UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Iron Man II Movie Minimates General Discussion

rx78jj

Nothing like rendering a debate moot with a single image. Nice one, Bliz.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know these aren't minimates. . . but i'd be happy to see ANY if the last 4 customs this guy has done as Villains in a 616 IronMan boxset to co-inside with the movie:

http://i.marvelousnews.com/g/index.php?mod...600&start=0

Here's a side question... and yeah it does relate to the subject matter... a common complaint I've seen on this board has been that something with a lot of sculpted details, like the assault drones and even the movie Iron Men, "don't look like minimates." Generally if is moves much past a standard minimate blank, with a mask and or cape or maybe a plain PH chest piece, then it's not a good thing.

So my question is, how else are AA/DST supposed to make representations of some of theses characters, like the drones, or Iron Monger, or say Whirlwind? (who IMO would look silly with his mask painted on a standard head cylinder.)

I think it's a tough line to toe at times, but ultimately a Minimate can be broken down into body and head. IMO, if the body retains a solid blockiness, then the head can be less standard. (See Salaak). On the other hand, if the body is very detailed, the head should keep the general Minimate shape. (See Iron Monger) In the case of the various drones, they are very detailed in body AND they have non-Minimate shaped heads. Another thing I look at is whether the details are slip-on parts or sculpted parts. That's a slight problem I for one have with the movie IM 'mates- they have sculpted legs instead of slip on boots. But, you know, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think Salaak and Iron Monger take the basic Minimate to the limit, and the heavily sculpted movie IM 'mates really hug the line, but the drones and the Battle Beast guy really cross the line. Don't get me wrong. They look good, and I really look forward to owning them, but they really turn it up a level. I just don't think I'm ready for eleven.

In the case of the drones, I think that regular heads with a great paint job would do the trick.

Edited by Turtle

The "sculpted details" debate to me seems to tie into how late or early into the Minimate game you started collecting. It's one of those Your Mileage May Vary things where everybody has their own personal criteria for what constitutes the 'mate equivalent of the Uncanny Valley.

It's not just sculpted details either; similar debates have also sprung up over things like the recent slipcover mask used on Spider-Man, or even painted details (like if you compare the different Daredevil minimates that came out). To me S.T.R.I.P.E. really skirts the line between the traditional Minimate and excess, not just with the sculpting but with his irregular scale.

We all have a passing familiarity with the formula DST uses when designing Minimates, and while some 'mates may look more elaborate than others the thing to consider is how well DST captures the essence of the character at the block-figure level.

:D OK so now I'm a fan of the movie-likeness in relation to the Stark minimate . I would now take a different tack by saying that someone at the studios asked the question "How are we going to get a few shots of Iron-Man in leather .....just like we've been able to do with the other hero-guys?" Me? I just love leather jackets but I've always drawn the line at leather trousers...a bit too 'Village' for me....I do however understand 'leathers' for bikers & there is undoubted attraction by the fairer sex to men in leather. This leads me nicely into the 'Natasha Zone' because she has just got to be dressed in black leather in the movie...if she appears...& perhaps whilst Tony's in his leathers!!

Anyway what would I know ? Not a lot.... but I do know you'd roast in any car in leathers .....way before the damn thing caught fire in a potential crash .

Commenting on what Turtle said about the minimates and that blurry line they seem to be at, I too think that the drones pretty much broke the line. The Cylons on BSG, too me, were at the pinnacle of minimate design, in regards to robotic minimate thingies. My absolute favorite from the Iron Man movie line is the Iron Monger. I remember when I first got it, I thought to myself, "WOW, this is awesome." but it still felt like a minimate to me, even though it was very detailed compared to other minimates. Yet, it still felt minimate like. we are already past the 30 mark on series and we are getting variations of detail design on the minimates. From the overly complex to the simple yet tasteful. Point in fact is the Swordsman and Yellow Jacket. Not overly complex and yet they still drive home the point that they are minimate representations of who they are trying to portray. you win some and you lose some. I'm just glad that this line has survived as long as it has. :) I think that there is a middle ground that can be struck at where it wont be so detailed, IM2 drone, or so crappy as the originals were, Composite Spiderman/ Peter Parker or Ultimate Jean Grey.

Don't know about Widow, but a plainclothes ScarJo mate is up on DST's site, as a Chicago convention exclusive.

Good catch. Since they have a face tampo and a hairpiece ready to go for her, I cannot imagine they wouldn't re-use them and make a movie Black Widow.

After all, if they're going to make "Tony Stark in a polo shirt", then they sure as hell can make a movie Black Widow.

UNRELATED EDIT: Huh - daily Minimate giveaway at C2E2? I should think about going ...

Edited by boyd

So AFX has said, on their Facebook page, that their 4-pack exclusive WILL be made available to non-attendees through their website. So what about the Tony / Natalia Romanova set? Anybody think DST'll make it available through their site after the C2E2 show?.... Probably not..... "sigh".....

Ebay... I'll be waiting.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

Unification Spock doesn't usually go for much, but I haven't really seen it that much.

It generally works that the fools :whistling: pay stupid money at 'the release' of any promo/con exclusive declining dramatically as the heat goes off http://cgi.ebay.com/STAR-TREK-MINIMATES-UN...=item3ca90b6acb

Edited by buttheadsmate

So, if the Marvel Studios films are part of the same universe, we're really developing a large collection of characters from it. At the moment, we have:

Iron Man/Stark

Iron Monger

Pepper Potts

Jim Rhodes/War Machine

Raza

Hulk/Banner

Abomination/Blonsky

Betty Ross

General Ross

Happy Hogan

Whiplash

Justin Hammer

Hammer Drones

Black Widow

Nick Fury

Plus countless variations and costumes. I approve of this. I can't wait to see what comes out of the Thor and Captain America films... not to mention The Avengers...

The Thor movie mates are going to be crazy. There are going to be a ton of characters in that flick and the potential for a lot of mates, without resorting to minor clothing changes (although there will undoubtedly be a few Thor variants)

Thor

Loki

Odin

Jane Foster

Fandral

Hogun

Volstagg

Sif

Heimdall

Frigga

Frost Giants

Dark Elves

And More!

Edited by blizzerd

Realistic looking Thor characters in minimate form? I don't know if I would buy them, but I wouldn't mind seeing them.