Minimate Stands and Dioramas!

Hey guys,

I thought I would share some pictures of my latest project for the store:

brokenwall2.jpg

Click any of these thumbnails to view a larger image:

brokenwall1t.jpg

brokenwall3t.jpg

brokenwall4t.jpg

This is the first in a series of stands and dioramas that I have been working on for the last few months. I am doing all of the sculpting, molding, and casting. The broken wall diorama will likely retail for $7.99, and should be available to order around the first of December. I will have a few more stands and dioramas available in this first series at that time.

These will all be unlicensed, so they will be mostly generic scenes and locations. If the first series does well, I will probably be releasing a second series around March or so. Any requests? :)

I will be posting pictures of one of the other stands in this series next week!

EDIT: I posted a picture of another diorama in this series on page 4 of this thread!

EDIT #2: The full Training Room series can be viewed here on page 4!

EDIT #3: The rest of the reveals and pre-order information can be seen on page 5!

EDIT #4: New Time Travel Platform here on page 7!

EDIT #5: Industrial Diorama here on page 8!

EDIT #6: Super Villain Prison Cell here on page 8!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this was definitely an excellent idea for your store :D

Minimate-sized dioramas! The funnest part about them for me is their size: you can have a portable battle display on your desk and then cover it up with the nearest newspaper when the boss starts making the rounds :P

I'd love to see what other designs you're planning Luke ;)

Make lots and lots of these, Luke, because you'll be selling lots! Sweetness indeed.

Some of my favorite display pieces are the old Mez-Itz stands and these are right up that alley.

One question: are the ends squared off so that one could set out a seamless row of them? (Albeit a repeating row...)

While we're tossing around suggestions...

City street

a "cosmic"-type diorama (either in outer space or inside a spaceship or something)

Dungeon

An alley where the street thugs hang out

under the sea?

... but let's not give the man a heart attack :ermm:

That's just beautiful, Luke. Love it.

Wouldn't mind seeing some sort of rooftop or gargoyle display in the future, for all those characters who somehow end up perched on gargoyles. And a lab display would be great, too, for AIM agents or Iron Man.

That is awesome.

It would be cool if you could hide some more pegs for standing in there, like make some of the rubble removable with the peg underneath. (I realize you can't change horses mid-stream, just a suggestion for future reference)

On top of the suggestions for future locations:

Prison

Industrial settings

Plus, you could make several that connect together to form a larger setting, though I'm not sure what or how.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Some of those are already on \"the list\", but many were not!

Plus, you could make several that connect together to form a larger setting, though I\'m not sure what or how.

This is in the works. :D

Luke, have you considered just plain ol\' display stands as well? Something along the lines of the stepped displays but with pegs for the c3 holes to sit on?

Were you thinking of something like this? Maybe with just one peg in case you wanted to do a more dynamic pose?

I bet you sell out of these within 24 hours Luke. The wall looks great. My suggestion, Maybe sets that can "link" together. That would encourage us to buy multiple pieces like:

Rooftop

Rooftop #1

Roof with access door.

Rooftop #2

With Air Conditioner units, Chimney or other miscellaneous roof objects

Sidewalk and Street

#1 Generic street tiles like NECA's TMNT so we can build our own street scenes as big as we want to

#2 Ally with graffitti.

Scifi

#1 Lab with operating table

#2 generic sci-fi look ship interior/lab

#3 A tube to place captured mates (or Iron Man Armors) in.

I think you've struck gold buddy. Cant wait to place my orders!

Edited by Rheul

Those are some really good suggestions!

I realized I missed this question before:

One question: are the ends squared off so that one could set out a seamless row of them? (Albeit a repeating row...)

The edges on this diorama are all a little bit rough, so the edges will not meet up perfectly, but the gap would only be 1/16" (0.16 cm) or so. I will make sure all future dioramas line up.

I'd second drgnrbrn316's suggestion for industrial settings.

If you're a risk taker, I'd love to see:

Corridor segments from a random space-faring vessel, or a completely unrelated space-faring vessel.

A padded room, although it might not translate well.

A partial phone booth or police call box.

An office cubicle, although the Cubes stuff is out there it just doesn't feel right for Minimates.

A public restroom, for reasons best left unsaid (and unlinked).

I love the diorama idea; it looks great. Do you know what the weight of one of these would be approximately? Thanks.

The diorama is made of resin, and weighs about 3 oz.

I think you missed the point Luke ....how heavy is the idea?

.....& if my post is (as usual) irrelevant then I still reckon it's come '2nd.' to 'blockies'.

Most shelves will cope with 3oz. maybe even twice that :rolleyes:

Nice stuff as always Luke....please hide a few for me.

Luke, that is fantastic, and I am sure this idea will be a massive hit!

Of the ideas listed by people so far, I do like Rooftop/gargoyle (for Daredevil, even Ghostbusters - actually, a lion statue would be great!) lab and prison.

Wowzers Luke. You just made my day!! That is beyond awesome, and i'll need 38. :P

I'm agreeing with the suggestions said before me:

Rooftop #1

Rooftop #2 (variant?? maybe...;))

Brick Wall/Street side

Street Corner with Signpost

Hotel front/entryway??

Billboard

Forest!! Just a backdrop of trees (maybe one set of treeptops sculpted, coming out the backdrop in a "3D" sense!!) :yes:

Something Danger Room-esque for my X-men!! :P

Great idea Luke. You are definitely going places with the Store. Fantastic, fantastic job. :)

Bridges. I'd like to see parts of those iconic bridges in NY....I wanted to say the Brooklyn but I probably mean the Manhattan one...the one with all the girders & rivets.

Now that would be my wish....let it be so!

Rooftop #1

Rooftop #2 (variant?? maybe...;))

Possibly the most innovative suggestions yet seen although I can only rival them with something from 'left-field'..howzabout...........wait for it.....wa...ai..ai...it .........

Rooftop #.....can you guess... ?

Rooftop #3 (Army builder)

• Billboard (with sticker sheet with 3 or 4 different ads)
  • Laboratory
  • Smashed prison wall
  • Military bunker
  • Outer space scene with flight pegs
  • Roof top
  • Church roof top
  • Alley way
  • Dimensional portal
Edited by MINI_MYTE