UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Statues Talk

karamazov80

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never liked that guy's artwork, and that Spidey looks freaky to me. I wish SSC would do lines based on, say, a John Byrne, Alan Davis, Mike Zeck, or George Perez over Campbell, Olivetti, and Hughes.

I hate superstar artists...

No, I take that back. I hate fans of superstar artists. If they were making statues based off the artwork of Joe Schmoe, this wouldn't be a problem. But because 100,000 fans want to stick their collective penises in Adam Hughes' artwork, I have to pay approaching 8X the retail price for one of his statues.

I'm a geek till it affects me. Then I'm a hipster.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

Try getting one of his con sketches. It's ridiculous. His fans treat him like he walks on water.

That's one of the weirdest posts I think I've ever read. Thanks for that TM2.

I don't generally care for Sideshow's artist lines because I don't like the artists they choose to showcase. John Byrne, George Perez, Alan Davis, Neal Adams, Mike Zeck, freakin' Jack Kirby I could go for. But unless you do the "sexy" cartoon/comic characters, SSC hardly has any use for you.

Edited by karamazov80

• 3 weeks later...

Looks pretty good. I considered going all in with the JLA, but changed my mind due to concerns of space and cost. I'll get the "big 3" probably, and if they ever do favorites of mine (Kord Blue Beetle, Speedy, Hourman) I'll strongly consider those as well, but I can't go further than that.

Many folks are down on the Campbell Spiderman, but I just can't see enough of it yet. The ladies look great, but....meh. I have passed on so many Spiderman statues because of freaky body shape or giant eyes (I hate McFarlane for that) or even silly pajamas in the case of the Sideshow PF. I have one Bowen piece that I like but would like a 1/4 scale piece eventually. I just haven't liked anything done so far. The inevitable Legendary Scale from Sideshow might be promising. I tend to like Kotobukiya stuff but the last Spidey they did was just not my cup of tea.

I think a lot of people really hold your preferences, Shane, and I'm surprised SSC isn't catering to them (or us, since I'm in that group). They actually did one 1/4 scale Spidey that I think is just about the perfect sculpt:

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/marvel-spider-man-sideshow-collectibles-200290/

Problem is it's not in color, and has a rough finish to it. They also picked my favorite Wolverine to get this treatment.

Those are 1/4 scale? I thought they were 1/6th for some reason. They look kinda cool, but as you said, are bronze-ish. I do like the sculpt though. It would make a nice full color piece. I never like the pajamas PF they did and the Comiquette is nice, but not what I was looking for.

I have this one by Bowen. Some don't like the pose, but I really like it. http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/marvel-spider-man-red-museum-bowen-designs-901876/

I like the super big eyes, personally. But I've yet to see a Spidey stature that jumps out and grabs me.

This is probably the one that comes closest to my favorite out of what's been done. (they did it in red, too.)

Symbiote_Spiderman-statue-l.jpg

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

I like Spidey in an extreme pose, but that one looks odd to me TM2. Why would he do that? I guess he can be hurtling the mail box, but it looks like he's just showboating to me (doing the splits on one hand).

Pretty sure those are 1/4 scale. I've got the Olivetti Spidey. I like it, and think it is the best 1/4 scale Spidey statue yet, all things considered. But still room for improvement. I grew up with a pre-McFarlane Spidey, so the bigger eyes aren't my first preference, either.

Edited by karamazov80

I dunno, seems like a guy with the strength of 10 humans could, you know, leap over a small mail box without having to use his hand for support. Spidey ain't a parkour guy. And of all the things to vault over--a mail box?? Also, he's got his camera webbed to the light pole, so he's taking a pic of himself doing it? Is this really the best he can do to show off?

That statue just seems more and more strange the more I think about it laugh.png

Edited by karamazov80

I am very much an old school Spidey fan. Romita and Ditko knew what they were doing IMO. Several other artists have done Spidey justice, but McFarlane totally ruined him art-wise IMO.

Yeah, Ditko and Romita influenced Spideys for the win. I actually prefer Romita a bit, since the style of Spidey I was around in the '80s was really a variation of what he did. To me, Romita did THE definitive Spidey.

QaaTM0B.jpg

Edited by karamazov80