UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Disney buys Marvel

boyd

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wild conjecture: Hell has officially frozen over? :ermm:

Hopefully they won't be short-sighted enough to start "Disneyfying" all the Marvel stuff. At the most this might just lead to more "kid-friendly" material and the possibility of more Disney comics (possibly comic novelizations of properties like Rocketeer or even the revival of the Don Rosa strips?), though if we start seeing ridiculous crossovers then I might just draw the line.

From Wikipedia,

"Teen Bop Crap, formerly known as Disney, is a company dedicated to ruining Walt's legacy in any way possible, which includes praising teen who have no ability to make music, screwing over the characters that made the company what it is,and buying as many out as many companies as possible. <_<

So here's to you Marvel,

R.I.P. Marvel Comics

1939-2009

And while were still mourning,

R.I.P. Charlton Comics

1946-1986

:(

P.S. I miss Donald Duck! :(

Edited by super spider piggy

Are you sure you're not confusing Wikipedia with Uncyclopedia or the Encyclopedia Dramatica, SSP? ;)

Mickey Mouse and Wolverine cross over will be epic.

Fantastic Four and High School Musical, however, is NOT cool. :angry:

Though I think I read a comment somewhere about Dazzler becoming the next Hannah Montana :lol:

The closest thing to a bright side I can think of: Donald Duck meets Howard the Duck? :blink:

Here's another one: The return of Gargoyles? :woot:

Yes, more "kid friendly" books will be horrible. Let's continue with our stone cold killers, hero imprisoning heroes, and devil-deal-making of the past few years.

Short term- this means the end of the Marvel cartoons on Nicktoons.

Long term- I have no clue.

When Disney bought Pixar, everyone was worried that Disney would assert more creative control, and that the quality of Pixar's films would drop. Well, Disney recognized the quality of the creators' work, and stayed out of their daily affairs. It might just be my eternal optimism, but I think the same thing will happen with Marvel. We might see more merchandise and more cartoons, but I think Disney will leave the comics alone.

Not necessarily saying I'm against all kid-friendly comics... I've read some of the Mini Marvels comics online and actually enjoyed reading them (particularly that Illuminati arc :lol:) and I imagine titles like Runaways, the Pet Avengers and that Franklin Richards one all kinda started out being targeted at the youth.

All I'm saying is that I hope Disney doesn't end up compromising the more "mature" titles like Daredevil, Punisher and the whole Marvel Knights imprint, not to mention the ongoing crossover arcs... never mind what we all say about them anyway *keeps lips sealed on Ultimatum and Dark Reign* :whistling:

this means the end of the Marvel cartoons on Nicktoons.

*Prays for Angry Beavers comeback*

:huh:

I'm actually stunned and speechless by this. I can see good side in the prduction of movies and animation but I can also see a bad side in the watering down and kiddying of the comic characters. My big fear is that whoever is now in charge will look at the history of the marvelverse conclude its too messy and force a massive reboot with everything that has gone before never have happened.

Also what will now happen AA/DST want to renew their marvel licence it could all just be kicked into touch.

It's probably too early to tell what'll happen with this deal. If they feel the need to start tweaking the good content (ie. what I read on a weekly/monthly basis) then it may spell the end of my comic buying.

On the bright side, now all future Marvel Minimates will come with little Mickey hats for their heads.

A lot of this might have to do with bringing a different crowd into their theme parks, and removing some of the draw of "Islands of Adventure."

But whatever the case, I think the case of the Muppets gives additional room for optimism. When Disney bought the Muppets, they had been lingering in creative and commercial mediocrity for years following Henson's death. After Disney bought their rights, sure, we kept getting crappy TV movies, but we also got DVD releases that we didn't get before (seasons of the Muppet Show), awesome new collectibles were licensed (Master Replicas) and now we are primed to have some genuinely fresh, creative folks working on Muppet movies. Given where Marvel has been over the last few years (I've been turned off to them, anyway), I'm not sure that a movement back to its pre-post-modern absurdity would be a bad thing. Plus, maybe these guys will have the good sense to give Hot Toys the license to make 12 inch comic-style figures :woot: .

