UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimate Stands and Dioramas!

Thanks for the comments guys! I actually made a flying stand, but I had a lot of trouble casting it, so I pushed it back to Series 2 in March. It will need some modifications still. Besides the casting troubles, I also didn't have the foot pegs high enough, so the mates would fall off easily. I will start reworking it after the holidays are over, and hopefully have some previews pics in late January. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a bit of good news and a bit of bad news. First the good: anyone who ordered the Broken Window Diorama (or the combo) will be receiving some loose minimate-sized wooden boards (made of resin) to accompany the set. I though that people might want to cover up the wall peg for scenes where it isn't used, and some old boards set up against the wall would fit right in with the environment. :)

The bad news is that I have run into some production troubles with the Training Room Dioramas, and I have taken them out of the store for now. I will be able to fill some of the orders for these, but not all of them. For those of you affected by this, I will be contacting you this weekend with specifics. I will update this thread with more information on these sets as I have it.

I will take a picture of the wooden boards with the Broken Window set and some minimates this weekend and post it here!

Ha! I wonder if they will ever attempt something like this on a minimate scale?

Those of you who have already received your Broken Wall and Window combo will have found the extra wooden boards that I mentioned above. If you haven't received your combo yet, I have a bunch shipping out tomorrow. Here is the picture of the boards as promised:

brokenwindow8.jpg

:D

• 1 month later...

The Training Room Dioramas will be going back up for order later this week, with a few changes!

trainingroomR1-1.jpg

trainingroomR1-2.jpg

trainingroomR1-3.jpg

trainingroomR1.jpg

The new battle-damaged look was a necessary addition to these dioramas, as I was not able to overcome the complications I was having with rough edges and spots of discoloration. These visual blemishes look great on the Broken Wall and Window Dioramas, so I decided to just go with it, and make them a part of the look and feel of the Training Room sets as well. I will post pictures of the 2nd set of stickers with these in the next few days.

I am still working on making molds that can keep a smooth surface and a consistent color after dozens of copies are made, but experimenting with different brands and methods is going to take some time. The next series of dioramas will likely still retain this rough appearance. I am planning for a Rooftop Diorama to be one of these sets. This was one of the most popular requests, and I will make sure to do it justice. :)

I thought that the eye beam came from the Wolverine:Origins Cyclops figure?

Yes that is correct. And so far I have not had good luck casting clear items. I need to get a pressure pot, and that is $500+ for all of the supplies I would need!

Yes that is correct. And so far I have not had good luck casting clear items. I need to get a pressure pot, and that is $500+ for all of the supplies I would need!

I feel your pain. I've been hemming and hawing about investing in a rig for a couple years now, but the high cost of that equipment has always kept me from taking the plunge. I managed to score a vacuum pump for $50 shipped on ebay a few months back, but I still haven't seen a pressure pot or vacuum jar at a low enough price, and the one is useless without the other... :/

I thought that the eye beam came from the Wolverine:Origins Cyclops figure?

Origins, no. Wolverine & The X-Men, yes.

A figure I don't want, and can't afford to waste money on just for its accessory.

And so far I have not had good luck casting clear items. I need to get a pressure pot, and that is $500+ for all of the supplies I would need!

Sh**!! :ohmy:

Talk to Timbo. He's cast alot of translucent 'Mate pieces...

The comic book figure of Cyclops in his Astonishing X-Men costume from the Origins line

:huh: I didn't know there was one...

Yeah - it's not a bad figure either actually. I picked one up form a guy on here to help me pad out my 3 3/4" X-Men collection.

post-2737-1265420227_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

New Diorama:

Time Travel Platform!

time_platform1.jpg

time_platform3.jpg

time_platform2.jpg

This stylish device is available for all of your Minimates' time travel needs! You can display the chrome platform along with the included computer terminal, or separate them to use in different areas of your display. The platform is plated with stainless steel on top of a hard clay base.

The computer terminal is obviously made of legos. Some of them are glued together in different places in order to make it look more un-lego-like, but if you want to, you can switch the monitor around to face in different directions.

I am probably going to have more stands and dioramas like this one in the future. Further experiments with molding and casting have not worked out so well!

I hope you like it! :)

You can find it here in the store: http://lukestoystore.com/titrpl.html

I like this! A very fun idea for a display. It can probably also double as a teleporter or something *wink wink*

"This device does not actually travel through time"

How long have you wanted to get to post a disclaimer like this one, Luke? :P