UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Series 34 images...

battlecat

If you are disappointed by the lack of a brown Wolvie, here is your solution and the reason why DST likey held off on releasing him.

We have a Dark Avengers Daken and 2 different Gaijin Wolverine's to get claws from. So we have a full updated body already. Swap out your favorite Wolverine head (You probably have 20 or so) and you are all set.

Doesn't work, though. The old Gaijin claws, even if they fit snugly (which they probably wouldn't) are really outdated. The newer Wolvie claws are much cooler and more detailed than the older ones. Plus, the mask is brown where it should be black, and he has a crazy tattoo on his arm.

I am sure that they held off because they have other plans for him, not because they thought fans would kitbash one from the disappointing Daken Minimate (disappointing to me, anyway, because he was missing the extra claw hands that might have been enough to satisfy my craving for an updated brown Wolvie).

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this wave and it is leaving me wanting more 90's X-men characters. We need Bishop, Jubilee, Banshee, Colossus, Mr. Sinister, Omega Red, Brood, and more. I am also hoping that we will get a Brotherhood of Evil Mutants that includes Pyro, Avalanche, Blob, and Toad. Sauron would be great two, but they are only doing 4 packs these days.

These are the X-Men I've wanted ever since they released the Sentinel Maximate :) The '90s cartoon may have sucked, but that doesn't mean I can't feel nostalgic for it!

Karamazov, Brown Wolvie is certain to be released, so in the meantime I'm happy to see DST release an X-Men wave without him for once. I didn't notice much hate for him in this thread, just that some of us would prefer this version of Jean at this moment -- mostly because she would be less likely to show up outside of the context of this wave. That second Secret Wars box you suggest would be awesome by the way!

If you are disappointed by the lack of a brown Wolvie, here is your solution and the reason why DST likey held off on releasing him.

We have a Dark Avengers Daken and 2 different Gaijin Wolverine's to get claws from. So we have a full updated body already. Swap out your favorite Wolverine head (You probably have 20 or so) and you are all set.

Doesn't work, though. The old Gaijin claws, even if they fit snugly (which they probably wouldn't) are really outdated. The newer Wolvie claws are much cooler and more detailed than the older ones. Plus, the mask is brown where it should be black, and he has a crazy tattoo on his arm.

I am sure that they held off because they have other plans for him, not because they thought fans would kitbash one from the disappointing Daken Minimate (disappointing to me, anyway, because he was missing the extra claw hands that might have been enough to satisfy my craving for an updated brown Wolvie).

I'll have to try some stuff later and see if I can make it look good. My Daken was disappointing b/c his mohawk was warped and didnt fit snuggly against his head.

Well when the Wolverine movie came out, we got a comics based wave with characters featured in the movie. Summer 2011 Wolvie 2 is scheduled to come out. (I know, I know, but they make these decsions based more on money ade than quality of film produced) From all reports, it's going to be an adaptation on the first Miller drawn Wolverine miniseries. That was largely Wolverine vs Hand Ninjas and the Silver Samurai. (and because of it's smaller cast and scope should be a better movie... we'll see) See where I'm going here? I believe there is an excellent, I mean excellent, chance of a Wolverine Brown vs Silver Samurai 2 pack as a tie in for W2. And that would be 6 kinds of cool. (sure, it probably means another peg warming wave of movie Wolverines, but there's always a price to pay for everything, right?)

Why do all of those Jeans have jazz hands?

They're not jazz hands. They're phoenix pimp slap hands. lol

I was looking back and wondered what was bothering me about 90's Jean. It's a great minimate, but she looks a little top heavy because of where her belt is and how it extends across the entire figure. Wouldn't it look better if there was a belt piece that went over the t top of the t-crotch piece like the new x-men belt piece or cyclops belt piece instead? Anyone see what I mean?

13831_184942618224_76429063224_2964.jpg

I agree. It's like the transition between the original Spider-Man and the newer Spider-Man when they moved the bottom of his costume onto the t-crotch. Maybe DST can still change that so she looks more svelte?

This wave is made of total win for me!!!

Sure - it's mostly re-released characters, & i'm always up for new characters, but these are some seriously iconic costumes & reflect the era when i first started buying comics (some time betweenFatal Attractions & Jubilee leaving for Gen X). The Rogue update WAS needed - i don't care what anyone says. Ive been trying to customize the old one without success for ages.

Thank you a million times over DST. TWO Jeans in one series! I'm well stoked. This wave could only have been better if we'd been given Sinister or Omega Red.

This is a solid 8/10 happiness rating from me.

Here's hoping that future releases give us Sebastian Shaw to help round out the Hellfire club.

Too many Jeans?!?

