster piece, plus I think she's got her wrist bracelets?

As for the Mark 2 with Jim Rhodes - I'm sure it ties into the movie, but it's the cleverest reissue of a variant that not the variant they've done so far.

Definitely a new paint job on the Mark 1 armor - the arc reactor is now blue, not light yellow, it's missing the numbers stamped next to the reactor, and it looks like the arms are black now, not flesh-colored.

The courtroom Tony is nice - the facial expression is great, plus it's nice to see those Godfather suit pieces get used somewhere.

I just double-checked the old Godfather proto pics, and the suit piece on Senate Hearing Tony doesn't appear to match any of them. It's a completely new sculpt! :ohmy: (Justin Hammer's suit looks like a reuse of Michael Corleone's though.)

And the black arms on the Mark I might mean that there's a blank Minimate underneath. That or Tony in a plain black bodysuit.

I just double-checked the old Godfather proto pics, and the suit piece on Senate Hearing Tony doesn't appear to match any of them. It's a completely new sculpt! :ohmy: (Justin Hammer's suit looks like a reuse of Michael Corleone's though.)

And the black arms on the Mark I might mean that there's a blank Minimate underneath. That or Tony in a plain black bodysuit.

You're right - that is a new suit jacket with sculpted tie. My bad for thinking it was part of the Godfather set. I shall wake up with a tiny Minimate horse head in my bed tomorrow as punishment.

I wish we had gotten this much product from X3 though.

:D I was actually looking at some X3 'Mates last night for the first time in ages & they are really quite nice despite their reputation. I never could understand why we had that period where Marvel minimates were hidden from view in their packages ? That was a dumb move in my opinion & is it just coincidence that Minimates have soared in popularity since they've come out of the closet? No way. The original Iron Man Wave also suffered because of this situation although the packaging artwork was far superior . The IM2 packaging is a winner.

I cant wait for black widow the toys r us im2 wave looks good!!!

However, I find it hysterical that DST keeps covering up the Mark V (triangle chest armor) minimate even though there's a picture of the armor from the movie on the packaging and AFX showed the battle damaged version already. what's the big secret?

I'm guessing that it stems from the license contract and them taking it a bit too seriously. Of course, it could be that AFX wasn't taking it seriously enough, but then you could consider that Hasbro has shown off their Iron Man 2 wares. But, then again, Hasbro is a bigger company than DST, so they might be able to get away with skirting the rules.

Ah, this stuff is too complicated for me.

So we've got:

Wave 35:

Mark IV Iron Man/Whiplash

Mark VI Iron Man/War Machine

Pepper Potts/Hammer Drone

Happy Hogan/Hammer Drone

TRU Wave:

Mark IV Iron Man/Whiplash

Mark VI Iron Man/War Machine

James Rhodes in Mark II Armor/Black Widow

Mark I Iron Man/Senate Hearing Tony Stark

"Stark Expo" 2-Pack

Stark Expo Tony Stark/Natalie Romanova

"Battle Tactics" Box Set

Nick Fury/Race Track Tony Stark/Battle Damaged Mark VI Iron Man/Battle Damaged War Machine

Army Builder Dump:

Justin Hammer

Air Assault Drone

Ground Assault Drone

Sea Assault Drone

Tactical Assault Drone

Battle Damaged Hammer Drone

With these and the drones, the official IM2 Minimate count is up to 23 figures. Thankfully, they'll only take up one regular wave and not 2 (like SM3). I wish we had gotten this much product from X3 though.

Really? i didn't think there was very much love out there for X3 'Mates.

I agree though - i box-set tie in with maybe Magneto, Mystique, Rogue & Iceman would have been nice. And maybe a Cyclops & X-Suit Jean two-pack as a TRU exclusive :)

Anyway - back on topic . . . i'm very glad t see we're getting a BlackWidow other than the one in the leopard-skin dress. This one will look quite nice amongst the movie-mates - hope i can find one!

I'm quite excited about that War Machine too. He's a VERY nice looking Mini.

As for the Mark 2 with Jim Rhodes - I'm sure it ties into the movie, but it's the cleverest reissue of a variant that not the variant they've done so far.

I'm quite sure that Rhodes gives the suit a look of longing in the first film and makes a comment about 'next time' implying he'd back to give the suit a try.

EDIT: I think we're gonna hear a few people ark up about the 're-issue' of the Mark II Armour. Sure - it'll have a Rhodes head underneath . . . but will fans complain that it's 'too similar' to the original (which was also a variant)? Or will the Rhodes head & lack of rivets on the new one make it different enough?

Edited by Nessex

EDIT: I think we're gonna hear a few people ark up about the 're-issue' of the Mark II Armour. Sure - it'll have a Rhodes head underneath . . . but will fans complain that it's 'too similar' to the original (which was also a variant)? Or will the Rhodes head & lack of rivets on the new one make it different enough?

It looks like this MkII has the same new helmet sculpt as the MkIV (the helmet from IM1 wave had a removable faceplate and wasn't as rounded-looking). So that makes it kind of new... I'm more surprised at the straight reissue of the MkI armor.

The most confusing thing is the Mark V/Mark VI naming thing. Sometimes DST is labeling the triangle chest piece armor as Mark V, sometimes as Mark VI.

Hasbro has this labeled as Mark V:

http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss343/IrOnPaTrIoT/2-7.jpg

http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss343/IrOnPaTrIoT/3-3.jpg

And this labeled as Mark VI:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/aha...tu/Aim/8IM2.jpg

Both are included in the movie line of figures, and all of the other figures in that line are definitely in the movie (War Machine, Mark IV Iron Man, Tactical Assault Drone, Whiplash, etc)

Edited by blizzerd

what's our time estimate on release of these? the other tru wave hasn't come out yet, right?

I believe these are listed in the TRU computer systems under their own SKU number. Just like how the Wolverine Origins minimates were. I expect we'll get wave 6 of normal marvel and these will follow shortly after

I'm more surprised at the straight reissue of the MkI armor.

it's actually not a straight reissue... the arc reactor is the correct blue this time not yellow like the original. (also his arms look to be black rather then flesh/muddy.

...Also, is that a second head to the figure's upper's left? If so maybe there's a spoilerific reason to reissue the mark one, maybe it's not Tony in the armor?

I'm more surprised at the straight reissue of the MkI armor.

it's actually not a straight reissue... the arc reactor is the correct blue this time not yellow like the original. (also his arms look to be black rather then flesh/muddy.

...Also, is that a second head to the figure's upper's left? If so maybe there's a spoilerific reason to reissue the mark one, maybe it's not Tony in the armor?

I think that's extra set of hands.

i think i know what there doing.i think there just reissuing most original mates(with some tweakes)so the people who didnt get the first ones will get these new ones.

but i love these matesall of themim gonna feel really bad for my walletgbut in the inside,i wont care!:)