UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Iron Man II Movie Minimates General Discussion

rx78jj

With that in mind. The Mandarin would have to be somewhat less powerful than his comic book self. I read one of the last comics he came out in, when he tried to spread Extremis to the whole world and Tony had a ring on his ankle that did not allow him to use his powers. He put a beat down on Iron Man with his bare hands! It was one of the best "human" against Iron Man fights ever. I wonder if that would translate well on the movie screen?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, so let me get this straight...

Fin Fang Foom is an alien navigator? :blink:

Well, everybody needs a career you know, long term goals and such. Rampaging monster is more of a hobby than a job, a sideline really. Now, though, Foom's been working as a chinese chef in a litle take out joint in the Baxter Building. (I wish I were kidding)

With that in mind. The Mandarin would have to be somewhat less powerful than his comic book self. I read one of the last comics he came out in, when he tried to spread Extremis to the whole world and Tony had a ring on his ankle that did not allow him to use his powers. He put a beat down on Iron Man with his bare hands! It was one of the best "human" against Iron Man fights ever. I wonder if that would translate well on the movie screen?

The degree of the Mandarin's marial arts skills have fluctuated greatly over the years. Last appearance had him as superhumanly skilled, though with a pair of bionic arms. Really in the films, it wouldn't be too hard to translate. Tony is basically an unskilled fighter in full movement restircting armor. (which is much, much less powerful than it's comic's counterpart) Knocking him around wouldn't be too hard, and damaging the suit not beyond the realm of possibility for a skilled fighter. (all those shifting panels and a little leverage)

Edited by Mirymate

Actually Alien Tech would not work too well in the world of Iron Man or in the MU as set up in the films. HOWEVER as Iron Man 3 would HAVE to be after The Avengers by the current schedule, is it too far fetched to see the Mandarin stealing Asgardian weaponry? Ten Asgardian rings, for example.

Another possibly more realistic explanation, while getting the Aliens in there, is that The Mandarin made the rings himself. But to inspire fear in the people he makes it seem that the rings are more powerful than what human technology can do by creating a fake alien skeleton and a fake alien craft as an elaborate lie to tell people that is IS alien tech. Makes the rings seem more badass than "Yeah. I made these. Fear me."

Which leaves Fin Fang Foom open as a biotech experiment meant to further the Mandarin's elaborate lie.

Edited by Trekker 42

Would it really be that hard to work straight up "magic" into Iron Man? I think people are either taking the movie too seriously or thinking audiences have no suspension of belief when they think Thor will be hard to work into Avengers or the Mandarin will need major reworking to be in Iron Man 3.

A writing teacher of my mine used to say "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.... unless you salt his oats!" meaning if you gradually work an audience up to the idea of "this guy shoots magic from his fingers" they're more likely to accept it then if you just drop it out of nowhere and say "yeah, Iron Man takes place in our world but look his guys magic!"

There's already some ques in the first film that set up for this:

-Tony Stark builds his arc reactor in a cave from a box of scraps. dirty, rusty, scraps. Not only does his dirty rusty thing WORK he then has his doctor friend cut open his chest in the middle of said dirty cave and sink the rusty piece of junk into his chest. Tony's body don't reject having a large dirty metal object transplanted into it, nor does it get infected causing him to die quicker.... so right now, if audiences can suspend their belief about how science works, maybe magic isn't so crazy.

-In addition to crazy surgery Tony's got the whole taking house, semi-sentient robot arm helpers, interactive holographic computer displays, real time dialog translators that pick up on inflection in voice, arc reactors that fit in the palm of your hand but could power a house forever, and an at home robot suit prototyper that would only take a couple hours to build a fully functional high tech suit.... basically for as much as Iron Man is set in "the real world" there's some crazy stuff going on already science wise that makes it clearly a "different reality" so some guy showing up with magic rings isn't going to be "pfffff! that dosen't happen!" point or most people.