What about White Phoenix Jean, Here Comes Tomorrow Jean, AOA Jean, Marvel Girl Jean, the AWFUL red and yellow post-Cyclopalypse Jean, X-Factor #63 Jean, Uncanny X-Men #262 Jean, X-Men #27 Jean, Red/Yellow X-Factor Jean, bald X-Men The End Jean, fiery angel Earth X Jean and of course... Fat Old Lady Earth X Jean.

And then there's Maddy...

Matt - PLEASE don't taunt us, unless you're gonna follow through.

PS: You're right about the dreadful thing she wore post-cyclops. But the first 4 you mentioned (White Phoenix Jean, Here Comes Tomorrow Jean, AOA Jean & Marvel Girl Jean) would be AWESOME!!!!

Why do all of those Jeans have jazz hands?

They're not jazz hands. . . they're spirit fingers!

Edited by Nessex

I LOVE that Jean Grey was chosen for this assortment, but I'm REALLY disappointed Jubilee isn't here!

Do companies have something AGAINST Jubilee or what? She is repeatedly the ONLY Jim Lee X-Man character to be passed over by Toybiz, Hasbro, and even the almighty Bowen Designs! (Jean Grey gets passed over somewhat as well, but at least there are several versions of her that get done. Jubilee gets NOTHING!) She was a fairly popular member of the X-Men for a long time, one of the main central characters in the 90's cartoon, appears in all 3 movies, the sidekick to Wolverine for pretty much the entire 90's, and the anchor character for Generation X. I CANNOT understand why every company treats her like the blight. :(

Oy. Vey. Selene?? REALLY, DST?!?!?!?! Was ANYONE asking for her?!?!?!?! ANYONE!?!?!?!?!?!?! A. If you are going to make the rest of the wave 70s/80s/90s you FINISH the wave 70s/80s/90s. B. you start and OLD Hellfire Club, you FINISH the OLD Hellfire Club, not start the new one. C. NO ONE ASKED FOR SELENE. She's not even who almost anyone thinks of when you say "Black Queen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I am sorry, but KILLED this wave for me. I have no interest in Selene other than the vairant, and i Jean isn't the final figure because you made her beyond awesome with a billion accessories and gorgeous sculpting, i'll join Tenime without the the TRU part. :angry:

Selene, but not a sight of Jim Lee Jean Grey?!?!?!?!?!?! REALLY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?! :angry:

Oh, and yes. I may just have to burn down the building. :confused:

^^^

Prime example of internet nerd gone too far.

Oy. Vey. Selene?? REALLY, DST?!?!?!?! Was ANYONE asking for her?!?!?!?! ANYONE!?!?!?!?!?!?! A. If you are going to make the rest of the wave 70s/80s/90s you FINISH the wave 70s/80s/90s. B. you start and OLD Hellfire Club, you FINISH the OLD Hellfire Club, not start the new one. C. NO ONE ASKED FOR SELENE. She's not even who almost anyone thinks of when you say "Black Queen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I am sorry, but KILLED this wave for me. I have no interest in Selene other than the vairant, and i Jean isn't the final figure because you made her beyond awesome with a billion accessories and gorgeous sculpting, i'll join Tenime without the the TRU part. :angry:

Selene, but not a sight of Jim Lee Jean Grey?!?!?!?!?!?! REALLY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?! :angry:

^^^

Well gee...thanks for that. <_<

Seriously, you can't honestly be happy we're getting SELENE in the middle of this awesome wave, can you?? Her only connection is being the second Black Queen; an updated Emma, or even a King, would have made more sense than her. AND are time-accurate with Black Jean. I'm sorry, if i went too far, but she's a dumb idea for the wave, and i'm sticking too that.

Oy. Vey. Selene?? REALLY, DST?!?!?!?! Was ANYONE asking for her?!?!?!?! ANYONE!?!?!?!?!?!?! A. If you are going to make the rest of the wave 70s/80s/90s you FINISH the wave 70s/80s/90s. B. you start and OLD Hellfire Club, you FINISH the OLD Hellfire Club, not start the new one. C. NO ONE ASKED FOR SELENE. She's not even who almost anyone thinks of when you say "Black Queen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I am sorry, but KILLED this wave for me. I have no interest in Selene other than the vairant, and i Jean isn't the final figure because you made her beyond awesome with a billion accessories and gorgeous sculpting, i'll join Tenime without the the TRU part.

^^^

Seriously, you can't honestly be happy we're getting SELENE in the middle of this awesome wave, can you?? Her only connection is being the second Black Queen; an updated Emma, or even a King, would have made more sense than her. AND are time-accurate with Black Jean. I'm sorry, if i went too far, but she's a dumb idea for the wave, and i'm sticking too that.

