UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Smallville Season 10

Twisted Two-Face

**EDIT** Renamed for discussion of Season 10. Discussion starts page 4. **EDIT**

Well, i certainly hoped we get a 9th, and was happy to find out over the Summer that we would get both a 9th and a 10th (thank you Mr. Welling!!!). Of course, i didn't realize it premiered this week (new date-Firday), but luckily i never cancelled my DVR for it when it became Season 8 re-runs. I started watching it this morning, but am only half-way through.

And even at halfway, it was fantastic. Key favorite parts (so far):

The Recovery Suit. Even if it's the "House of El" symbol and not a full-on Shield, seeing this was a treat.

Ninja-future girl fighting Lois. Very badass.

Oliver is back (according to the intro, a star)

The Legion Ring is probably gonna be picked up a Nurse.

Major Zod and his "lackeys" from the films.

KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!!!!! Holy crap!! I heard the "Salute. Kneel." And i gasped. I didn't think they'd go so far for the "before Zod," but then we get "KNEEL BEOFRE ZOD!!!" :D That was so great and nostalgic.

And that's how far i am. I am REALLY liking all of the confirmed "guest-stars" this Season though!!

JSA (no Garrick or Scott...sad)

Wonder Twins (Allison Scagliotti!!! David Gallagher.)

Metallo (John Corben; already pre-episode pictures; stars the first two episodes)

Toyman (returning)

Roulette

Female Speedy (who happens to be a red-and-yellow clad

HOOKER

)

Young Jor-El

Great line-up. Still no Diana or Bruce, but for the first ELEVEN episodes, that is just fantastic. Looks to be a great, promising Season.

No just when the hell is Clark gonna fly and come out as Supes and not the friggin Red-Blue Blur?!?!?!?!?!

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Y'know, I don't like or watch this show, but I had a dream last night in which I was living in an episode. Some rich serial killer was putting victims on planes that he owned and crashing them intentionally to kill the passengers. The Clark Kent kid didn't have his powers for some reason, and just saved the day in the nick of time (as I'm sure he always does in the show. . .though I honestly wouldn't know). At the end of the episode, a young Lois Lane was going up the escalator as he was going down the other side. Neither knew the other, but the audience knew that these two would eventually get married and have a kid in some bizarre realities.

Very strange.

I thought last season was plugging along pretty well, then in just imploded on itself. The seemed to lose their way in the last quarter of the season, and the "fight of Clark's life" lasts about two minutes. And then Jimmy turned out not to be Jimmy, and was dead. It was a mess. So despite 8 years of sticking with the show, this season starts with the show already on shaky ground.

They did not do too much to help their case. There are elements I like, including the S shirt, but the Zod plot and physical threat for this episode proved more confusing and convoluted than complex and intriguing.

One thing that just has to be addressed this season- Clark needs a disguise. A secret ID is going to be absolutely impossible to create without some kind of disguise. I know, I know, they don't want to put him in "the suit", and okay I understand that. And they keep coming up with creative ways to avoid it. But Kal either needs glassed for Clark, of a mask for his "Blurr" ID. Cause conventiantly knocking Lois unconscious, and then accidentally killing the bad guy as a way of preserving his secret is getting old.

One of the things that is encouraging is the list of guest stars. Rumor mill has Chloe geting the band back together by seasons end, including Zee.

But as I said, it's going to come down to execution. The plots initially looked like season 8 was going to go strong all the way through. But, if show sources are to believed, the effects budget was adjusted for the last section of the season. This meant what was originally planned to be a two episode finale with much longer Kent - Doomsday fight, and less compressed exposition/side conflict got smashed int a single hour and filler and padding added to the end of the season.

So I want this series to get better. I want this season to build on the elements that were working at the begining of last season. And mostly I want the season and the character of Clarck Kent to continue moving forward with his life.

I just watched it yesterday, and I thought it was so awesome!!!

Yeah I love the Zod thing and especially his accent!

:happy: The new suit is also very bad@$$, I loooooved it! Ollie fighting underground also looked awesome, it gives the troubled Ollie vibe we see in the comics. I can't wait until Metallo actually lashes out with his kryptonite heart in the next episode.

Man, K80, that IS one weird dream. 0_O

Man, K80, that IS one weird dream. 0_O

I actually had 3 dreams last night, and as I recall, that was the least weird amongst them. Another had one of my professors (about 45 years old) being a Vietnam vet with PTSD somehow, jumping out of 8th story windows for kicks and surviving.

My subconscious is a very strange place.

Not to offend anyone, but I always thought of Smallville and Birds of Prey as Lifetime's answer to DC. :blink:

Be that as it may, Birds of Prey was somewhat brilliant... :blush:

C'mon; Huntress, Canary, Harley, AND Clayface?? Who wouldn't want that?? :P

Finally finished the premiere this morning...and it's very sad that the fight between

Clark and Ninja-Kryptonian girl

was longer than the Clark/Doomsday fight. I mean...really?? I DO like what they're setting up with her though; from what i can tell through her and Zod's dialouge, we may be seeing a certain, VERY recent (as in still-going-on) Superman plot adapted for the small screen. ;)

Lois' future-flashbacks, though...WOW. :ohmy:

Be that as it may, Birds of Prey was somewhat brilliant... :blush:

C'mon; Huntress, Canary, Harley, AND Clayface?? Who wouldn't want that?? :P

Birds of Prey was a study in how to screw up what should have been a softball hit. Probably one of DC's more TV friendly concepts, and yet... missed opertunities all around.

