UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Mates are out:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting.

So I guess the only thing worse than no Minimates are shit Minimates?

I bet everyone will still buy 'em though.

I won't

..well i might

..oh you KNOW i will :D

My take on these is that they are nothing to be really too happy about. Sure they are new, but AA isn't making any strides with these. I must say these aren't worth $7.99 plus tax, much less Racer X. Think about it, there are no accessories either. These should have had better made Cars. This wave should have had a few more characters. The Mini-Flyers were better imo.

Eventhough Mass SFII are rehashed packs, they are a better value imo. If you get both packs, you can make up for not getting the Hollywood exclusive too.

Yep totally agree guys... I picked these up today... they were in the toy car isle not with darktide or the SFII packs.

I'm hugely disapointed! :(

Like everyone else I had to go through them all and pick out the best of the worst of Racer X.

As you guys have said this is a step back if you ask me, the quality of the paint apps suck - and is probably why the DC mates are being delayed if they are being made in the same place, DCD would probably pitch a fit if the quality of the DC line is like this one.

Other things like no helmets or even Speed having stupid white shoes ( hes just a white blank from the waist down.) instead of the black ones that all the other speed figures or pictures have is annoying.

I guess it's what we're going to have to get used to, all the mates we want are getting pushed back for mass market re-releases or this stuff, seems it's becoming all about how to cut corners and scrape that last buck rather than giving us the consistent quality or even actully releasing the stuff we want or were used to in the past.

I have about a dozen spaces left to fill in my display cases... at this rate they will be filled with kubricks not minimates and then I'm going to stop. AA really needs to pull off something amazing and soon to get me reinvigerated and back in the game.

T.

To be honest I'd rather have had no minimates than these, they're just depressing. I could've done better, and you've all seen my customs...

Crap mates, crap cars, crap packaging. No redeeming features at all, if they're trying to build the brand by releasing junk like this over Marvel/DC/BSG then they are gonna have trouble

I know that the quality sucks, but to be honest it was a refreshing feeling when i got to buy these bad boys. I would still give them a shot. Even though Speed does look a little bit like a girl. He has very pretty eyes. :rolleyes: Captivating if you ask me. LOL. Oh and does Racer X even have a helmet in the cartoon. I dont think he wears one.

Yes Racer X does wear a helmet, how else would he keep his secert identity. Still haven't got these figures in my part of the U.S. but the more everybody complains about them the less excited I get about them. Hopefully they will look better in person, and I can get me a small little fix for my plastic crack addiction.

I guess it's what we're going to have to get used to, all the mates we want are getting pushed back for mass market re-releases or this stuff, seems it's becoming all about how to cut corners and scrape that last buck rather than giving us the consistent quality or even actully releasing the stuff we want or were used to in the past.

I will have to agree with this statement. I believe the company is cutting corners. I like minimates, but would like to have another corporation to buy the line and take control of the quality of the minimates that will be coming out in the future.

With what everyone is saying.....i truly hope that these come in cause I just want to get a good look at these mates.

I'm starting to think my current idea may work..... as soon as the Street Fighter 4 packs come out and I have decent cash, I am going to pick up as many as I can JUST so i have plenty of spare figures to use as Custom fodder until the DC, Marvel 12 & 13 and Hopefully SF series 2 comes out.

Wow, everyone is being pretty dang hard on the line. I can't say that I disagree with most of the complaints. My Racer X has some bad paint apps as well. And the cars are a little out of scale. Honestly, everything that's been said seems to be accurate, but I still find it hard to believe everyone is being so critical. These are toys. Speed Racer himself has never been a BIG american character. They are bring a newer, "hipper" show, but these are based on the classic character. Just the fact they are releasing them alone is a plus. Also, whether the cars are in scale or not, I just think they are fun. They are small and well made. I was afraid of getting some crappy "pull-back motor" type of thing, but I was glad the way they turn out. Maybe I'm alone, but I do really like my Speed Minimates. I really don't see much difference between these and the first marvel mates. No accessories? Check. Limited Characters? Check. Overpriced? Check. So, in the end I guess it's just personal preference, and I personally think they are pretty cool and would buy a second wave, if they released one. Before anyone makes a snap judgement, I recommend that you at least take a look at them for yourself. neo

Wow, everyone is being pretty dang hard on the line. I can't say that I disagree with most of the complaints. My Racer X has some bad paint apps as well. And the cars are a little out of scale. Honestly, everything that's been said seems to be accurate, but I still find it hard to believe everyone is being so critical. These are toys. Speed Racer himself has never been a BIG american character. They are bring a newer, "hipper" show, but these are based on the classic character. Just the fact they are releasing them alone is a plus. Also, whether the cars are in scale or not, I just think they are fun. They are small and well made. I was afraid of getting some crappy "pull-back motor" type of thing, but I was glad the way they turn out. Maybe I'm alone, but I do really like my Speed Minimates. I really don't see much difference between these and the first marvel mates. No accessories? Check. Limited Characters? Check. Overpriced? Check. So, in the end I guess it's just personal preference, and I personally think they are pretty cool and would buy a second wave, if they released one. Before anyone makes a snap judgement, I recommend that you at least take a look at them for yourself. neo

Well, your argument for them is the same argument I have against them. If you're going to go through the trouble of picking up a somewhat obscure liscence, then you really need to hit the product out of the park if you want to make money off of it. I know you won't sell any to the casual observer if you can't even present a decent looking paintjob. These would sell great to my little brother, who has a habit of coloring all his minimates with markers, but for someone looking for a decent figure for display or even careful play, I don't think you'll find it here.