Wha? :blink: I don't happen to take comics seriously. :P

Oy. Vey. Selene?? REALLY, DST?!?!?!?! Was ANYONE asking for her?!?!?!?! ANYONE!?!?!?!?!?!?! A. If you are going to make the rest of the wave 70s/80s/90s you FINISH the wave 70s/80s/90s. B. you start and OLD Hellfire Club, you FINISH the OLD Hellfire Club, not start the new one. C. NO ONE ASKED FOR SELENE. She's not even who almost anyone thinks of when you say "Black Queen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I am sorry, but KILLED this wave for me. I have no interest in Selene other than the vairant, and i Jean isn't the final figure because you made her beyond awesome with a billion accessories and gorgeous sculpting, i'll join Tenime without the the TRU part.

^^^

Wha? :blink: I don't happen to take comics seriously.

I have to. I plan on getting involved in that profession (artist most definitely, and probably writer)!! :P And i'm VERY serious when it comes to anything Jean Grey.

the sidekick to Wolverine for pretty much the entire 90's

I know it might be wishful thinking, but I'm gonna hope we didn't see a Brown Costume Wolverine this wave because he needs to come pack with his buddy Jubilee in a future wave... I bet they could even be a TRU pack if Wolverine is there! If his frumpy old man self can sell frumpy old man Hawkeye to kids surely classic Frank Miller-esque Wolverine (do they *need* to be all Jim Lee themed, plus this way he can come with a sword! kids LOVE swords) would sell a character with a yellow coat and pink sparkle hands.

that and the logic "maybe Nightcrawler's going to come with Meggan and an updated Mystique with like X-Treme Rogue or something" as well as "Hey! I can use the $14 I'd have spent on those two Army builder packs on something else!" is all that keeps me from boiling over with rage his wave has 2 Jeans (neither I like) and no Mr.Sinister

Selene, but not a sight of Jim Lee Jean Grey?!?!?!?!?!?! REALLY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!

Oh, and yes. I may just have to burn down the building.

^^^

Wha? :blink: I don't happen to take comics seriously.

I have to. I plan on getting involved in that profession (artist most definitely, and probably writer)!! :P And i'm VERY serious when it comes to anything Jean Grey.

Serious about a funnybook character?! :tongue:

P.S. To make comics you just need good ideas and a copier machine. ;)

Selene and the Hellfire Guard are actually my favorite out of this whole wave. I grew up with the 70s/80s X-men, so my definitive versions of all of these characters is already out (GSX Cyclops, Secret Invasion Beast and Phoenix), so the rest of the wave is essentially duplicate costume variants. I'm one of those guys who likes having characters we never had before. Although I will give you that the 90s costumes were popular versions of these characters, I'd have liked a few more new faces. Just my 2 cents.

Just to put things into perspective to everyone saying they'd love to see new characters, not costume duplicates (I'm not trying to be an ass, just simply pointing things out):

Infinity Gauntly Boxed Set - 3 new characters (2 villains)

Secret Wars Boxed Set - 2 new characters (1 villain)

Spider-Man Boxed Set - 1 new villain (2 villains)

Wave 28 - 2 new characters (2 villains)

Wave 29 - 3 new characters (1 villain)

Wave 30 - 5 new characters (3 villains)

Wave 31 - 5 new characters (1 villain)

Wave 32 - 4 new characters (1 villain)

Wave 33 - 4 new characters (4 villains)

TRU Exclusives - 3 new characters (2 villains)

This isn't even counting the SDCC stuff. That's a total of 32 new characters in the space of about a year (Announcement-wise anyways), with 19 villains. Not bad, I say. I can tolerate one wave of can almost be assured as a sell-out wave of new costumes. (Personal bias aside :P)

So no worries, everyone clamoring for new faces - DST is more than likely just trying to ensure more money so they continue to produce all these new characters.

Infinity Gauntly Boxed Set - 3 new characters (2 villains)

Secret Wars Boxed Set - 2 new characters (1 villain)

Spider-Man Boxed Set - 1 new villain (2 villains)

Wave 28 - 2 new characters (2 villains)

Wave 29 - 3 new characters (1 villain)

Wave 30 - 5 new characters (3 villains)

Wave 31 - 5 new characters (1 villain)

Wave 32 - 4 new characters (1 villain)

Wave 33 - 4 new characters (4 villains)

TRU Exclusives - 3 new characters (2 villains)

This isn't even counting the SDCC stuff. That's a total of 32 new characters in the space of about a year (Announcement-wise anyways), with 19 villains. Not bad, I say. I can tolerate one wave of can almost be assured as a sell-out wave of new costumes. (Personal bias aside :P)

A couple of corrections:

Wave 29: technically just 2 new ones (Moon Knight and HYDRA guy, the rest are just new costume variations)

Wave 31: technically just 4 new ones (Black Bolt, Mar-Vell, Captain Britain and Multiple Man... 4 and a half if you count Lockheed. And who's the villain in 31?! Surely you don't count Black Bolt as one in War of Kings?!)

