UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Chicago Comic Con Minimates Report

Hey all, I just got back from WWC, and I'm using the Hotel's computer, so I'm going to make this breif. :D

There wasn't anything new(only TRUhostbusters wave 2, Beverly Hills Cop, and t2 wave to were on display also), but the TRU BSG mini-flyers were displayed with the piloits next to them. The gold cylon is shiny!

DST brought the Dark Avengers 2 amd Video Game Ghostbusters sets. The Dark Avngers set sold out the first day, so I wasn't able to pick that up, but I got the GB set with the free 25th blank. There were a TON of blanks at the booth, so I wouldn't worry about having to pay super high prices on ebay for one.

I talked to Matt very breifly. I told him who I was, and he asked what Marvel minis we want right now. I blurted out KANG without hesitation. :P He started laughing and said how one day he's going to get tired of the bugging and actually see what he can do to get him to us.

That's it! Pics tomorrow!

I, too, talked to DST Matt. He put me down on a list for a replacement mask for Bullseye/Hawkeye. He gave me a Unification Spock and Ghostbusters 'mate for my troubles!

I showed him an issue of Madman Atomic Comics and the frankenmate of Madman that I'd put together. He said it looked neat and that they'd look at other Image properties.

And of course I asked him about Kang, which caused him to laugh. He said "Yeah, everybody asks about him" and that eventually they'd get around to making him.

Whatever you do, don't mention Kang! to these guys. :D While talking to him (DSTMatt) Thursday, he sort of stopped me before I even asked...lol

The booth had mates for sale but was bare on displays, can't blame them though. Not many working the booth and would've been hell to bring everything.

Actually as a whole the con has been a downer every year. I'm hoping that the NYCC group organized Chicago Comics & Entertainment Expo takes over the chicago scene with a bigger and better convention come April.

I was there on Friday only and talked to Matt, who rang up my purchase of the Amazon "exclusive" ghosts set. I wasn't feeling well, so I probably came across as some type of plastic junkie (which, really, isn't too far from the truth), and I forgot to express my desire for the Brother Voodoo mate that should be packaged with Kang in wave 33.

Sorry to hear that Chicago has been a downer to some folks. While not having to do with minimates, I had a dream come true many times over when my girlfriend and I were invited to sit at Mike and Laura Allred's (Madman, Wednesday Comics' Metamorpho) table and hang out with them! I'm having a wonderful time, as you can read all about here:

http://www.comicscommunity.com/boards/allr...es=n;read=32162

Might as well throw my two cents in, since I've been at Chicago all weekend too. (I live here, so I go every year.)

I was in and out of the Diamond booth repeatedly thursday and friday, trying to catch Matt opening a new case of Wolverine Origins mates so I could get my Sabretooth variant, since Toyrocket went bankrupt and cancelled my order. >_< (PS. Happy to report, on Friday, at the very end of the day, I finally got him to break down and crack a fresh case for me, I expect he was rewarding my persistance. I thanked him profusely, and Matt, if you're reading this, I promise, it's here with my collection and I wasn't just a pushy ebay scalper. Thanks again. lol)

Anyway, I've been picking Matt's brain on and off all weekend. Here are the highlights...

Someone was suggesting Minimates figures, I think for BSG, I honest to god don't remember what they recommended, but I used it to segway into my own top wants. And after mulling it over a few minutes I said, "Jubilee" to which Matt replied (I'm paraphrasing from memory), "Jubilee is probably a longshot. Especially since she doesn't have powers now. She's not really relevent, she has to get interesting again." and I said, "Aw, but you could still do her, you're doing tons of 90s X-Men now. She doesn't have to be modern Jubilee, just make classic Jubilee. She'd rock." and he said, "Well we do have this trenchcoat piece from Kyle Reese now, so you never know." BUT ANYWAY, his commentary made it sound pretty clear that Jubilee isn't in the plans for the immediate future. (*Cry*)

THEN... I said, "You know who else I gotta tell you... I'd absolutely LOVE, but she's even less likely than Jubilee... is Marrow." (I'm a huge Marrow fan, long story) and he said, "Marrow! Man... if we did Marrow it would have to be in like, a Morlocks boxed set." and I said, "DO IT! I'll buy it!" and he said, "But who else would be in it lets see... Mohawk Storm would work." and I said, "AND YOU ALREADY HAVE HER PROTOTYPED!" and he said, "And Callisto, I guess would have to be in it." I said, "Great." and he said, "Who else... I guess... Caliban." and again I said, "DO EET!" and he said, "But that's 3 girls in one set... I dunno. Don't think that's going to work. Who else could we use? We need another guy." and my buddy said "Leech" to which Matt promptly replied that he absolutely refused to do Artie and Leech and everybody chuckled. Honest to god though, his general tone made the Morlocks set sound more likely than Jubilee, lol. (But probably still unlikely.)

Finally, the only other interesting thing I heard from Matt was that Diamond has completely sold out of series 25. I learned this after asking why he has Wolverine Movie Mates, but no series 25, since they hit at the same time, and he said if he had'em he'd sell'em, but they're completely sold out of 25. *Shrug* eBay here I come I guess... <_<

He then said, 25 was probably one of his favorite lineups ever, I said I'm more of an X-Men fan, and he said "Ooo... just wait. Lots more X-Men coming. Lots more 90s X-Men coming." I have no idea if he was refering to stuff we've seen already or stuff we haven't seen, lol.

