UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

TRON (original)

O.K., one of the big announcements at '09's SDCC was that Disney was finally going to do a sequel to the ground-breaking '80s movie Tron. The time seems right for DST/AA to strike with an homage classic line (or box sets) to coincide (Fall '10) with the new film "Tron:Legacy" (set to premiere 12/17/10).

While there are many films I love more (BladeRunner, etc.), it was an incredibly important film that I feel really set the foundation for the CGI laden films of today, and when I think of cult-classic films that would translate well into the Minimate form I can think of none better than this film. The simplicity of the designs and reuse of accessories would be a production cost-saver IMHO.

For starters, this line would essentially all be cast in the same color plastic (that milky-opaque generic base used for many 'mates would be perfect. See: Jigsaw's torso peg and joints for example) with the only paint app.s required being the "circuitry" (which are either red or blue). The new accessories that would need to be molded would be minimal and they would shared amongst the majority of the line (again, the paint app.s would be the only thing differentiating the core pieces). And lastly, given DST's renewed desire to dabble in "Mini-Vehicles", what would be cooler (or more cost-effective) than Tron's Lightcycles? One mold (that would work wonderfully with their super-deformed aesthetic) that could be reused numerous times (red, yellow, orange, and blue). Simple, effective, and timed perfectly for the media-hype! The only 'problem' would be that Disney owns the rights, and I'm not too sure how easy they would be to get the license. However, if it were to happen, these 'mates could also possibly be sold through the numerous Disney boutiques which would be another "minimate-retail" coup. So what do you all think?

Here's my rough concept:

Box sets of 4 or 2-packs

Tron : helmet, guantlets, identity disc.

Flynn : helmet, guantlets, disc, scoop-hand, "gladiator" tunic chest piece.

Ram : helmet, guantlets, disc.

Yori : shower-cap thing and/or helmet.

Sark : helmet, guantlets, disc.

Cro : helmet, guantlets, disc, scoop-hand , "gladiator" tunic chest piece.

Guard : hooded (one piece) chest piece, gloves, stun-rod.

Dumont : shower-cap thing, long coat chest piece.

Lightcycles

Yellow (with translucent Flynn)

Orange (with translucent Tron)

Red (with translucent Ram)

Blue (with translucent Sark or one of his "troops")

Get busy DST, you've got a year to make it happen! :D

A nice license & one that kubrick covered years ago. I'll dig mine out & perhaps attempt some of my renowned photography. ;) I've actually never seen the movie but I had noticed Tron sets coming up regularly on ebay lately...I see why now. Great idea cdubya !

Yeah, I bought those sets a few years ago in the hopes that I could use the Lightcycle for Minimates, but it was a tad big as the Kubricks are 2.5"...and they've been buried ever since*. Kubricks just don't cut-it for me (but I do love their amazing accessories and vast libraries). I'd been planning some customs, buuuut figured I'd give DST a chance to make the real-deal first before I go to all of the trouble!

You've really never seen Tron?!? Well, honestly despite the extensive work to create it's little more than a neat idea (at least for the time) that didn't quite hit the mark (all style/little substance). Still worth a look as it does boast some pretty impressive people's work (Syd Mead, Moebius, etc.) and would translate brilliantly into the 'lil blockniks we all adore. Not to mention that the time is ripe for media-hype.

*perhaps I should throw'em back on ebay to recoup my loss (while the property is heating-up again).

I have one of the Tron Kubrick sets and have always hoped that these could someone be made in minimate form (oh and if your Tron Kubrick sets just don't do it for you cdubya I would love to trade you for them :D ) At SDCC 08 they actually showed that concept trailer after the panel for Race to Witch Mountain and I was so excited and now that it is actually coming to fruition I am so excited as this is one of my favorite movies ever!

When I was kid I loved playing with my older brother's rip cord light cycles and so when they re-released these for the 25th anniversary I bought two, one is still in the package and the other has been rip cord raced to death and passed down to my nephew as it was all broken up.

But Tron in minimate form would be in my top three wishes of lines to be minimates (along with MOTU and SW).

You've really never seen Tron?!?

