UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Statues Talk

karamazov80

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got out of 1/6 figs a while ago (i had many misfortunes with them) and i've been eyeing some statues since then. I really like this one but i'm more of a fan of dynamic poses.

Yeah, Ditko and Romita influenced Spideys for the win. I actually prefer Romita a bit, since the style of Spidey I was around in the '80s was really a variation of what he did. To me, Romita did THE definitive Spidey.

QaaTM0B.jpg

For me the Romita version is the classic and definite Spidey as well. But the one that has the best costume and i would prefer to be the suit when Peter comes back would be the McFarlane one. These huge eyes give him a creepy touch (imagine being a crook in an alley and seeing this tall and buff figure, moving so fast and delicate, with those huge eyes making fun of you and then webbing you up, much scarier than Batman in my opinion). Though my favorite suit has to be the Superior one. It's not classic and it's definetely not THE suit but it's awesome to look at.

I respect your opinion Kostisfire and I think many agree with you or McF would not have done Spidey for so long. However, in my humble opinion, McF really did screwey things to Spiderman and flat out ruined Hulk for the entire run that he did the art on. I liked the writing on his Spiderman run, but am not crazy about his art. He did a fantastic Venom (again, in my opinion).

I respect your opinion Kostisfire and I think many agree with you or McF would not have done Spidey for so long. However, in my humble opinion, McF really did screwey things to Spiderman and flat out ruined Hulk for the entire run that he did the art on. I liked the writing on his Spiderman run, but am not crazy about his art. He did a fantastic Venom (again, in my opinion).

Yeah, his Hulk looked like fetus tetsuo but in grey and with many details. McFarlane adds so much detail and sometimes the end result looks very busy. I liked Spider-Man poses a lot but the environments could use a bit more detail. His writing has really good as well so i have to say that i fairly enjoyed his run. It wasn't the best but i was entertaining. So, while the original suit is the classic one, i like the McFarlane a bit more since it gave Spidey more muscle and those creepy big eyes.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

hi guys! i kinda want to collect the Bowen Emma Frost statues, but they cost alot where I'm from, so I was wondering if you guys know where I can get them really cheap?

so far i have the Modern White Queen (Diamond), so I'm looking for the Retro White Queen & the Modern White Queen (Human).

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

It seems very over priced. Its big, but so is the Hulk PF(s) and they are nearly half the cost. Granted there will be more Hulk sales to offset cost, I stand by my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

Quick cell phone pic of my newest statue acquisition.

2014-08-06_06-33-59_172_zps2gvszwti.jpg

Would love to add Wonder Woman to that display, but I'm reigning it in with the huge statues now. The "big two" will probably be all I pick up, barring something crazy like our getting classic Teen Titans or Blue Beetle and Booster Gold.

Edited by karamazov80

Nice Sam, you have expensive tastes my friend. I was a little unimpressed by Supes and Bats. I have a Koto Batman that I have loved ever since I got it and the HT CR Supes, which is "the" Superman to me. I love the SSC PFs, but just didn't feel wowed. Wonder Woman is bad ass IMO, but she would not fit into my collection. I have thought about getting her and making a display completely around her, but too many things going against it like lack of space and money. I absolutely love the design, but just not where I will put my money. I even know I'll regret it, but just can't pull the trigger.

My dollars are closely watching the Legendary Scale Darth Vader and I have money tied up in Hulk PFs already.

Honestly I sell as much as I buy, which is how I can afford to keep buying new things. One nice side effect of high end collecting, if you're into the right things of course, is that value appreciates over time. My Spidey statue is worth about three times what I paid at this point, so if I sold it I could get, say, Wonder Woman and a new Spidey statue or whatever. Chris Reeves Supes is still my favorite Superman collectible (after my old Super Powers toy), but this new one is so nice. Totally iconic, even the box with just a huge Superman symbol on the front with a blue background. I dig statues like this because the size makes them seem a bit more impressive than the other stuff that I collect, so I'm not as into the smaller, 1/6 scale statues. But I love a lot of what Kotobukiya is doing.

• 1 month later...

I kept telling myself I was going to get a nice, probably pricey cabinet for my statues. But ultimately I just couldn't find the time on the weekends. So, I went to Costco, and picked up a pretty sweet shelf that works well for my statues. Spidey just barely fits on the top shelf without touching the ceiling. Couldn't get a better pic with my phone, because the room is small, but here is my 1/4 scale statue collection. Might get Wonder Woman to switch out with Joker. Wife hates Joker, all my other statues are heroes, and WW would send a good signal to my girls, so. . .

2014-09-13_00-51-53_994_zps0en8ynar.jpg