Somewhat surprising move... I guess these really are desperate times for some big companies..

How will it be different than the Warner Bros + DC deal?

I wonder how this will effect Marvel Island at Universal Studios Orlando.. One of Disney Worlds most interesting competitors in the area... I hope things like that remain outside of the new deal.

According to this, the impression seems to be that under Disney ownership Marvel might finally be able to bring more of its "lesser known 5,000 characters" to the fore... though I have no way of knowing if this is BS or not.

And I'm not sure it's entirely accurate to attribute Pixar's success to Disney either: as far as I'm concerned they're still two completely different creative entities, one just so happens to be so big it owns the other, that's all. If Disney's treatment of its own properties or those it adapts is any indication, I would rightfully be worried. I still like some of their older stuff, though.

And I echo Minifiend UK's concern about the Marvel-DST partnership being in potential jeopardy if the Disney deal pushes through... with Marvel at the hands of a global commercial juggernaut, there could be a possibility it'll kick smaller companies like DST to the curb as far as merchandising goes :(

Somewhat surprising move... I guess these really are desperate times for some big companies..

How will it be different than the Warner Bros + DC deal?

I wonder how this will effect Marvel Island at Universal Studios Orlando.. One of Disney Worlds most interesting competitors in the area... I hope things like that remain outside of the new deal.

If I'm not mistaken Island of Adventure is currently being turned into The World of Harry Potter anyway.

Ok, we will see these two comics, it's inevitable!

Spiderman meets Hannah Montana:

It's concert night at New York City where the one and only Hannah Montana will perform for a VIP audience! But how will this night turn out when Dr. Octopus kidnaps Ms. Montana? It's up to Spiderman to stop Doc Ock before he reveals Hannah's identity to the public! But what happens when both Hanna Montana and Spiderman's true identity's are revealed to each other?

JONAS/ Fantastic Four team-up:

The Jonas Brothers have noticed something strange about their new record producer, and only the Fantastic Four know what it is -- he's a Skrull! Can the Fantastic Four warn the Jonas Brothers before the Skrull replaces the brother's new album with a mind control CD? Can the Jonas Brothers warn the public in time?

Know what would REALLY kick ass?

Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, featuring Squirrel Girl

Giant-Size Ego Team-up: Darkwing Duck and Deadpool

Punisher Kills The Marvel Universe, a Pixar Presentation

The Jonas Brothers have noticed something strange about their new record producer, and only the Fantastic Four know what it is -- he's a Skrull! Can the Fantastic Four warn the Jonas Brothers before the Skrull replaces the brother's new album with a mind control CD? Can the Jonas Brothers warn the public in time?

Sounds like the plot to a Josie and the Pussycats story :lol:

Mickey Mouse and Wolverine cross over will be epic.

Fantastic Four and High School Musical, however, is NOT cool. :angry:

Though I think I read a comment somewhere about Dazzler becoming the next Hannah Montana :lol:

The closest thing to a bright side I can think of: Donald Duck meets Howard the Duck? :blink:

Minideadpool, if by epic, you mean Wolverine beating the @#$% out of mickey mouse in 5 minutes, then yes.

:highfive2:

Incredibles vs. Dark Avengers! Goofy vs. Lockjaw! Chip & Dale vs. The Wonder Twins! Wait...that's not right! :blink:

Edited by Mr.Wasabihead2

I just saw this on my Local News station, and darted upstairs. My first thought, after shock died down, was "OH HELL NO!!" I gotta say, even with how big and *successful* Disney is, this is horrifying; i was mad when Barack showed up in Spider-man. If Hannah poison's my pages of X-men so help me God...

And NR's Pixar-Punisher is something i would see; gotta put that out there. :P