UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Does anyone else do this?

murderofcrows

ever since I have started collecting minimates, anytime I see anything that has Marvel Comics Characters on it, I immediately take inventory, to see if there is a minimate of that character.

whether it be children's books, t shirts, lunch boxes...whatever. I always check the ratio of minimate vs non minimate.

An example, we were at a bookstore today, and there was a Marvel Flip book for kids...out of all of the characters shown only the following did not make it as minimates

doombot

MODOK (which NEEDS to be made)

Baron Zemo

Beetle

Falcon

Toad

I told my wife, hey over 85 percent of the characters in this book have minimates made of them...she just rolled her eyes.

Am I alone in this obsession?

moc847

please note I did not purchase the book, as Kang was not in it. :)

I don't completely blame you guys. Based on recent, and recently announced releases, they must believe in the policy of appeasement. Hey DST, don't forget Munich!

Edited by karamazov80

Am I alone in this obsession?

probably :P j/k

The trend has been imo that we'll get some of our wanted characters either mixed into related waves of updated previously released mates. If it's ever made(Kang) it'll be most likely in a FF/Avengers wave/box set maybe? Mole man/Doombot probably has a leg up on that. Should have been in the Villains box set imo

Actually as I'm reading books and look at the characters, it just comes out in my mind...minimate, no minimate, minimate, no minimate. That's when you realize how many more characters still need to be made, especially villains.

I was playing the Marvel Legends vs MiniMates game for a while, but between Hasbro kind of dropping the ball with Legends & AA/DST going into MiniMate over-drive, it's less of a competition and more just a matter of time before 'Mates covers every character released by Legends.

Edited by Nessex

Once in awhile, especially when it comes to dc mates, I'll be like," damn I wish that character was made", or if a new character is introduced in a comic, like lady bullseye or blackpanther storm, I'll say "hmm wonder if that character will be made?"

Eh, i guess i play sometimes. I know i'l be reading a new comic and start thinking of who i'd want, and then who we won't get. People like those from the new Noir-iverse, or the 1602-iverse that i want that i know we'll never get since they aren't mainstream. Hell, i want the classic F4 blue and white costumes; we don't have a shot at those any time soon.

I think we all know from who we look at and what we read which will and won't. I mean, sure, there are those that make SENSE, but still won't; obviously we're gonna get Red She-Hulk before my damn Mockingbird, for example. <_<

You are not alone, brother. i do that whenever i pick up a new issue of anything, either marvel or dc. just the other day, i was reading Messiah Complex, and i was thinking of how we don't have enough of those characters, like a current Cable and Bishop, or a new Nightcrawler, or even Wolverine with a mask that's in current continuity (XForce not included). and i keep a running mental list of my huge wants and my needs to set up teams. so you are not alone, my collector friend.

And screw Kang. Give me ULTIMATUM HAWKEYE and WINTER SOLDIER!

I actually do think of Marvel Minis when I see a character printed somewhere.. but I guess my positive nature comes through.. I tend to notice characters and say to myself, "Hey, there is a minimate made of this figure".

Vox

Man I still want 1602 minis...

Well honestly if I did this every time I read a comic, I would be blown out of my mind on how many have yet to be made. Mostly because I only read Ultimate comics. Which means we have 18 minimates from that universe. Albeit some are similar enough to work in both universes (IE Daredvil and Kingpin) but I don't count them as they are not specific to Ultimate line. So honestly, I don't.

I regularly go through the Marvel and DC encyclopedias to see about customs I can make.

I do this a lot when I watch a DC animation, just "oooooh, how can I make that?!" all the time, every episode of "Brave and the Bold" is like that (Blue Beetle, Gentleman Ghost, DKR Batman, and Owl Man elude me on how to really capture as mini-mates, but every other character I've really enjoyed either already existed or was a pretty easy quick custom + stickers)

"X-Men Evolution" makes me bitch and moan about what VERSIONS of characters I want to see. (basically: "X-Treme X-Men Rogue or one with a Coat... I'll sharpy in the purple eye liner later", "tweed blazer and turtle neck Professor X", "Jim Lee hair out Cyclops", and "Black Outfit Mystique" I what I whine about wanting as I watch the show)

I find myself doing something similar. When I see minimates accessories, I start to mentally do an inventory of unmade characters to see if the accessories would work for them. For example, when I first saw the DC penguin, I thought "nice hat, do I have time to make the Ringmaster?" Between Series 4 and 5 of Trek, I (like I'm sure a lot others have done) started rounding out the Wrath of Khan crew, the Motion Picture Kirk and Spock (worked for the large figures, right?), and of course, one of the figures that eluded me in the Playmates Trek days of the 90's, Tapestry Picard.

When I do see a character, I think about whether a minimate exists, and then right into what pieces would be needed, and do they already exist.