I've never seen Tron & having seen your consternation I had to think why ? I would have been 27 & you would have been 12 when Tron was released . That was pretty relevant in 1982 when I would be asking the 'then' GF "Should we go see the new Disney movie or watch the ET,Blade-Runner,Diner,Ghandi,Poltergeist or Officer & a Gentleman movies?" :D

You've really never seen Tron?!?

I've never seen Tron & having seen your consternation I had to think why ? I would have been 27 & you would have been 12 when Tron was released . That was pretty relevant in 1982 when I would be asking the 'then' GF "Should we go see the new Disney movie or watch the ET,Blade-Runner,Diner,Ghandi,Poltergeist or Officer & a Gentleman movies?" :D

Fair enough...and I'd say you made the better decision given the options. I remember feeling slightly disappointed after the first-time I viewed it (though it still was some nice eye-candy for a scifi/fantasy/comic-charged 12 yr. old). However, I do recall it provoking the most insanely-fun disc battle with frisbees between my best friend and me (the welts out-lasted the time it spent in theaters)! I'd still say it's worth seeing at least once.

Yes Yes!

Something that looks like this:

TronFront.jpg

But MUCH MUCH MUCH Better!! :)

And you better believe that that 'lil beauty is partly what inspired my need for Tron Minimates (and the idea for 'translucents' as the exclusives packed with Light Cycles)! ;)

And you better believe that that 'lil beauty is partly what inspired my need for Tron Minimates (and the idea for 'translucents' as the exclusives packed with Light Cycles)! ;)

Happy to know that my custom brought some inspiration!

Love the way your thinking :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it appears DST got my letter about classic Tron 'mates as it showed-up in the latest "ask DST". Unfortunately the idea seems to have been shot-down due to difficulties in dealing with Disney. While that doesn't seem too surprising, what never ceases to amaze me is the amount of "Disney-sanctioned-garbage" that I constantly see and am left to wonder "how did those fools get their foot in the door?" There was also mention that Kubricks might still have the license (again, no surprise), but I was hoping that since they had already done "classic" in the past that it would open the door for DST to give it a shot. They never out-right say never (in fact I believe the reply was that it won't be happening anytime soon), which leaves a glimmer of hope (if one cares to optimistically read into things), however I suppose that I might as well start working on those customs now. Pity, I think that this could have been a great opportunity for the Minimates brand. :(

I'd go for translucent Tron Minimates. I remember having the clear plastic tron figures from the 80's with the glow in the dark disks.

I remember those! I tried to watch Tron on DVD not too long ago and found it to be unwatchable. I loved it as a kid but it just didn't hold up over the years. That being said Tron mates would rock. I don't think I'd buy them but they would look pretty cool I bet.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd go for translucent Tron Minimates. I remember having the clear plastic tron figures from the 80's with the glow in the dark disks.

I remember those! I tried to watch Tron on DVD not too long ago and found it to be unwatchable. I loved it as a kid but it just didn't hold up over the years. That being said Tron mates would rock. I don't think I'd buy them but they would look pretty cool I bet.

That's exactly what inspired the Light Cycle pack concept...homage to the Tomy line!

They would translate beautifully, and be a cost-cutter in the sense that the majority of accessories would be shared, paint app.s minimal on generic bases, and in the case of "Light-Cycles" rehashed from one mold. *sigh* Damn you Disney; besides importing Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli classics, you consistently break my heart. The ability to purchase Tron Minimates in one of your boutiques would have been worth the price of admission to one of your "Magical" Kingdoms. Such a wasted opportunity. End rant. :down:

*Wasn't there some talk awhile back about Disney possibly purchasing Marvel?

Edited by cdubya

*Wasn't there some talk awhile back about Disney possibly purchasing Marvel?

disney did purchase marvel and I have to admit I think these would make killer sets

Well there you go. Marvel is the Minimate flagship and hopefully it's success will gain the attention of Disney Rep.s (at least as a viable product despite it's lack of marketing). C'mon DST, you need some aggressive PR. The ground-work is laid, the time is right, and the door seems to be ajar...man-the-fuck-up! You don't get much bigger than the "house of mouse" (and Tron would be a great way to start the relation). ;)