Wave 32: 3 new ones (X-23, Titanium Man and Kree soldier... God bless new costume variations and identity crisis-laden Hank Pym)

Wave 33: technically just 2 new ones, one with 2 costume variations (Menace and Rachel Grey. Sorry, I don't count girl Loki, Anti-Venom and the Sentinel as new characters.)

TRU exclusives: Actually about 6 new characters in all (Union Jack, Molecule Man, Moonstone, Swordsman, Wolverine movie Silver Fox and Agent Zero. 7 if I count Warpath.)

Do remember though that those dreaded TRU exclusives are pretty hard to come by not just to overseas boardies, but even local ones as well <_<

And never underestimate the importance of getting new characters (even/especially the wacky ones) in the Minimate line. One of the things I love about Marvel Minimates is the diverse (albeit risky) character selection it has adopted in recent years. I mean, look at Wave 23. Look at the AIM Agents, best army builder ever and yet Minimates had been one of the few toy lines to actually release them. Look at Moonstone, Swordsman, Warpath and that weird Wonder Man/Union Jack combo.

Marvel Minimates is perhaps one of the best examples there is of a line made for fans by fans. If DST is going to stand by that, they have to know how best to keep the fandom on its toes, and choices like Selene help keep the brand interesting somewhat. As far as redos go, there's a very thin line between releasing much-needed definitive costume variations of a character, and virtually pointless/redundant ones.

EDIT: list corrections

Edited by NorthRaider

If I can chime in with my two cents, I know PLENTY of people were unhappy with the SI Beast and wanted a more "iconic" blue fuzzy one. There you go. Cyclops' Jim Lee outfit is easily one of, if not his most, popular outfits EVER, and it's certainly nice to get, especially with a lot of Jim Lee fans out there. Hellfire club guard is yet another army builder... unless anyone wants to go back to the pre-army builder days? Nope, didn't think so. Jean? We've got ONE true, heroic 616 Jean and she has had PLENTY of other costumes, its nice to have an alternative to Phoenix, especially one with team colors.

As far as the Black Queens go, I realize two Jeans isn't the best choice ever, and Selene isn't the most popular choice, but she's a new character and jean's Black Queen outfit is pretty iconic for its short tenure. This wave feels pretty damn solid to me, more so than that wave with the three Spideys. I just don't know whats with all the hate going on here. THERE WILL BE MORE WAVES. Hopefully, your 276th Wolverine, Jubilee (shudder), and Kang will be in the next one or so, but as of right now it seems Marvel is not only here to stay, but here to pump out a shitload more mates every year.

All I'm trying to say is instead of all the negativity, why don't we all try to put this in perspective and be grateful that we're getting X-Men that AREN'T Wolverine. Mind you, I do remember those box-sets an the horizon too, but X-Men doesn't get a ton of love always. Let's love the not Spidey, please.

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I'd like to clarify my stance: I really do like this wave, but I want more new characters in upcoming waves. I can't wait to get the Jean/Cyclops and Beast/Rogue packs. I think that these repacks only feel so blatant since we now have 6 versions of Beast, 10 versions of Cyclops, and 10 versions of Jean Grey. Rogue getting a 2nd 'mate doesn't bug me at all.

And yet, the X-Men that I would want the most right now are all redos or variants (Brown costume Wolvie, Colossus, Nightcrawler, punk Storm, and Shadowcat). I guess I'm just a hypocrite. :biggrin:

Edited by Colonel America

If anyone is reading the X-titles, they will realize that Selene is the main bad guy in the multi-crossover "Necrosha". This is a good time for her to be added. What's really cool is that they paired her and the Jean as Black Queen with army builders so you don't have to have 2 redundant minimates...and she's a variant anyway. I'm not exactly understanding the hate here. I may whine about not having mohawk Storm yet, but this is a very good wave. Remember, a box set would have only given us 4 X-Men so I'm glad for a whole wave dedicated to them. Lord knows Spidey and Iron Man get them ALL the time.

Buuutt the next X-Men wave should look like this :whistling: :

post-2001-1258087594_thumb.jpgpost-2001-1258087612_thumb.jpg

post-2001-1258087658_thumb.jpgpost-2001-1258087742_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chazwinski