UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The NFL Thread

karamazov80

Well, now it looks like we will be 8-0, anyway :)

Old Saints very rarely won games like this one and the one against Miami. It's a good feeling to be winning, but damn if I haven't been sweating all game.

--edit: and congrats to Reideen's Creamsicle Bucs! That was a big-time win, but I am very disturbed by the fact that we have all these divisional games left against teams who are trending up. . .--

Edited by karamazov80

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. We've managed so far to make up for any seriously bad play we've had. We played particularly badly against Miami, the Panthers, and now St. Louis, but our ability to come back from extremely crappy and sloppy play isn't gonna keep happening indefinitely. I was just worrying myself about us running into a team in the playoffs that could stop us from scoring 25+. Our defense just is not capable of making up for deficits that our offense may create. Fortunately, we have the potential to score 40+ on any given night :)

And however we got our wins, we are now. . . 9-0 WHO DAT?

Holy crap what an ending to a game tonight!! Any of you who turned it off early should be kicking yourselves.

Belichick made the stupidest play call in recent memory. He makes Les Miles look like a coaching genius.

I am just happy the Bengals beat the Steelers(again) I really didn't know if it was going to happen this time. The Colts on the other hand... Why the SMURF can't they play 60 minutes like they do the last 15. I actually turned off the game after Manning through the second Interception. Then I looked at the score just to know for sure and lo and behold they came back seriously they must have bets on each quarter or something.

What's for me, being in Indy, is that their's this stigma about playing the Pats. I fully expected the Colts to lose last night before the game started. It wasn't until it was over that they start talking about how the colts have won 5 of the last 6 against NE. Since it was losing 7 of 8 before that, it's still in my mind that they're going to lose. I know they over-hype their meetings, but it really is the biggest rivalry out there (or at least it feels like it when you live here).

Funny that that is the case for teams that aren't even divisional rivals. In fact, recently I was curious as to how those two seemed to play each other every year. As some of you may know, if a team finishes first in their division, then they will play the first ranked teams from the previous year from every other division in their conference. If a team was second in the division, they play every second placed team, etc. It just so happens that the Colts and Pats were their respective divisional champions for something like 6 of the past 7 years (one reason I hate both teams so damn much). One year, they were each 2nd. So, as long as they are both among the best in the league, there is a fair chance they will play every year, and maintain their rivalry even if they don't meet in the playoffs.

Seems like the NFL should reserve 1 or 2 weeks for "non-divisional rivals," though, where they could pit a quarterback or coach against a former team, make sure the Colts played the Pats, etc.

Funny that that is the case for teams that aren't even divisional rivals. In fact, recently I was curious as to how those two seemed to play each other every year. As some of you may know, if a team finishes first in their division, then they will play the first ranked teams from the previous year from every other division in their conference. If a team was second in the division, they play every second placed team, etc. It just so happens that the Colts and Pats were their respective divisional champions for something like 6 of the past 7 years (one reason I hate both teams so damn much). One year, they were each 2nd. So, as long as they are both among the best in the league, there is a fair chance they will play every year, and maintain their rivalry even if they don't meet in the playoffs.

Seems like the NFL should reserve 1 or 2 weeks for "non-divisional rivals," though, where they could pit a quarterback or coach against a former team, make sure the Colts played the Pats, etc.

yeah Pittsburgh had been playing IND and NE almost like every year the past couple. Always drove me up a wall.

The Steelers is a team I am suprised Indy does not have more of a rivalry with. Considering the Steelers have played Indy several times in playoff or at important times during the season.

PIT and IND and PIT and NE both have a recent history...but not as strong a rivalry as IND and NE. NE burned PIT many times during the playoffs in their run in the early 2000s. I try to block those games out.

Well, he is right in that you get that 2 yards and you win, and you've got Tom Brady to make that throw. But still. . .you've got to play the odds. I don't care how bad your team has been in the 4th quarter so far. Choice between giving Peyton Manning 30 yards instead of 80 is no choice at all.

The bulk of the first half was actually pretty close, but our offensive line just dominated in the second half. Our defense did a fantastic job of keeping the Bucs from converting on third downs, too, which is a nice change of pace from their behavior in recent weeks. But to be fair, Josh Freeman did not handle pressure on third downs very well.