UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Spider-Man 5-Pack

EricM

Decided to check out this comic shop out in Livermore, CA. today during my lunch break to see what minimates he had.

I walk in and see the blue box with Spiderman on top of it and I shook my head thinking no. I haven't seen this set in a

while and I skipped on it the first time I saw cause I wasn't collecting minimates at the time. This guy had 3 boxes for 17.99 a piece. So I picked it up since I drove all that way.

Pretty cool. Finally got Hydro-Man and a very cool looking Sandman. Glad I can add two more Spidey Rogues to my modest spidey display.

My main Sandman on display has the legs from that 5-pack version. He looks like delicious, watered down Coca Cola.

That Venom sucks, though.

Hydroman was "meh" to me. Didn't care much one way or the other. I dig blue and red Spidey variants, though.

Edited by karamazov80

Wow, I actually liked the Sandman figure and hated the Hydroman minimate. I thought he looked like an outcast from the very early, happier looking minimate waves, not the more detailed waves that we have been getting for quite a while now. The reuse of Cyclops hair really kills the minimate for me. He could have looked so much cooler.

You know, The Hydro Man does look like some of the earlier minimates from the beginning of the the series way back when. This is not necessarily a bad thing though. I kinda liked those simpler versions of heroes and villains. Not that today's minimates are bad but some are getting way too detailed and i don't know if anyone else has noticed, or just likes it, but the paint has been getting a bit drab and dark. Its not as bright as one would expect. Now i don't know if that's how they interpret it from the comics or it may just be a new direction they are going with. But i think they should find a middle ground with the detail and paint. Just a thought from an old collector. :D

I love Hyrdroman, Sandman is eh, and Venom is awful. Such a tiny face...

But we did get one really good villain from the set.

I always use the Venom head with the tongue sticking out imo the best Venom head we've ever gotten so I never really noticed his lil face. My display Eddie Brock Venom is a mix of the several Venom mates we've gotten over the years.

• 2 weeks later...

As a fan of water based characters (or "Hydrokinetics" - love those words), I'm really glad Hydroman was in this set. Granted I'd have liked it if he was in the costume The Wizard made for him, but beggers can't be choosers.

I missed out on the wave 10 Sandman, so I was pleased to get this one. I do feel he would have been better if he was the peach/pink colour he was in previews or the sand colour from the SM3 waves, but other than that I like this mate. We get half human/half sand versions of him and sandblasts, both of which are great touches IMO.