I've been a fan of Smallville for a few years now, although I think that season 8 lost it's way a bit in the middle and never quite made it back by the finale. That being said, I enjoyed 'Savior'.

After so long avoiding his training with Jor-El, it's interesting to see Clark go the other way and choose his Kryptonian destiny, while at the same time struggling to let go of his feelings for Lois. It's another step on his journey to finding a balance between it all and becoming Superman.

The black suit is cool for now, but I'm hoping he'll be in some form of red and blue costume again before too long, preferably with the :superman: . Also, more Justice League would be nice!

I didn't think Birds of Prey was too bad either. It's a shame it was cut short, as I think there was quite a bit of potential there.

• 3 weeks later...

The JSA is coming to Smallville. Geoff Johns, who wrote last year's Legion episode, has written a story for this year's season, expected to hit during sweeps. Basically three members of the JSA come fo Smallville to wag their fingers at the sorry state of the JLA. (who have completely fallen apart, appaerently from embarrassment, after the Doomsday fiasco) Now before everyone gets excited, Johns said early on that Jay and Alan would not be appearing. Who they did decide to go with is a little surprising. They're bring in Dr Fate (played by Brent Stait, best known as Rev Bem on Andromeda), Stargirl (played by Britt Irvin of Aliens In America) and Hawkman. Yeah, I said Hawkman. It'll be the Carter Hall, superhero archaeologist version. And in a piece of stunt casting, Carter will be played by an actor best known for playing a heroic archaeologist: SG1's Micheal Shanks. Now as much as I liked SG1, the mental picture of a shirtless Daniel Jackson in a Hawkman harness just makes me snicker. A lot. I can only assume these will not be comics faithful costumes. Although I'm sure certain elements, Cater's wings, Fate's Helmet, Cortney's staff and belt, will be maintained.

Also, Smallville is going to be visited by the Wonder Twins... no word yet if Gleek will be invited to at least cameo.

An additional note from Geoff Johns on Twitter: "Yes, Hawkman will have wings. And a big mace. Oh. And he and Green Arrow don't get along. At all."

On the surface, it's a "well, duh!", but given we've got Bart in a hoddie, Dinah in face paint, Ollie in shades, and Vic without visible cybernetics somehow I find that comforting.

I'm all for more SG-1 cast members making appearances. I absolutely LOVE Michael Shanks. If he's in the full gear, I agree it will be funny, but I honestly think he'd be a great Hawkman.

The JSA is coming to Smallville. Geoff Johns, who wrote last year's Legion episode, has written a story for this year's season, expected to hit during sweeps. Basically three members of the JSA come fo Smallville to wag their fingers at the sorry state of the JLA. (who have completely fallen apart, appaerently from embarrassment, after the Doomsday fiasco) Now before everyone gets excited, Johns said early on that Jay and Alan would not be appearing. Who they did decide to go with is a little surprising. They're bring in Dr Fate (played by Brent Stait, best known as Rev Bem on Andromeda), Stargirl (played by Britt Irvin of Aliens In America) and Hawkman. Yeah, I said Hawkman. It'll be the Carter Hall, superhero archaeologist version. And in a piece of stunt casting, Carter will be played by an actor best known for playing a heroic archaeologist: SG1's Micheal Shanks. Now as much as I liked SG1, the mental picture of a shirtless Daniel Jackson in a Hawkman harness just makes me snicker. A lot. I can only assume these will not be comics faithful costumes. Although I'm sure certain elements, Cater's wings, Fate's Helmet, Cortney's staff and belt, will be maintained.

Also, Smallville is going to be visited by the Wonder Twins... no word yet if Gleek will be invited to at least cameo.

the jsa are going to rulleeeeee also gleek will have a cameo and i heard there were going to be 4 of the jsa so who's the fourth?

Why can't superhero shows/movies be more like this?

Also, the JSA? If they keep their damn dirty hands off Doc Mid-Nite, Hourman, or Spectre, i'll be fine. ;)

i rally dont mind who they change for shows cause all it does is give the character more publicity and makes people want to find out more about the character so when people say they "screwed up" a character i just thanlk the fact that had the character on the show in the first place

just my thoughts on the matter and i cant wait to see the jsa and im hoping theyll do wildcat or deadman(is he jsa?)

OOOOOHH I'm watching the new episode (Roulette) and I saw a comic-book reference!!!

Clark said "Let's just say if there's an anti-life equation I found it"!!!!!!!

And... Graham, I don't think it's long before you should make a new Kal-El/Clark custom with him in black B)

OOOOOHH I'm watching the new episode (Roulette) and I saw a comic-book reference!!!

