UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I just spent $600 dollars on two minimates....

Well call me crazy, but I just spent $600 dollars on Gold and Silver Spider-Man still in the package. I kept telling myself I wouldn't go over $300, but then that turned into $400 and then $500 and finally $600. I felt like I had two because they were the last two I needed to complete my marvel collection. Not counting just released and small variants like a dark blue gun instead of black which I don't care about.

Has anyone else spent a crazy amount of money like this all at once on minimates?

i'd been following that auction, and a little earlier tonight was having a good laugh with my family that someone had spend $600 on 2" of plastic.

jokes aside, congratulations on winning, and i hope you're v.happy with your purchase... what price can you put on happiness?

...other than, $600

EDIT: to answer your question, i first got into minimates in 2007, a few days after i'd received my student loan. i managed to spend the equivilent of approx. $300 in 3-4days, playing catch up on ebay. in my defence, the dollar was v.v.weak at the time

Edited by bobafett

wow that auction started with a buy it now of a whopping $60.00 with free shipping, so I'm told.

I guess somebody thought they could pull a fast one there..

does anyone know what the openning bid was? just curious

wow that auction started with a buy it now of a whopping $60.00 with free shipping, so I'm told.

Seriously? Whoever first bid is kicking themselves now, I bet :lol:

Edited by karamazov80

I know when there was just one bid on it it was $60.

And, no, I've never spent that much on 2 toys at once. Not even close. Frankly, I like my wife and I'd sure like to keep her around.

Same here. I asked my wife what she'd say if I paid $600.00 for minimates and she said "it wouldn't matter what I said because you would not be here to hear it".

$600 seems like a crazy amount of money, until you start to add up how much you've spent on minimates in total. And I say "start" because I started to feel sick and never finished that task... I know for me, if I throw in all the other toys I've bought since I first picked up a Kermit 6 or 7 years ago, $600 really is just a drop in the comically large bucket.

Even though this post sounds negative, my point is I don't think it's too much, I believe you can buy (a little bit of) happiness, and you should enjoy your Spideys! Congrats on the win!

I believe that the starting bid was $60 (not a BIN) & an advanced search on the listing perhaps confirms it. I am still confused at the level of scepticism regarding their authenticity .....these are Gold & Silver Spider-Man,numbered in sealed bags .....is there yet a new level of authenticity required now?

Enjoy them rodimus because they are great little figures.

Edited by buttheadsmate

All sarcasm aside, it's good to see there are people out there who can still drop $600 on a collecting hobby "in this economy". Unfortunately... well I could win a $350,000,000.00 loto tomorrow, and I think my wife would take that much for two 2" plastic men well. But it's good to know there are those who can.

Wow. . . . that makes me jealous for two reasons 1. you will have a gold and silver spidey and 2. you have 600$ to drop like that! I would have done it too my friend if I had that kind of moolah but since I don't I will just congratulate you on completing your collection. Those and the holiday spidey are the holdouts in my collection so I have just resigned myself to being a not so complete completist.

Seriously? Whoever first bid is kicking themselves now, I bet :lol:

'Twas me who was the first bidder. There was no buy it now, trust me, or they'd be on their way to my house right now :D.

I wonder why he didn't do separate auctions for these. I think he may have gotten more money.....plus, I only need one of them ;), so my max bid wasn't very large to begin with. Just figured I'd get the ball rolling

l..................that you got a minimate that very little people have. Congrats.

I'm 6' 2"!

That's a terrible joke :D

Congrats Rodimus, I am so jealous. I hope you enjoy them, I was planning on bidding and then if I won just hiding them from my girlfriend so she'd have no idea....she already thinks I'm nuts!

I will of course post pics as soon as I get them, as far as opening them I am conflicted. I would like to display them next to all my other spideys, and I have never been a MIB collector but since these are so rare I might just have to leave them in the package. Anyway I should have them by Friday so expect pics then.

Congrats rodimus on winning those mates! $600 nah, not too bad, you can say it's a good amount on just two minimates but they're not just ordinary minimates.

For me personally I have bought up to at least $1200 in one weekend on minimates. From time to time the way DST is releasing mates it's now like $400 here, $250 there. My wallet feels it now every time, ouchie.

l..................that you got a minimate that very little people have. Congrats.

I'm 6' 2"!

I thought people shrink as they get older?!? How tall were you before?

I was in fact 6'3" up until 1988 when I crashed my car & spent 3 months in traction in hospital. I had a compound fracture of my left leg & kneecap which resulted in me losing an inch in height . Strangely enough by the time I was forty I had regained the missing inch but recent measurings have indicated that it has mysteriously gone missing.... yet again. My left leg is one & a half inches shorter than my right leg if that is relevant......is any of that relevant ?:biggrin:

Is that clear!

I bet ol' Rodimus doesn't open them ;) Part of me can't blame him & part of me wants to laugh out loud at the irony of toy-collecting :lol: