UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Who is the Red Hulk?

BrobotC

Who do you think is the Red Hulk?Some say Samson,General Ross,and even Rick Jones.But who do you think it is?At one point in the comic i think they said something about a mixture of the super soldier program and gamma radiation caused the Red Hulk.Post who you think it is and why....

Personally, i'm gonna say some really damn obscure Hulk character that never really caught on, who suddenly decided to "grow some" and become who he is now. Of course, he has to be someone Hulk fought with a brain, considering the way he talks. <_<

In other words, K80's perspective: a lame idea. Luckily it can't get any la-oh yea...Red SHE-Hulk...:rolleyes:

Glenn Talbot would be my main suspect as well. For those who don't know the name, Talbot was General Ross's sidekick for years. Talbot was also Banner's romantic rival for Betty's affections for many years, and was even married to Betty for a while, when she tried to convince herself Bruce was forever lost to her. You can guess how well that worked out for Talbot. He was already experimented on once before during the time he was captured by the Gremlin and believed dead. Talbot "died" when he tried to attack the Hulk one more time in a giant flying War-Wagon (which may or may not have been SHEILD's anti-Godzilla weapon) over an inactive volcano. Again, you can probably guess the ending here, and obviously as in most firey crashes into irrupting volcanoes, no body was found. Talbot certainly has ample reason to hate the Hulk, and reasons to be jealous of the Hulk/Banner, the way Red Hulk seems to be. Talbot has the weapons training Rulk has shown in the past, but not the "break into incrypted SHIELD files in seconds" intelligence that Rulk has shown. And Talbot is suppossed to be dead. But he's the strongest canidate.

In the same vein, Jack Armbruster was another officer who worked with Ross and came to hate the Hulk. Armbruster is suppossed to be dead too, killed in a bomb plot by the Gremlin using a double of Talbot. His history with the Hulk is not as storied, nor his hatered as strong as Talbot's. But when so many clues are pointing to one guy, he starts to look like a red herring.

Glenn WOULD make sense... Hell he was tossed into a VOLCANO. RED Hulk... Gets HOTTER when he gets angry...

Any chance that it's the Leader bulked up?

maybe he fell into a gamma radiated volcano?that actually makes alot of sense..

but..they said the only know fact about the human form of red hulk is that he has green hair....

but..they said the only known fact about the human form of red hulk is that he has green hair....

That leaves Doc Samson, who Rulk has been seen with. Or any number of people from Jarella's world. And if they go that route, and this does turn out to be some walk-on half-named microverse inhabitant that Peter Sanderson couldn't pick out of a lineup, then someone deserves to be slapped... hard.

And we're also reaching the tipping point on dragging out the mystery. And the mystery is the only thing about Rulk still holding my interest. When new characters are turned into god-killers just so they can seem threatening, I start to lose interest. Trying to kill Blonsky is one thing. (and no I don't think the Abomination is going to stay dead long) But being able to kill the Surfer? Fight Galactus? Kill an Elder of the Universe? (which technically he can't, the Grandmaster was condemed to enternal life by Death) Now we've officially gotten too silly when the cosmic characters are reduced to jobbers so we'll believe the new threat is cool.

My biggest gripe is that fact that this Asshole was able to pick up Thor's Hammer. If memory serves and I am sure Miry will be along to correct or confirm my saying this, but Iron Man couldn't even do that.

they have gone to great lengths to explain as having to do with he didnt really pick it up so much as "directed its momentum" after Thor heaved it

My biggest gripe is that fact that this Asshole was able to pick up Thor's Hammer. If memory serves and I am sure Miry will be along to correct or confirm my saying this, but Iron Man couldn't even do that.

they have gone to great lengths to explain as having to do with he didnt really pick it up so much as "directed its momentum" after Thor heaved it

Which they have had Juggernaut do in the past. Also it's also the official explanation for Eric Masterson once appearing to swing the hammer in human form.

That said, the panel as drawn sure looks like he's toting Thor's hammer.

The hammer's enchantment is slightly subjective as well. It requires great physical strength just to lift it, possibly superhuman strength to wield it in battle. But no one not considered "worthy" can lift it. And many have tried. Aside from Odin and his brothers, father, and grandfather, only Beta Ray Bill, and Captain America have proven really worthy. Red Norvell was granted the ability to wield it in an effort by Odin to replace Thor, but Red eventually earned himself into being worthy. Likewise Eric Masterson eventually proved himself worthy of weilding the hammer even without being merged with Thor. And then there's a couple of DC characters, most notably Superman, who was temporarily granted to power to lift it by Odin, but when the crisis had past, he found he could not lift it. Before you cry foul, you have to remember that the guy who set the enchantment is the head viking god and the arbiter of who is worthy. Superman, while certainly noble and powerful, is not a warrior at heart the way Thor and Cap are, and thus he can't lift it normally. It's the same combination that prevents the Surfer from lifting it. Hercules and Namor lack the strength of character Odin seems to require as well. Of the DC folks, Wonder Woman is the most likely to be judged worthy by Odin, and she did lift the hammer during the Marvel vs DC crossover if memory serves. Intereting side note, Conan once proved worthy in a What if.

There is another loop-hole in the enchantment: Non-living robots can lift the hammer, but obviously cannot access any of the hammer's powers.

Which is my typically long winded way of saying there is no way Rulk could lift it on his own without major homerism on the part of the writers.

Edited by Mirymate

It's funny, I just read an article on this and apparently Odin was dead during this fight? That was the explanation that Loeb/McGuinness gave that one of the long standing Marvel editors confirmed. I can't remember which editor, but he used to write back in the day and knew the ins and out of the MU. The article definitely made me interested in this character and he does seem to have a motivation. I'm thinking he's a red herring though and when we finally do find out it's either going to be lame or great. No middle ground.

And we're also reaching the tipping point on dragging out the mystery. And the mystery is the only thing about Rulk still holding my interest. When new characters are turned into god-killers just so they can seem threatening, I start to lose interest. Trying to kill Blonsky is one thing. (and no I don't think the Abomination is going to stay dead long) But being able to kill the Surfer? Fight Galactus? Kill an Elder of the Universe? (which technically he can't, the Grandmaster was condemed to enternal life by Death) Now we've officially gotten too silly when the cosmic characters are reduced to jobbers so we'll believe the new threat is cool.

As a big fan of the cosmic side of Marvel, I agree with this 100%. There are plenty of other ways to make characters threatening.

I'm gonna go with a really lame idea, executed even more horribly.

Hit the nail on the head

It's funny, I just read an article on this and apparently Odin was dead during this fight? That was the explanation that Loeb/McGuinness gave that one of the long standing Marvel editors confirmed. I can't remember which editor, but he used to write back in the day and knew the ins and out of the MU. The article definitely made me interested in this character and he does seem to have a motivation. I'm thinking he's a red herring though and when we finally do find out it's either going to be lame or great. No middle ground.

I believe it was Tom Breevort who you might be thinking about.

but clearly the red hulk is not worthy of picking up the hammer,and he didnt pick up the hammer,thor threw the hammer and he grabbed it and used it to propel them.once they broke through the atmosphere,there was no gravity,so he was able to use it. ;)

Edited by brobotc

Probably Breevort. And yeah, Odin is currently not alive. But Thor has the whole of the Odin-power within him, and there has been absolutely no observable weakening of Odin's other enchantments. Odin was dead when Superman could / then could not lift it at the end of JLA/Avengers. So obviously the only reasonable conclusion is that Rulk is stronger than Superman. Which, given the direction Loeb's heading with this character, is not an unreasonable conclusion. Ridiculous, but not unreasonable.

Like I said originally, Marvel had Juggernaut use the "redirect the hammer on it's return trip" trick before too. Surpirsed the heck out of Thor the first time too. It's not new per say. But that sounds like it was the plan B explanation. If what Donster said if verifiable, then Loeb was going to try and say Rulk is such a colossal bad-ass, he can lift Thor's hammer through force of cool, since Odin was too dead to say no. :rolleyes:

SHEILD's anti-Godzilla weapon

This sounds waaaay more interesting than anything Red Hulk-related.

So, mystical enchantments are tied into laws of physics?

Um, duh? Mystical Enchatments are also closely tied to lack of competent editorial oversight.

Another actual guess: the Gremlin. He started out as a Hulk villain before joining the Soviet Super Soldiers, which also started as Hulk villains. Like Talbot, he's supposed to be dead, accidentally killed by Iron Man during the Armor Wars. Gremlin is a genius, with weapons training, and a massive inferiority complex. He had dark pink skin. Although, if it were the Gremlin, one would think he'd have spent more time to going after the guy who "killed" him.

Now the Gremlin also had an equally misshapen genius father, the Gargoyle. Like every other guess, he's supposed to be dead, but this guy's been allegedly dead since Hulk #1 in 1962. He holds the distinction of being the Hulk's first super-powered foe. Making him the Red Hulk would elevate Gargoyle to something beyond footnote status. And no, despite what was depicted in the 90's cartoon, the Gargoyle was never, ever the Leader's sidekick.