UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimate Stands and Dioramas!

Hey Luke. I dont know what size operation you are running but I am under the impression it an upstart small business. Obviously there is a lot of interest in these displays and I think you should be moving quite a few units. With all these suggestions, some (including my own) being quite complicated this will be a big strain you and each piece will be quite time consuming. I would suggest that to keep prices down and your sanity intact, sell these unpainted. You should be able to ship more items and avoid a ton of back orders that way. Maybe pre-painted displays can be sold at a premium? But hey this is your business... feel free to tell me to shut the hell up.

This is something I have been considering ever since I first started working on these, and I thought about many of the things you mentioned. I want to make these look great for everyone at a low price, whether or not they have painting skills. So I will be mostly casting these in solid colors, sometimes using several different colored pieces on one set, and providing stickers to add additional details. Some of the sets, like the broken wall diorama, will have a quick paint wash applied by me, which is not time consuming at all, so it does not really add much to the price.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be thrilled to see an article at the Minimate Factory on how you make these. Ya know, because I'm sure you have so much extra time on your hands.

I am already working on an article showing the creation of one part of a diorama I haven't finished yet. After the new year I will probably make a larger article on the creation of a full diorama. :)

imgp0602q.jpg

Luke, this is what I was trying to explain last week. A three tiered display stand. Mine also has flat lego slabs on it which the 'mates are pegged onto. Quite austere but then again they take nothing away from what's on display.

Luke, this is what I was trying to explain last week. A three tiered display stand. Mine also has flat lego slabs on it which the 'mates are pegged onto. Quite austere but then again they take nothing away from what's on display.

Ah, I see. Yes, that would be very nice to have. I will add that to the list of possibilities. :)

If you consider producing those, you might also factor in the fact that Minimates are not very tall or wide (from front to back) on the whole. As such, you could probably fit more than 3 rows of Minimates on a stand as wide and high as Rad's if you weren't restricted by the three existing "steps." I have been using custom stands out of LEGOs that would take up about the same amount of space but go four rows back.

Edited by karamazov80

and a compartment that holds all the accessories.

Oooh, now this sounds like a marvellous idea! Though it might be even more insanely awesome if we got something like this:

hawkeye.jpg

... only for Minimates. ;)

That would be cool, but it would be a nightmare pumping them out for every Minimate that's been produced. I was just thinking something like those stairsteps Rad was showing with a hollowed out bottom so you could just cram all the accessories for those on that display in there for storage purposes.

Dammit, now I want separate displays for everyone with stands for all their gear!

Maybe something like a solid base with a generic hat-rack-type stand can work? Maybe some hook-shaped pegs to hang stuff from can work, purely as display pieces should anyone feel so inclined. Something like the generic bases for these:

3597266418_61afbb4404.jpg

and a compartment that holds all the accessories.

Oooh, now this sounds like a marvellous idea! Though it might be even more insanely awesome if we got something like this:

hawkeye.jpg

... only for Minimates. ;)

First, Clint would need to steal some hair. Then sure.

I have run into a small production delay, so these will probably be released in the 2nd week of December now. Apparently there is a world of difference between "Silicone Rubber Mold Release" and "Universal Silicone Rubber Mold Release", and from now on I should call the manufacturer first instead of trusting the 70 year old man at the hobby shop. :P

New Sneak Preview!

DSC00877.jpg

My brother has my digital camera today, but I didn't want to wait another day to share this new diorama, so I used my cell phone camera with my usual set up. I think it actually turned out pretty good. :)

Anyways, this is Training Room Diorama #1. This is the first in a set of 3 Training Room dioramas that can be lined up side-by-side. The giant sawblade coming out of the floor is removable, in case you want a more vanilla display, or a filler piece in between two of the other Training Rooms. The sets are inspired by the X-Men's Danger Room, and the other two sets in the series will include some other challenges for our heroes to face.

The stickers shown here are just one of two color schemes that will come with this diorama, to let you get the exact look you want. This set also looks fine without stickers if that is what you prefer. I will have pictures of the second color scheme next week, along with pictures of some minimates on here. If things keep going at my current pace, I will also have pictures of all three parts of the Training Room, as well as one or two other surprises. :)

WOW!!!!! That's so awesome!!!!! My 90s X-men will be enjoying these to no end. Looks fantastic.

Question: Have you thought of, maybe, putting 2 different saw blades in there, for total customization?? I dont know what that would cost you to make, or how much it would jack up the price for us, but it would be so cool to have both a big saw and a rotating disk-saw!!!

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Question: Have you thought of, maybe, putting 2 different saw blades in there, for total customization?? I dont know what that would cost you to make, or how much it would jack up the price for us, but it would be so cool to have both a big saw and a rotating disk-saw!!!

With suggestions like these, Luke will sooner or later come up with chase variants! :ohmy:

Great work Luke, although I'm more into the other stands you teased us with. But very cool anyway!

Thanks guys! As you can see in my sig right now, Training Room Diorama #2 will feature some mechanical claws to trap your minimates. :)

That is definitely a good idea. I won't be able to work it into this release, but maybe I can make an accessory pack later that includes things like that. :)