UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

NorthRaider

Okay, who wants to be the first sucker to own up to watching this?

I haven't seen it (yet), but I have to admit how amused I am by some of the casting choices.

Christopher Eccleston is Destro. Just felt like bringing that up :P

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any movie with Burgess Meredith & Don Johnson in can't be bad.....I thought I'd bring that up :sick:

I was listening yesterday to some of the cast talking about the movie & it seemed that even they were taking the p...mickey out of it. Dennis Quaid seems like a safe choice in any SciFi Movie & hawks his wares in this one & the choice of Jonathan Pryce as the bad-guy....er..um..President is a cliche. Mr.Eko will be passing his time before getting the job as the Black Panther & I'd advise him to keep the name Mr.Eko rather than his wonderful albeit heavy duty real one ;) Sienna Miller's a great actress but suffers from her appearance .........

I know there are many fans of this icon & I hope you're not going to be let down by the cast/plot......I doubt that the SFX will let you down however, all time record for wrecking automobiles in one scene I believe.

Edited by buttheadsmate

I'm a huge GI Joe fan & when I saw the first trailer, I was horrified? What had they done to my beloved memories of "A Real American Hero" as a child? What are these robotic super-suits? I was ready for a boycott.

Then I recieved the novel for my birthday and it really wasn't a bad read. They took some liberties with the back stories making some of the characters related, but overall it seems like a good popcorn/action movie. I'm going to see it tomorrow afternoon and I can't wait!

Sienna Miller's in a skintight black leather suit is worth the price of admission for me! :wub:

I'll be back with a full report tomorrow. If spoilers start popping up, be sure to add that to the topic title!

I will prob go watch it as a straight out explosion and guns style action movie. I have no knowledge of GI Joe what ever outside of seeing the Mighty Muggs and I think it has a small connection to a Action Man/Action Force in UK. So I will prob enjoy it not having to worry if they have got this or that character right.

I haven't decided if I will see it at the theaters or not. I was primed to hate it before a script was written, feelings reinforced by the casting and choice of director. . .BUT, it is "GI Joe." And Rob, that was horrible :biggrin:

Still not sure about the Cobra Commander mask redeco, And there's always going to be some part of my brain the thinks a Waynes Brother in an action movie is a bad idea. (But then, I am still getting over needing to take Jaimie Fox seriously as an actor... and Tom Hanks can win all the acting awards he wants, he's still the guy from Bussome Buddies)

That said, it looked like it had the potential to be a good popcorn flick. Anything more than that, it's gravy.

We have tickets for Sunday Night. It's a Guys Night Out. I'm actually really looking forward to it and I think it will be better than we all think.....at least I hope.

I've heard a few reviews say it's a great Popcorn action movie and better than Transformers.............but that's not saying much...

neo

I just saw it, and it's actually not all that terrible. It's not great, and not especially memorable either, though. It did remind me of the 1980s cartoon movie a little (the only G.I.Joe backstory I know) with all the high-tech weaponry and vehicles. Like Transformers, it felt like a bit of a toy advert, which is fair enough, because that's all I expected from it. It doesn't try to be something it's not, so it ends up as a good fun watch. Not unmissable, but I don't regret going.

I'm taking my son to see it in an hour. The few reviews that I have read thus far have been pretty positive. I really am not liking the super suits that they wear though. One of the great things about the toys and toons was that they all had their own look and style to them. They didn't look like some generic military team, which was part of their charm. I'm hoping to see a lot of action and a half way decent storyline. I hated Transformers 2, and almost walked out on that movie half way through. I'm pretty much positive that G.I. Joe won't be that horrendous.

It was ok. I was hoping for an epic battle between Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, but we never really got one. I feel the final battle between the two was pretty lackluster :( Was hoping to see some awesome fighting choreography, but it was dull. Wayans was pretty bad in it also. I don't know if it was his fault, or if it was just the bad dialogue. The car chase scene was pretty enjoyable at least. Here's hoping that they go with a different director for the next one and hopefully Cobra Commander get his trademark mask and not whatever that hideous contraption he was wearing at the end of the movie.

I actually quite enjoyed it, I was totally expecting a grade A cluster-f**k of a movie like TF2: Electric Boogaloo...

Let's face it, It was a two hour toy commercial and in that regards it succeeded, I actually wanted to buy a Night Raven despite not having owned any Action Force toys since 1985 and Scarlett & The Baroness were exceptionally easy on the eye so theres that too.

GI Joe was cool. VERY cool. I don't know what people were expecting, but I got everything out of it I needed. It even set itself up for a second one, which could have deep ramifications! This felt like a first and second movie combined. there were introductions, but they were setting up for something BIG in #2.

I honestly have NO complaints. I can see where they could go with stuff, I see why they went with what they did in others. I don't know why people are ticked. Let me mention this about the accelerator suits: Snake Eyes is not wearing one and still does better than Duke and Ripcord. They get the snot beat out of them, and the suits just barely make them ninja-equal. They are in there for like 5 mins. Don't sweat it. It was cool.

I mean, look. No one gets peed on, no one poops parachutes. Duke doesn't rip SE's heart out and use his arms and legs to stop the bad guys. You can SEE everyone. And the acting is top notch. Really. It's amazing what good acting does to a movie. So it's already better than it's cousin. There was no sex, no potty humor. Some slap stick comedy relief was welcome by Mr. Waynes. He kept it in check nicely. There was some language, but not much. Maybe half a dozen words in 2 hours. And they're military guys. So that's not bad.

They played about 3 bars of the old sound track in one spot. GI Joe is an American unit, but they pull from all branches of the military all over the world. At least that's what I got. There were lots of little in jokes without being over the top. I'd really love to hear someone elses opinion that has never seen GI Joe and isn't a total moron

I liked it. Go see it. I have no doubt it will fail miserably when compared to it's block buster cousin Transformers, which is sad, because GI Joe is SO much better, and TFs sucked so badly, and I just don't know what's wrong with people.

So in short, the word you're looking for is "Awesome"!

I went to see it and was just hoping to be entertained which I was, more than I expected too. Over all it was better than I thought it would be. My only issue was Cobra Commander and his silly plastic tupperware mask (and yeah Snake Eyes mouth in his mask was stupid) But I thought the story was good, the action was awesome and overall it was entertaining and that was what I wanted. I was hoping at the end they would be like Ok lets meet some of the rest of the Joes and show us some other characters but oh well I guess if this does well enough they have great setup for a sequel.

Edited by gambitron

I went in with very low expectations and was rewarded with an enjoyable 2 hours.

Of course it was rediculously tacky, but my complaints were few:

-Destro's mask

-Cobra Commander's mask

-Scarlett ending up with Ripcord... WTF?

Anyways, if you want a GOOD movie, you can pass on this. If you're just looking to have some fun, go see it. It has a lot of it. ;)

Well...I liked it...I really liked it! I went with my brother, who grew up playing Gi Joe and Cobra with me having huge backyard battles. We had fun watching, and kept looking at eachother when certain things happened or were said, or when we noticed something that reminded us of the old days.

We also both thought SE mouth was too much...less pronounced would have been fine, like a hint of it under the mask...but it was full fake lips, lol. Also, both being former military members, duke's goatee has to go....unless that sort of thing is ok in today's military. And hey, if they are the only things I didn't like...thats a win for me...

bottom line, I had fun watching this, and actually laughed at ripcord sometimes