-Nick Fury's line "you're part of a bigger universe... you just don't know it yet" right there implies Tony doesn't know dick about the superhero world around him. Done right Tony can met Thor and fight Mandarin, their magical powers can confuse Tony and he becomes the audiences "in" to learning how exactly that works in the "real world"

Plus Mandarin has one major thing going for him: He's Chinese

Most audiences will believe "Asian=Spiritual Mystics" it's why you can go to a "health food" store and find gross baggies of "dried Xiang Quaoi Shang root" crazy white people will drink as tea because it cures headaches or something in a more natural way, despite the fact modern China is heavily polluted and uses Western Medicine. Just have the Mandarin yell something like "These rings belong to my ancestors, their great power allowed Genghis Khan himself to conquer the global and so shall I do the same!!" and right there most people will be all "okay, so their like Chinese magic rings, got ya!" ..... and so long as Mandarins rings are element based and they don't make him too powerful (just keep it to martial arts and shoots magic bolts) people will buy it as "Asian Mystical Powers"

(but maybe I'm wrong, After I wrote this I began to think: If a man with a robotic arm, like nothing fancy just a robot arm to replace a missing one. Showed up in the Next Harry Potter movie and explained his arm was made using Muggle Science, no magic at all but was a really cool looking and well working arm... would people buy it since HP has such a strong anti-Muggle message. Are people taking away from Iron Man a "magic is stupid, let's ROCK IT WITH SCIENCE!!!" message?)

psst....it is a comic book movie.

people go in with a suspension of disbelief....i cant think of anyone that would say...alien rings? well that just made the story of a guy in a metal suit flying faster than sound totally unrealistic.

moc847

While I totally agree with you, you'd be surprised by what can yank a person out of a movie. A friend of mine decided Daredevil was totally unrealistic after Bullseye killed the bar fly with a paper clip. Not the blind guy dodging bullets with radioactive radar senses, no it was the paper clip. >shrug<

And I think alien tech fits in with Iron Man movie universe better than magic in that it's a technology beyond Stark's. The IM suits are going to come out of IM2 as being the height of humanly possible tech. That's just kinda where their leading us. So how to you top that? Alien tech. The Mandarin commands a technology beyond what Stark himself could build, and that would add a layer of frustration for Stark. Now I'm not suggesting that the rings function as "magically" as the do in the comics, that would be a bit too much. But some system by which the Mandarin focuses and controls some kind of alien tech power source primarily through ten rings is what I'd find preferable. (heck, something akin to the "flying yellow battery of death" Sinestro controled in the Green Lantern animated movie, but commanded by the Mandarin's rings, would look really cool.)

Now magic works in any Iron Man setting because Tony hates it so much. And I'll admit it would be funny to see how many different ways Downey could say "I really hate magic." and keep the PG "family friendly" rating.

Weirdly enough, I decided Iron Man was unrealistic after the bachelor pad airplane. :lol:

At first I was skeptical about how the movies would incorporate the Mandarin too. But then I figured that this same universe was about to receive a crimefighting Norse god and a revived WW2-era human popsicle, so perhaps some Asian guy with power rings would be the least of the filmmakers' worries.

Alien Tech

After thinking about the matter for awhile, you know, just ignore my giant rant... I just realized: I can't wrap my brain around the concept of "Alien Tech" working.

Why did the aliens crash on Earth? Why haven't they comeback? Will they come back? Are they with us or against us? Are the Mandarins rings unique or does each ship have it's own set of 10 rings?

so now for something completely different:

Can the Savage Lands work in the movies?

I think the next movie with Iron Man be it 3 or Avengers (or even 2 if they can make it quick enough) is a scene where he suits up and walks to an open Window, Pepper is all like "Where you going?" and Tony's all like "Eh, no where really, just out for a flight" cut to him whizzing past a tropical jungle, he finds himself flying with a flock of pterasaurs, he rolls away and narrowly avoids being chomped on by a T-Rex, he streaks over the surface of a lake and a brontosaurus looms it's head out, munching on greenery. Tony then blast off into the sky *BINK!* (if you need a random cameo, on a hill in the foreground watching him leave are Ka-Zar and Sheena) cut back to him landing at his office window pulling off his helmet, Pepper says "How was your flight, boss?" he says "Okay I guess, nothing special..."

In my opinion there's no way in hell that could work with that level of set up (just random trip, dinosaurs, home.) but it would be the funniest thing every just see people who don't know what the savage lands is try and process why there's random dinosaurs.

Why did the aliens crash on Earth? Why haven't they comeback? Will they come back? Are they with us or against us? Are the Mandarins rings unique or does each ship have it's own set of 10 rings?

Car trouble. No really, I don't remember a detailed explanation given as to why the Makluans crashed, just that they crashed. If you'll recall, there is a naturally acuring nexus of stable worm holes (reffered to by the Shi'ar as Stargates) in solar orbit in 616 Earth's solar system. Which why military powers like the Skrulls and Kree are always so interested in Earth as they want to control travel through the worm holes, and why random aliens from across the universe stop by from time to time on their way past. So we're not unlike a quaint little country gas station just off the interstate exit.