Edited by Gillbob316

I, too, talked to DST Matt. He put me down on a list for a replacement mask for Bullseye/Hawkeye. He gave me a Unification Spock and Ghostbusters 'mate for my troubles!

What do you mean by replacement mask? Is it the one shown on the back of the DA #2 box?

Sorry to hear that Chicago has been a downer to some folks. While not having to do with minimates, I had a dream come true many times over when my girlfriend and I were invited to sit at Mike and Laura Allred's (Madman, Wednesday Comics' Metamorpho) table and hang out with them! I'm having a wonderful time, as you can read all about here:

http://www.comicscommunity.com/boards/allr...es=n;read=32162

Hey that's a great story, good work fella. :)

Madman/Atomics/Red Rocket 7 would all make for great minimates.

I think I mentioned this before, but I think Allred's style would work very well with Minimates. If we ever get an "X-Statix" set (as unlikely as that is), I would hope to get them in his style.

Was the Laboratory playset displayed at the booth ?

Nothing but Ghostbusters, T2, BSG and Beverly Hills Cop were on display.

I felt slightly disappointed this year. Without the presence of the big comic company booths (Marvel, DC, Dark Horse to name a few) the whole thing just seemed like nothing but places to buy things. There wasn't much else to do but spend money. Aspen and DST were the only "big names" with a booth. No other toy companies but Skeleflex and Shocker Toys were there, but they aren't anything to go nuts over. I was looking at the Shocker booth, but was steered away when the guy sitting there watched me like I was about to steal something.

I still had a great time! I got a picture and autograph with/from Ed Gale (Howard the Duck!) as well as a drawing from my second favorite artist (no matter what, Michael Turner is always my first) Alvin Lee.

Nice story Mystery Man, glad you had a great time and had a dream come true. Must have been fun.

It wasn't a total loss, although most of my excitement was meeting few people. Kristanna Loken (yeah she can chase me and terminate me ;) ) , the Go Daddy.com Candice Michelle, no not only interested in the laidies :P , but I kept missing Admiral Adama (Edward James Almos) and crew XO(Michael Hogan) and Kat (Luciana Carro). Wish Marvel, DC, Dark Horse, Mattel were there, too many heavy weights out. This con became more of a comics flea market with autograph session. It was interesting to see how many ghostbusters people were out, at least Ernie Hudson was there for them.

He then said, 25 was probably one of his favorite lineups ever, I said I'm more of an X-Men fan, and he said "Ooo... just wait. Lots more X-Men coming. Lots more 90s X-Men coming." I have no idea if he was refering to stuff we've seen already or stuff we haven't seen, lol.

SWEET SMURFING JESUS! WOOT!

More X-Men & Specifically 90's X-Men!

:cable::apocalypse::wolvie::wub:

WOOT

*Does Happy Dance*

Thanx for the insider info guys. MUCH appreciated.

Edit: yeah, i know those emoticons have been made into mates already - but they were the only x-men ones i could find!

Edited by Nessex

SWEET SMURFING JESUS! WOOT!

More X-Men & Specifically 90's X-Men!

WOOT

*Does Happy Dance*

Thanx for the insider info guys. MUCH appreciated.

Holy. Crap. Wow. Suddenly my need for Jean and Scott seems filled with FA, X-factor, and now 90s; come on, you can't have 90s X-men with out the leader (again, screw you Logan.) and the greatest comic book character ever made...er...his psychic/telepathic/telekinetic girlfriend. :blush:

This is just awsome; made my day.

Damn...that means a i need a new rant...90S PROFESSOR X WITH HOVERCHAIR!!! :lol:

I would sell my brothers kidneys for a Jim Lee Jean Grey!

Screw the kidneys. I'd sell my brother for a Jim Lee Jean Grey!! :yes: I'll throw in BHM for shipping. :P

I'd do anything for every Jean costume imaginable. Especially the AoA Jean, AoA Phoenix, Here Comes Tomorrow, White Crown, and Noir. And a Wedding 4-pack, but that's another story. This picture always makes me cry:

th_JeanGreys_wallpaper-1.jpg

I'd kill for HALF of these.

Anyway...back on topic... :blush:

and i have a new wallpaper at work now :)

(AOA Jean is top on my list for Jean wants)

As for being back on topic: What 90's X-Men do we think we're gonna see? A Jim Lee Cyclops is a pretty good bet. I'm guessing maybe an Omega Red?

What 90's X-Men cast does everyone most want to see get Mated? (like, made into MiniMates . . . not the other kind of Mated)

Edited by Nessex

and i have a new wallpaper at work now :)

(AOA Jean is top on my list for Jean wants)

As for being back on topic: What 90's X-Men do we think we're gonna see? A Jim Lee Cyclops is a pretty good bet. I'm guessing maybe an Omega Red?

What 90's X-Men cast does everyone most want to see get Mated? (like, made into MiniMates . . . not the other kind of Mated)

jubilee....(and i know the answer :( )

Edited by SErge

I was just thinking last night about Age of Apocalypse mates!

I'd like to see:

Sabertooth & Wildchild

Jean Grey & Wolverine

Magneto & Apocalypse

Blink & Morph

Now, once we have the hair-piece for Blink, use it and the ankle wings for Namorita to go into the 4-pack with Night Thrasher, Kid Nova, and Speedball!