UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

New Marvel wave news soon?

Lobsterman

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe one of the board members can calrify this one: Was Menace a guy at one point? Not to be the one to bring breats back to the front of the discussion... but shouldn't Menace be well, endowed? Am I the only one that's going to customize blob's belly into Oz's in-utero fetus?

Funny wave. The pairings make sense, but the larger picture is an odd mix.

Edited by 616commando

Maybe one of the board members can calrify this one: Was Menace a guy at one point? Not to be the one to bring breats back to the front of the discussion... but shouldn't Menace be well, endowed?

Menace did appear to be male at first, but this "effect" turned out to just be part of the transformation that took place when Lily Hollister took goblin serum (or, really, it turned out to be misdirection by the writers to stop us figuring out who Menace was) -- she was physically transformed into a goblin, rather than just dressing up like one like Osborn. I don't *think* she actually transformed into a guy, more like she put on too much muscle to tell the difference, like a bodybuilder or something.

Lily's current look is basically a pregnant female version of Menace, so yeah, the minimate is a bit out of date already.

What will be interesting to see if in 10 years there's a "Real" revelation about Menace similar to the one that Stern did with the Hobgoblin, and Menace does turn out to be male and Lily the dupe. I mean, they stole quite a bit from the Hobgoblin story, why not go all the way? For those new to the game, Roger Stern created the Hobgoblin but left the book before his ID was revealed. Defalco unmasked him as Ned Leeds. Apparently that's not what Stern had in mind as years later Stern wrote a mini-series revealing Hobgoblin as Rodrick Kingsly, one of Stern's original suspects, and Leeds as his dupe/fall guy.

And then there's the "legend" of the Green Goblin. There's a long standing story that Steve Ditko had some else in mind as the real identity of the Green Goblin. Back in the day Stan was doing little more than writing dialog for a lot of the Lee/Ditko run, sometimes suggesting villains and ideas, but mostly it was Ditko making up the stories and sending them to to Stan for words. This relationship eventually broke down, and Ditko left the title and eventually Marvel entirely. Ditko to this day does not discuss Spider-Man much, but once a long time ago, allegedly, he said that in his mind the Goblin was not Norman, but an existing character in Ditko's run. Norman, if you'll remember, was pretty much introduced on panel, (he'd been referenced as Harry's dad previous to this) then quickly revealed as the Goblin during the Lee/Romita era. If the story is true, Ditko has never revealed who he was planning to be the Goblin, so it's a mystery lost to time.

Three times there's been a mysterious glider riding Goblin that writers want the reader to guess their identity. Spaced about 20 years apart. Should monthly comics survive another 20, I'm sure they'll try it again.

Or they could just bring back Facade...

Or they could just bring back Facade...

Man, you just had to bring up that horrible storyline, didn't you? No matter how goofy "shapeshifting goblin women who look like men and have shapeshifting babies" is, it's still not as bad or incredibly stupid as that story was.

Man, you just had to bring up that horrible storyline, didn't you? No matter how goofy "shapeshifting goblin women who look like men and have shapeshifting babies" is, it's still not as bad or incredibly stupid as that story was.

It's good to remember that as bad as thing may seem, they could always be worse.

I mean, at least this time when Tony has killed allies among other morally questionable actions, The-Powers-That-Be aren't talking about killing him and replacing Tony with his alternate reality teenage self. (even odds that when all is said and done, they will blame the Extremis virus for all of Tony's actions during the Civil War, just like Immortus was to blame for the end of Galactic Storm through the Crossing. Not sure how they'll excuse Reed's though.)

Looks like another great wave to me. I wasn't too sure about Menace initially, but I daresay some of those pieces will be great for customising, especially for folk looking to do generic fantasy 'mates. I suspect I may have to get quite a few of the sentinels, though I hope the hand-flames will be removeable.

Add me to the list of people wanting a tattooed second face for Rachel, a slimmer Anti-Venom, and most importantly of all, a Meggan/Nightcrawler two-pack to complete classic Excalibur (a Meggan with extra claws and a second face for her battle form would be particularly welcome). :)

Add me to the list of people wanting a tattooed second face for Rachel, a slimmer Anti-Venom, and most importantly of all, a Meggan/Nightcrawler two-pack to complete classic Excalibur (a Meggan with extra claws and a second face for her battle form would be particularly welcome). :)

You and i will be great friends :D

Edited by Nessex

We normally get wave news in 2s -- are we expecting a wave 34 announcement soon?

Didn't we have it hinted at recently that AA/DST was looking into spacing the waves about a bit more? Or releasing them one wave at a time?

Now that they have Captain Britain and Shadowcat and Rachel Summers, they should do a Megan and Nightcrawler 2-pack that would finish the original Excalibur. Plus I don't have Nightcrawler so that would be double cool for me.

