UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Mates are out:

Well, at least none of the Speed Racer figures, be them minimate or other, come with a helmet, despite showing him in a helmet in that "40 year" logo. Better when we're all equally screwed as opposed to a small majority.

Actually, if you look closely at the "deluxe", Speed does come with a helmet(at his feet). I just chalk-it-up to "cutting-corners" to compensate the cost of producing the vehicles. That, and AA being notorious for re-using parts, probably didn't see a future re-use for the helmet mold(although customizers might have been able to use it for a "riot-police" custom). Oh well, they're OK, but sincerely doubt that they will "save the line" like DC mates could.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey thanks Lobster

I appreciate the offer. I think my wife is dragging me to my brother in laws this weekend, There is like 3 TRUs between here and there. If I dont get em by then. I may just take you up on that

Thanks again

moc847

I know how you feel, MOC. Yesterday I had the TRU clerk check their online computer system. They had 12 of each Minimate set logged into the store. "They are called Minimate Speed Racer," she told me. Only one problem, I spent an hour searching the store for them and couldn't find them. Anywhere!

Finally, the manager said he thought they might be sitting on the truck behind the store. Wha-what?

Although their system computer manifest showed them as being in the store, they wouldn't be "in the store" until the overnight stock workers put them out.

So much for the West Coast being ahead of the rest of the world. Tonight I try again. Wish me luck.

I just looked around this evening for anything new and saw absolutely nothing!!!

The only thing I found that was new to me was a GI Joe three pack that had a Bad ass "Stealth" Cobra Commander!! Wouldn't buy that for him, but if it came as a seperate......would have been all over it!

Sheesh, every Product has a Pooper and this entire mesage board is it!!!!

I can't wait to find them. Shoddy paint apps or not.

My Racer X minimate is going to knock up all of my female marvel minimates and maybe spoon with Rhino.... Liike I said: I can't wait.

CloneMe

I've become too frustrated with my search in Los Angeles. I live near three TRUs. All have them listed in their manifest as being in the stores. No workers can find them.

Anyone work at TRU? How long have they used high school students to stock shelves? Apparently the TRUs in my area use students who work for school credit (not money). The stores are an absolute mess. I found the SF2 packs in the board games section. No Speed Racer to be found.

In addition, English is a second language for most of the paid staff. I have to write out the word MINIMATE for the customer service people who can't understand what I'm saying. They look it up on their computers and they find a lot of Minimates but they don't know where it is in the store. The manager thinks they have cases in the back but they won't be unpacked for weeks until the student workers come back.

A worker offered to let me go through the boxes in the back. I peaked back there and saw so many boxes I sighed. Most were Toybiz and Mattel boxes. Marvel Legends and JLU collectors would probably find all of the hard to find stuff in the back rooms of the LA TRUs.

I'm giving up on TRU. Too annoying. I am also guessing that they will be filing for bankruptcy shortly. I've heard they are on the ropes and everything I've seen indicates an end is near. Wal-mart is killing TRU on price, and it appears they will also be beating them with service soon too. Not good.

Glad you finally found them. It was kind of a letdown when I saw them, too.

"Ooo ooo ooo, finally, new Minimates... um... oh... that's it?"

That totally sums up my speed racer experience...

I haven't even been excited enough to take them out of the packaging yet... :(

T.

That totally sums up my speed racer experience...

I haven't even been excited enough to take them out of the packaging yet... :(

T.

You would have thought after all my whiney posts above that I would have ripped right into mine when I got them last night.

No, not only have I also not opened mine yet, I haven't even taken them out of my CAR. I bought them last night, looked at them, sighed, and tossed them into the back seat. They didn't satisfy my Minimate hunger at all.

It's not that they were bad in themselves, I'm really just looking for Mates with more customizing potential. For every one I buy to keep, I buy two more for what else I can do with their parts. The accessories are really what make Minimates so great to me.

So, for the Speed Racer mates to have no extra parts at all (c'mon guys, would helmets really have broken the bank? A neckerchief, even?), and after seeing three waves of Marvel mates with rehashed parts, it was just kind of a disappointment.

dragzilla!!!!

man I am dying for some new minimates. Did you see there are some more cylon pics up at TNI?

You know it is so bad, that the marvel 12 and 13 series...i was originally really bummed about em. Now i am chomping at the bit for them.

So until then I NEED Speed and Racer X to fill that void...good gravy I need new minimates!!!!

I agree. After a lackluster 10 and 11, I was a bit disappointed by 12 and 13 being more blatant reuse, even cutting corners on the parts they would reuse. But, after waiting so long and having my irritation turn into full-blown rage, I'm actually craving these poor representations of the New Avengers and Astonishing X-Men. I'm not a big DC fan, but seeing all those new characters with all their new scales and parts, I was excited about them too. Now, its turning into irritation, since we aren't likely to see the good stuff anytime soon. Street Fighter, I was excited about. But it never showed up in Greenville. Not even the 4-packs. More irritation because no access to the good stuff. Speed Racer...hey, it was something new. Vehicles with characters, something unheard of for AA at the time. I was never a SR fan, but hey, new minimates, right? These things come out (not in Greenville) and we discover the paint apps ain't great, the one part that isn't part of your average blank minimate is a reuse, and they didn't even bother to make the character match the source material (Speed's shoes). Irritation. Judging by my range of emotions for the Marvel line, I think they're delaying this stuff to make us love lower quality crap. How long before I go from irritation to hunger for sub-par Speed?