As to will they come back... if some writer wants them too, sure. And are the 10 rings unique... that's a good question. And one I hope they answer someday.

so now for something completely different:

Can the Savage Lands work in the movies?

As a purpose driven location, yes. By that I mean the heroes go there on purpose for something. Whether anyone knows about the Dinosaurs before hand is optional.

Your hook is the Vibranium there. The only other large known deposit is well guarded in Wakanda, so some geo sattilite discovering more in an unguarded location would bring all kinds of attention. As to the Dinos there, well can't you see SLJ deliverying the following line to a bunch of stunned Avengers:

"Did I forget to mention the smurfin' wildlife? Smurfed up ain't it? Our side smurfin' found 'em in the 50's. Everybody decided to shut the smurf up about 'em. Why else would smurfin' NATO have a smurfin' base down here."

Hmmm. I could totally see that. That would be a great cliffhanger. But I'm still a little iffy about the alien power rings. Something just doesn't jive. Oh and about the bionics on the Mandarin, I looked at the comic and they were his forearms that Stark actually manufactures because his rings were put inside his back in his spine i think.

Oh and about the bionics on the Mandarin, I looked at the comic and they were his forearms that Stark actually manufactures because his rings were put inside his back in his spine i think.

Mandarin has twice lost his hands. When Iron Man and the Mandarin combined their power to defeat the Makluan's dragons, the energies burned off the Mandarin's hands and part of his forearms. They initially grew back with a decidedly reptilian appearance. Since one of his rings allowed him to rearrange matter, he restored them to normal later. But the Mandarin was badly defeated by Iron Man, the Avengers, and the Winter Guard when the Mandarin attempted to take over Russia. Though he appeared to die when his "Dragon of Heaven" warship was destroyed, apparently the bloodied and weakened Mandarin was finally captured and imprisoned by his communist Chinese foes. The Chinese chopped off the Mandarin's hands again to prevent him from using the rings. Chinese authorities intended try and use the rings themselves, but agents of the Mandarin smuggled the hands to his son, who used the rings to briefly became the second Mandarin. The son decided that the whole "super-villain" thing wasn't for him, and relinquished the rings back to the Mandarin's agents, who restored them to their master upon his recent escape. Why he didn't simply use the rings to restore his hands again, that I don't know.

Yup; to be precise we saw the blacked-out Wave 35 lineup pic when the news first came out, and the War Machine photo was scooped in this post ;)

To date the few IM2 Minimates we have yet to see prototype pics of include the "mystery army builder", the Mark V(?)*, whatever exclusives will be coming out of C2E2 and TRU, and the "bonus" exclusive from the recently-announced army builder singles set.

Now we already know what the Wave 35 lineup is, but the C2E2, TRU and singles Minimates are anybody's guess at this point. Personally I'd like to see Minimates of new armors, Black Widow, Justin Hammer, and that racecar driver Tony we'd been seeing in the photos/trailers, but for now we are at DST's mercy.

_______

*Earlier in the thread there was one heck of a hubbub over how many armors were really showing up in the sequel: some say three, some say three including the old Mark III armor, some say there's an Extremis armor and a weird red-and-silver armor thing apparently powered by Tony's crotch involved, and still some are confused enough to say War Machine is an Iron Man armor.

... all we know is, he's called The Stig this is going to be a messy year for Iron Man 2 Minimates.

Saw a link earlier today on another site, but can't find it now sorry, to an ebay auction of a packaging mockup prototype toy for a "MK VI" armor according to the packaging. It was the triangle chested armor seen depidted in the front-of-card art for all the IM2 product shown so far. Take that with the earlier salt grains.

Nice to have a big clear picture.. beauty of a mate. Any word on when the official release of the entire wave picture will be?

I pulled out my old Iron Man 1 movie mates.. still some of my favorite mates of all time. I hope the final products for the 2nd flick look that good!!

[Higgins] Good God, Man![/Higgins]

I hope not for two reasons: IM2 is already on the verge of being an overcrowded movie with three main characters returning (Tony, Pepper, and Rhodey), a promised bigger role for two more (Happy and Fury), and introducing three new ones (Justin, Vanko, and 'Tasha). You've got quarter movie's worth of dialog just in exposition for that right there. Add another fairly important Iron Man villain to the mix, and give her her due, and now you barely have time to breathe... let alone spend enough time with any of these characters for the audience to give a tinker's cuss.

And secondly, to call Munn an actress is like saying the Fifth Element had a comprehensible plot. The Big M deserves better. Munn is eye candy and should be used as such.