Now that they have Captain Britain and Shadowcat and Rachel Summers, they should do a Megan and Nightcrawler 2-pack that would finish the original Excalibur. Plus I don't have Nightcrawler so that would be double cool for me.

Ominously, didn't Chuck say something about not being able to complete every team they've started? Now hopefully, he was talking about teams with monstrous membership roles, like the Avengers, and not a team like Excalibur with it's 5 member core. Or maybe he was just tired of answering the "Where's Songbird and Swordsman?" question he was no doubt being hammered with at the convention.

Guess we can always hope (pathetically and against reason) that AA/DST will make a 'Finishing The Teams' wave featuring:

Nightcrawler/Meggan (This'd take care of Excalibur)

SongBird/Swordsman (Thunderbolts)

Vulture/Updated Doc Ock (Original Sinister Six)

Although - this does go against the current trend of Army Builders in waves. Perhaps we could have a variant Young Vulture with a Iron Scarlet Spider (with the arms this time) or Spider-Slayer army builder?

DST gets to include SpiderMan to help sales & collectors get to finish off some teams finally! Win/Win!

Ominously, didn't Chuck say something about not being able to complete every team they've started? Now hopefully, he was talking about teams with monstrous membership roles, like the Avengers, and not a team like Excalibur with it's 5 member core. Or maybe he was just tired of answering the "Where's Songbird and Swordsman?" question he was no doubt being hammered with at the convention.

I am only new to this addiction but isn't the Dark Avengers a team that has been completed?

I am only new to this addiction but isn't the Dark Avengers a team that has been completed?

Yeah - but it's pretty much the only one. And it's taken about 6 years to finally get a complete team.

Edit: Although we do also kind of have the Astonishing X-men too if you count that as a 'team'. (And most of the 'Mates in that set were a bit lamely produced . . . i think it was a bit of a 'cost-cutting' wave)

Edited by Nessex

Yeah - but it's pretty much the only one. And it's taken about 6 years to finally get a complete team.

Although we do also kind of have the Astonishing X-men to if you count that as a 'team'.

I am still trying to work it all out. I have only been collecting for literally 2 days now :)

Edited by Raider

I am only new to this addiction but isn't the Dark Avengers the only team that has been completed?

There, I fixed it.

Though I guess you could say that the Fantastic Four has been completed too, though we haven't seen some of the alternates. I'm surprised we haven't seen a box set of the "new" Fantastic Four, since it would net us Spidey and Wolverine in a single box set.

I am only new to this addiction but isn't the Dark Avengers the only team that has been completed?

There, I fixed it.

Though I guess you could say that the Fantastic Four has been completed too, though we haven't seen some of the alternates. I'm surprised we haven't seen a box set of the "new" Fantastic Four, since it would net us Spidey and Wolverine in a single box set.

I'd be happy if it was the "Old" New Fantastic Four. Spidy, Wolverine, Gray Hulk and Ghost Rider

I'm surprised we haven't seen a box set of the "new" Fantastic Four, since it would net us Spidey and Wolverine in a single box set.

Hold the phone.

I thought we already completed this team. I distinctly remember it being called "The New Avengers."

Oh wait a minute, we're still missing Mockingbird from that team. And civvie Jessica Jones. And Echo. And a hypothetical Iron Fist redesign. And Skrull Spiderwoman. Sorry, not helping again.

If it makes things any better, DST's just a few waves away from completing the Illuminati. (Okay, not exactly a team, but you get the picture. God help us all if something bad happens to that Black Bolt wave.)

Which reminds me: Mockingbird, retooled Iron Fist and Echo would make for great candidates for wave 34. :P

Which reminds me: Mockingbird, retooled Iron Fist and Echo would make for great candidates for wave 34. :P

I'm really surprised we haven't seen a new Iron Fist yet. Some new decal artwork, reuse the existing Iron Fist mask - boom, new Iron Fist. I'm halfway expecting to see him as a new TRU exclusive.

Almost every "good guy" character in the Marvel U has been in one of the 3 or 4 major teams at one time or another. We probably never will have every obscure guy who joined the Avengers for 2 issues or the X-Men for a day.

While Nessex is right in that we are nearly finished with completing those teams for specific periods of time, there were lots more members of Excalibur and the Sinister Six (and, I'm guessing Thunderbolts) as time went on.

We do have the complete original Avengers team, and the X-Men during part of the Claremont/Byrne era (excluding "honorary"-type member Banshee). We have the complete original X-Men/X-Factor of course, though not in those costumes yet.

An updated FF is definitely overdue, IMO.

And let me add that I would love to see an updated Iron Fist. I always loved his design (even as a kid).

Well considering the epic fail that was the last attempt to updated Luke Cage, (no really that's supposed to be a hat?) maybe a Power Man and Iron Fist set redeux would be in order.

And I'm for a black/white Byrne era redo of the FF. Maybe an FF wave, with completely flame free Johnny Storm as the variant. And Annihilus. Or the Mole Man and Moloids army builders...