UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Statues Talk

karamazov80

I really love those Marquette. No money for them in general though. I really, REALLY wanted that Boba Fett one. That was just so cool.

Statues and busts greatest asset are also their greatest weakness. They are painstakingly crafted and usually hand painted. Even with polystone, they are still very expensive. This means that you can do a smaller production run to keep the costs low, unlike say other stuff where the more you do the cheaper they are. But it also means less impulse buys.

With DSTs new statues, I'd like to see them try and tackle that. Don't know if they can, but it's worth a shot.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know of people who collect the "animated" lines. I have the Leia/R2 black & white version, but it is still packed up in its box. I liked it, so I bought it, but it has never fit in with my current collections. I had planned to buy the Vader, but I don't like the pose. Hopefully, they will do another version in time.

I also bought the animated Yoda for my nephew. He loves the whole Clone Wars series.

I have slowed down with buying statues. My last purchase was the Bowen Planet Hulk.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My dream statue was announced late last week.

flintandzartanstatue.jpg

I was expecting a statue with these two based on some concept art Sideshow released awhile back. But honestly, this exceeds expectations. This will be the centerpiece in my collection.

I've got 3 of them--Flint (of course), Cobra Commander, and Roadblock. I would like to get Snake Eyes, Firefly, and Storm Shadow eventually, but I never cared enough to actively hunt the others down. I only got CC and Roadblock because I saved on their shipping with my Flint bust. :lol:

I must admit, though, that CC bust is the best looking Cobra Commander-related collectible that I have seen. Palisades' Zartan statue looks weird, or I would have tracked that down, as well. I also wouldn't mind getting the Storm Shadow vs. Optimus Prime at some point.

Edited by karamazov80

The Palisades stuff is weird. Both GI Joe and Transformers. Just... odd looking. I'm still bummed that Lady Jaye hasn't been represented at all. She was always my childhood crush. She was the #2 character in the show in screen time, and yet Scarlett gets all the glory? WTF? It must be because of Snake Eyes.

I would definitely have picked up a Lady Jaye to go with my Flint. But even stranger is that they didn't do Duke. I personally think the Flint and CC busts I have are pretty excellent sculpts, though.

So. . .considering selling a huge chunk of my Minimates in order to buy a Hulk PF. Please someone tell me how wrong this is, before I make a decision that I will regret. :(

So. . .considering selling a huge chunk of my Minimates in order to buy a Hulk PF. Please someone tell me how wrong this is, before I make a decision that I will regret. :(

This is highly wrong. Don't make this decision. You will regret it. Think about how much time and money and energy and LOVE you put into your minimates. Now think about throwing that all out for a quick bag n' grab for a single statue. Are you nuts?

Yes, but thanks for the concern :)

Seriously though, I figure I could sell 1/4 to 1/3 of my Minimates and fund that guy (worth about $800). Most of my Minimates are just sitting in a box, but that statue is so big, it would have to be displayed. I just saw a picture of the Wolverine PF next to the Hulk PF, and decided that I need it. One way or the other, I'll get it.

You know, a few things really jumped out at me. The first is obviously these. I'm hopeless, no? I'm just interested in this trend of cheaper statues lately.

The second being the new GI Joe diorama. http://cooltoyreview.com/2010-San-Diego-Co...-02/image59.asp It's as beautiful as the Flint/Zartan one IMHO. I want them both.

Thirdly, Venom Rex? Really? http://cooltoyreview.com/2010-San-Diego-Co...-02/image92.asp Looks awesome though.

Lastly, being the sucker for x-23 that I am, I thought this ended up great. http://cooltoyreview.com/2010-San-Diego-Co...-02/image86.asp Not gone get it, but still great.

Isn't that funny? That has 0 appeal to me at all. I like Wolvy and everything, but I wouldn't buy that even if it were $20. (Not like I discovered him onsale for $20 and could turn around and make money, but like that's what he retailed at.

Dude, I have one and I love it. The damned thing is just gorgeous. Andy B. did an incredible job with the sculpting on this one.

He is a huge one. Make sure you have about 2 square feet of free space to display him. He weighs about 45lbs.

Dude, I have one and I love it. The damned thing is just gorgeous. Andy B. did an incredible job with the sculpting on this one.

He is a huge one. Make sure you have about 2 square feet of free space to display him. He weighs about 45lbs.

Gotta have him. I was waiting for the Comiquette (as I'm glad I did with Spidey), but the wacky hairdo and pinhead just don't do it for me. I don't know what they were thinking with that. Kirby PF Hulk destroys the Comiquette.

• 3 weeks later...
Gotta have him. I was waiting for the Comiquette (as I'm glad I did with Spidey), but the wacky hairdo and pinhead just don't do it for me. I don't know what they were thinking with that. Kirby PF Hulk destroys the Comiquette.

I agree on the Hulk comiquette, but my hope is that the released product will be better than the proto. SSC is notorious for final product being different (sometimes better, sometimes worse) than the proto. I didn't order the Hulk 1:1 and the final release looks better than the proto, so now I am kinda scrambling to get him. I have even thrown some HT Preds on the table to tempt a trade.

With the Hulk Comiquette, I'd rather have an order in and return him if he sucks, than to miss out entirely.

I don't like the Spidey Comiquette. Too skinny for my tastes and I do not like the huge full face eyes. Not my favorite Spidey design, so I'll wait and see what Bowen or Koto does with him.

Thanks for the advice, BHM. I'll have to try it sometime :)

And I agree that the Spidey isn't ideal, but I like it a lot more than the PF. And I am only collecting 1/4 scale statues (or something approaching it), so the Bowen and Koto stuff won't work for me.

So, I needed an Iron Man in my collection. I wanted the Mark VI, but at $450+. . .well, I'm not sure that I wanted it that much. Instead, I ran across this guy for a good price (less than half of what the Mark VI would have cost) and decided to go for it. Not a huge fan of the pose or the fact that he has the U.S. flag (I just don't identify the flag with Tony Stark), but this is my favorite Iron Man armor--the one I knew and liked as a kid and that I think is the most iconic--so, I just went with it. Now, I'm just missing Spidey and Hulk. God help me if they start doing more Cockrum/Byrne X-Men in 1/4 scale :(

SDC12295.jpg

The cheesy fake gold fireplace display is temporary--until I get a display case.

SDC12294.jpg

SDC12298.jpg

Edited by karamazov80