UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The NFL Thread

karamazov80

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Horrible. Reminiscent of the first Saints game against the Seachickens this season, but even worse somehow. Once again Manning can't will his team to victory in the biggest game. I fear this will be bad for his legacy in the long run. Greatest regular season QB of all time, but. . .

Can't blame Manning entirely, though. Total team meltdown. But it's not too surprising, in a way I thought the Seahawks would win, because their secondary is so good, and Denver's offense beats you with precision and execution rather then explosiveness or cleverness. Seattle was able to squash that execution, and Denver didn't have anything to answer with. I was surprised that the Seahawks offense was as effective as it was. I expected a low scoring Seattle win, but not a blowout.

Peyton's downfield passing, though...down.gif

BTW, did they really just bring the Red Hot Chili Peppers in to do one song? Bruno Mars couldn't have extended his set?

Can't blame Manning entirely, though. Total team meltdown.

Of course, that's true, though that's what the great Seattle D does. Hell, they did it to the Saints twice this year. But, putting that aside, Manning didn't get it done. He has a losing record in the playoffs, and in the Superbowl. If Tom Brady were QB, I doubt the game would have been that badly skewed, because in the biggest game I bet he would find a way to sustain drives, score points, and keep his defense fresh. I don't want to discount what was clearly the major factor last night--Seattle's D--but I think Manning deserves some blame when you look at his history, and just add this to the list.

That was so depressingly terrible. I was expecting Eli to rip off his Peyton mask halfway through.

But hey, Bob Dylan commercial.

Eli is 2-0 in the Superbowl! He's sometimes mediocre in the regular season, but he knows how to handle high pressure situations. Funny how he and his brother seem so opposite in that regard. As for the Dylan commercial, pretty nausea inducing. Makes me want to toss my old Dylan CDs in the trash laugh.png I guess losing sight of what used to drive you, and becoming part of that system you used to rage against is all a part of growing older. But that doesn't make it any less depressing.

The Seahawks wanted it so much more that the Broncos just couldn't compete. The Saints did the same thing to the Colts in SB44 (another Manning flop). I congratulate them and am very glad to see another no-SB-win team shed that title.

Peyton definitely deserves a lot of the blame. His inability to throw a half-decent deep pass was a major factor, I thought. You weren't going to beat that Seahawks team with four yard crossing routes over and over. Funny that he set a record for completions, because so few of them were crucial. But the whole team was lousy; I think, when a team gets beaten that thoroughly, it's probably the coaches that deserve most of the blame.

Though Peyton is probably the closest to a player/coach in the league as well, considering his dominance over the offense in terms of what personnel are brought in, what kinds of schemes they run, his ability to audible at will and overrule whatever the offensive coordinator calls, etc. Having said that, I think John Fox is a competent, but not overly great coach. I saw him for years in Carolina against the Saints and he just seemed kind of average as a coach to my eyes.

And Carroll. . .I can't stand the guy. I think he's one of the most annoying coaches in the NFL, up there with Jim Harbaugh and Rex Ryan, but credit where it is due, he helped mold that Seattle team into a real force to be reckoned with, and his managerial/coaching style seems to have really worked. I agree with you that the coaches do deserve a lot of the credit/blame here.

Edited by karamazov80

Though Peyton is probably the closest to a player/coach in the league as well, considering his dominance over the offense in terms of what personnel are brought in, what kinds of schemes they run, his ability to audible at will and overrule whatever the offensive coordinator calls, etc. Having said that, I think John Fox is a competent, but not overly great coach. I saw him for years in Carolina against the Saints and he just seemed kind of average as a coach to my eyes.

And Carroll. . .I can't stand the guy. I think he's one of the most annoying coaches in the NFL, up there with Jim Harbaugh and Rex Ryan, but credit where it is due, he helped mold that Seattle team into a real force to be reckoned with, and his managerial/coaching style seems to have really worked. I agree with you that the coaches do deserve a lot of the credit/blame here.

Curious, what do you find annoying about Pete Carroll?

The way he carries himself, nothing I can necessarily pinpoint apart from the arrogance he exudes and the way he chews gum biggrin.png But as I said, that personality seems to have helped him as a coach. He's definitely a "positive" energy guy, but I guess I'm more of a Bill Belichick fan. I'm also not a fan of what went down while he was at USC, while the aftereffects had to be dealt with by others.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...