UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Mega Bloks Streetz

Danny

Mega Bloks Streetz

Ignoring the blatantly awful "kewl" mispelling, this new (I'm assuming it's new, I haven't seen it before and I frequent the toy aisles more than I perhaps should) Mega Bloks line combines two properties I loved as a kid; Micro Machines, those little 1" cars that eventually became licensed stuff like Star Wars and Star Trek, and LEGO City.

What a fantastic idea :) There are packs of cars, and different sized construction sets. These sets are (roughly) scaled to the cars, making it very interesting, and they remind me of the little playsets Micro Machines used to do that all connected together. These can too, and because of the block nature, I reckon a few sets all mixed together would look amazing!

Great little touches like some of the cars lighting up, the fact they all have names (like "Ace" and "Viper") and a launcher that shoots the cars quite a distance, allowing stunts, and I am completely sold on this line.

I may even break out a website for it, I'm that enthused!

Has anyone else seen this, what were your thoughts?

Been out for some time here and to be honest I thought it was kinda meh!

Having said that it's not really my cup of tea, it's not surprising it doesn't float my boat.

I'll keep an eye out as megabloks stuff seems to always go on sale here at some point.

T.

I had loads of the little Micro Machines cars, absolutely tons of them. And to see the micro style combined with Lego-type construction sets, I think it's superb. Really takes me back :)

It doesn't surprise me that we've got this line way after the States as the boxes are very heavily languaged up - I count 7 different languages on the packaging! Trouble is, that means that it doesn't actually give you a lot of info about the sets themselves. The website is much clearer than the boxes, which is a shame.

TRU has a little city block set up in a case... I have to pause and dream every time I go by it.

My first thought was "Micro Machines" also. I keep trying to figure out how I can combine this Minimates as a way to justify buying into it. heh

It won't be as easy to integrate with Minimates as regular LEGO/Mega Bloks stuff as the scale is wrong. However, if you wanted to make some of the scale-challenged Minimates look bigger, then this could work. Imagine Zombie Giant-Man stood next to an office block, it'd be great :)

I have Donut Dash, Micro Motors and Fire Fury playsets so far, and the 7 pack of cars. I took all my Minimates stuff off my desk to build the city!

The cars are better than the sets - they are the main draw for me. But because the sets are designed for stunts (like launching the car through the hole in the big donut sign of Donut Dash) it all seems to work well and I am definitely going to build as much of the city as I can

Perhaps start with the cheap car sets, best to get one set of 3 with a ramp and another set of 2 including a launcher so you can launch the cars off the ramp, and see what you think.

I have been very scientific and done some testing for you Cappy.

The test subject rolled less than half a foot on carpet, but around a foot on laminate flooring.

The launchers provided the car a real boost, allowing distances of 2 feet on carpet, but over 6 feet on laminate flooring.

I had fun doing this test and hope it will prove useful to you :)

• 2 months later...

I finally, finally FINALLY saw the other 2 "deluxe" sets (Car Wash and Gas Station) after months of nothing but Donut Dash and Micro Motors.

And, being the gent I am, gave them to my work colleague because I'd got his two young sons into Streetz last year. Toys are for kids at the end of the day, right?

I really hope I see them again! They were the only 1 of each that they had.

I finally, finally FINALLY saw the other 2 "deluxe" sets (Car Wash and Gas Station) after months of nothing but Donut Dash and Micro Motors.

And, being the gent I am, gave them to my work colleague because I'd got his two young sons into Streetz last year. Toys are for kids at the end of the day, right?

here in canada the car wash is everywhere the gas n go i see 3 times a month,the top from the gas station looks like the cheese that goes in grilled cheese before its grilled.

Edited by darkredshdow

I think he means the gas station roof looks like a processed cheese slice.

I think!

I bought the 2 car packs I was missing so now just need the Gas Station and Car Wash (if I ever see them again, come on toy karma!) and the big police station set with the helicopter.

I think he means the gas station roof looks like a processed cheese slice.

I think!

I bought the 2 car packs I was missing so now just need the Gas Station and Car Wash (if I ever see them again, come on toy karma!) and the big police station set with the helicopter

yeah thats what i mean!i picked up the micro motors set over the weekend.its really damn cool!and the stunts are sweet.my fav is the one where 1 car hits the micro motor sign and anotherone falls in the pizza store and out.oh and if anyone made the "alternate build"please post.

Yeah the sign stunt where you aim one car at it to drop the other car is very cool, and repeated in the fire department set. If you like Micro Motors I recommend Donut Dash as well cos you get to shoot the car through the hole in the big donut sign :)

If you like Micro Motors I recommend Donut Dash as well cos you get to shoot the car through the hole in the big donut sign :)

yeah,that is what im getting next!i also like the drive thru part.if only they where minimate size,then emo peter parker would work at a donut store!

Edited by darkredshdow

• 7 months later...

Never saw the last 2 Streetz sets that I'd given away. Until tonight in TRU! Woohoo! Good job I'm a patient sort! The Streetz stuff has been slowly disappearing - the Police Station set was available for half price in Tescos a couple of months ago so I picked it up, but really thought my chance at the last 2 sets I needed had gone, cos no-one was carrying them anymore.

TRU had a few sets of cars and the Police Station - all at full price until very recently - but tonight I saw my old friend Donut Dash. I dutifully went over to check the other sets they had - Donut Dash, Micro Motors, Donut Dash, Gas N Go! Spin Wash!

They were there even though I didn't think they would be. That's always the best kind of toy surprise :)

So I'm really happy to have completed this line. I don't think I've ever fully completed a toyline before! Got everything from actual shops, I really miss that with most of my toy purchases being Minimates which I don't see in stores.

I don't know if anyone is actually interested but once I've made everything and got it displayed I'll be taking some pics. I might also start with my website idea because there is a chronic lack of Streetz info out on the web and I think this might be a cult line a few years later. I certainly loved it :)