Clark said "Let's just say if there's an anti-life equation I found it"!!!!!!!

And... Graham, I don't think it's long before you should make a new Kal-El/Clark custom with him in black B)

Cap'n, he already has. Months ago. ;)

Just got done watching the episode from the ole DVR, and i love it; caught that reference too. I just gotta say, i love Ollie, i love Arrow, and i just think that Smallville writers have done a great job on the character. Until now. Seriously, give Oliver a break; you CANNOT possibly totrue this man any more than he has already gone through, and it is just getting RIDICULOUS.

That being said,

it is great to see him in his Arrow duds again. I thought the plot for the episode was a tad too obvious (i saw the whole thing except Chloe coming a mile away), but the whole Oliver/Lois spotlight was a pleasent change from the usual Clark/Lois/Chloe aspect; it really gave each some more depth, and Clark got some much-needed OFFscreen time. Seeing a hint of romantic tension between Ollie and Chloe was smile-worthy too.

Also, i'm really liking the fact that we are getting hints that Clark is going to be the cause of Lois Flash-forwards she's been getting. I mean, it looks like everything is being set up as him tracking down and uniting that Kryptonian/Kandorian army that ultimately "destroys" the future, and has the Kandorian girl (what was her name?? Alura??) come back to stop him.

GREAT idea.

The season is sadly already better than all of Season 8, though that's probably because even without a hulking beats like Doomsday it's already darker. Now all i want is to have all of the League (Bart, Ollie, Dinah, Clark, and "Watchtower") reunite by the Society episode so:

a. The others get screen-time again

b. We can get some Ollie/Dinah continuity nods

c. They can have their asses handed to them vocally and physically by the JSA

I still really hope we see Diana, Bruce, and Hal by Season 10, before we kiss the show goodbye, just so we can have our full League and appease fans. Personally, i'd just want Diana to join as a regular and Hal at least a 2-part episode, but whatever works. :blush:

Yeah, I made a 'Savior' Clark Kent back in August. I'm looking forward to the costume designs they come up with for the JSA, and aside from that I will probably want to make a Dr. Hamilton, Metallo and Zod.

I've been really enjoying S9 so far, although the latest episode was a little disappointing to me. Don't get me wrong,

I'm glad that GA's back (although I was pretty sure he burned his costume in a previous episode)

. It was done in quite an interesting way that could have further effects for Chloe down the line. I actually wish that Clark had been in that episode a little more, though. His story didn't really develop much here,

apart from the setup for Jor-El coming to Earth

Hey, random thought/speaking of publicity for characters, anyone watch that mildly amusing Batman: Brave and the Bold musical episode?

And Smallville, yeah, ok show. I don't follow TV shows much anymore... I'll follow Walking Dead when it's made though. Smallville kinda fell out with me in season 7.

all it does is give the character more publicity

No Publicity>Bad Publicity

See, that's my problem with shows like Smallville. They tone down the characters too much. <_< Nobody even wears a mask for pete's sake! :rolleyes:

But that's just my opinion. :yes:

SSP

Now, now Piggy. Canary has a face-paint Mask. ;)

Face paint masks...I'm beginning to smell "Smallville on Broadway". :sick:

• 3 weeks later...

Well Jor-El came and went. And now we have some explaination of where the non-powered Kryptonians came from. First really 'meh' episode of the season for me, but then we certianly need the exposition.

And come on, we know why they're having some many Ollie centric episodes... it's called stalling. The producers, both past and present, have repeatedly stated this show is about becoming Superman and that the suit is the end point. Now for seasons 6 and 7 they delayed the process by having Clark mope about Lana on the farm. Given the choice beween moping and Ollie, I'll take Ollie episodes.

And on costumes... I like the Green Arrow costume... I'd like it better if he'd swap the shades for a domino mask. I like the Auaman redesign too. They can't do a formal Flash costume, cause Smallville Bart can't be the Flash. As weird as it seems to say given its all the same company, but its a rights issue. They got reprimanded for just calling him the Flash in the preview clip. But Bart can be Impulse... too bad all the test indicated the Impulse suit looked bad on a real person. So Bart too gets a hoodie. Budget issues keep Vic from actaully looking like the real Cyborg. Zatanna, who's suppossed to be coming back this season, looks dead on perfect. And really, the most un-comics accurate think about Black Canary, aside from the face paint, is the hair cut. Blame the actress, cause she's still wearing it on SGU.

All sources indicate that Fate will have his helmet. And the Hawkman suit is one of the most tweaked designs because they are trying to avoid camp and stay true to the basic design elements. Good luck with that.

And in case you haven't heard, J'onn J'onnz is supposed to be back for the now two hour JSA/Smallville event. Rumor has maybe one more JLA'er too. Confirmed though is blasksploytation queen Pam Grier as Amanda Waller being introduced in the episode. I know, I know, CC Pounder would be better, (after all, she's already prety much playing Waller again as Mrs. Freddricks in Warehouse 13) but Fox hasn't formally canceled her abyssmal comdey yet, so she's unavailable. And a still tightly underwraps JSA villian as the big bad.