I am with neo on this one. While I have not seen them I will be buying them. And why? Because they are minimates. Bad paints apps, whatever, all mass market minimates have had bad paint apps. Just look at the TRU ten pack next to those figures that came out before. Perform a side be side comparisons of the minimates from target and Wal-Mart with those that came from your local comic book store and you will see a huge difference. So don’t hate on speed racer just because of some bad paint apps, you know I won’t.

I am with neo on this one. While I have not seen them I will be buying them. And why? Because they are minimates. Bad paints apps, whatever, all mass market minimates have had bad paint apps. Just look at the TRU ten pack next to those figures that came out before. Perform a side be side comparisons of the minimates from target and Wal-Mart with those that came from your local comic book store and you will see a huge difference. So don’t hate on speed racer just because of some bad paint apps, you know I won’t.

We dont hate on Speed Racer for shoddy paint apps, we hate on it for being badly thought out and rushed to mass to make a quick buck whilst we sit waiting for the stuff weve been promised since before S.R. was a twinkle in AA's eye. Also it might be wise to actually see what you're talking about before telling others that have these mates in hand what to think.

As for being ok with shoddy paint apps... nope it's not ok, after Tax I paid nearly $20 for two badly painted and thought out minimates.. I could have bought a ML icons hulk for the same money!

Go Speed Racer, Go....Away!

T.

Well I can't form an opinion on these, since I can not find them in my area, yet. But based on the reviews thus far, I am not going to be shocked if these are less than stellar. The thing that is really blowing my mind, is the negative reviews from the guys i consider the "leaders" here on the board. These must really suck, if the guys who always have good thoughts are this negative. It really makes me sad to say it, but I fear my favorite toys are going extinct...and there doesn't seem to be anything i can do to help it. drag.

moc847

Well I can't form an opinion on these, since I can not find them in my area, yet. But based on the reviews thus far, I am not going to be shocked if these are less than stellar. The thing that is really blowing my mind, is the negative reviews from the guys i consider the "leaders" here on the board. These must really suck, if the guys who always have good thoughts are this negative. It really makes me sad to say it, but I fear my favorite toys are going extinct...and there doesn't seem to be anything i can do to help it. drag.

moc847

Yeah, the figureheads of the minimate movement haven't had a whole lot of praise to lavish on these guys thus far.

Neither Speed nor SF2 have shown up in Greenville yet, but if it comes time to scour the internet for these babies, I'll be reading the inevitable review on Minimates Central before I click Buy Now.

On a side note, these things seem to be running around $20 or so on eBay right now. Rediculous!

The thing that is really blowing my mind, is the negative reviews from the guys i consider the "leaders" here on the board. These must really suck, if the guys who always have good thoughts are this negative.

Well, don't let it brong you down on these too much. I think they skimped a bit on the detail with Speed & RX, but I can almost overlook it. The cars are a seemingly awesome first "mini-vehicle" but the figures do not fit well, the steering wheel is to the side which makes the figures position in the car look dumb, and the cars are a bit strange looking. They should be a bit more in scale to the figure and they sit too high off the chasis. Again, all of this is just my opinion. Still good to see new mates on the shelves, but I don't see these breathing any fresh air into the product line, at all.

I wasn't going to get them at all, but I was unable to find the Street Fighter 4 packs:( I couldn't leave the store empty handed so I picked up the Speed Racer minimates.

Just can't walk through those doors without something in your hands? Man, do I feel your pain. ;)

Lots of fine points. I do not have them yet, and thus cannot comment on the quality.

To add - Speed Racer IS an American icon, at least in that he is one of the first (debatably the first, but some conted Astro Boy as the first and Speed Racer the first major) examples of Japanese animation being imported to the US. The property is very significant, and there are numerous references to it throughout pop-culture.

Isn't it appropriate that the cars are deformed? The same is being done to the Battlestar Galactica franchise. It fits the subtext of minimates. Again, I don't own them (yet), but as long as the figures nicely fit into the vehicle, I think the pictures indicate I'll be happy.

I'm looking forward to acquiring these for myself and making a reasonable judgement on my own. I'm having a lot of trouble making any sort of thought about these from the comments in this thread.

edit: Mad Ups to NeoLego for the great pics. Thanks a bunch! Solidified my resolve to get them. :)

Sad to hear the paint apps aren't up to par. So far haven't seen them here yet. To solve the car problem, AA is also supposed to have other Speed toys with cars released too. I'm hoping the deluxe vehicle will work ok for the minimates (hopefully near the same size as the C3 Batmobile).

speedracerpreviews.jpg

I'm a HUGE Speed fan, dressed up as him for Halloween at work a couple years ago. I'm disappointed that he doesn't have black shoes, but a little paint will take care of that! Haven't seen the mates in person but will definitely be picking them up.