UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

To open or not to open

616commando

I bought a Punisher War Zone set for five bucks the other day. lol. It was one of those moments where you look around thinking it's some sort of practical joke. Anyway...

"thug" or Looney-Bin Jim's head has been switched with another Frank Castle Head. Not missing a head, just switched. Still has his beanie, but with Frank's head underneath. The tape looks original and intact, so I'm assuming factory mess up.

So my question is this: Save it, for later trades/or personal collections because this doesn't happen that often? OR Open the puppy up and be stoaked on three punisher heads in a box, because this sort of stuff happens all the time?

Have an opinion (on this matter)? I'd love to hear it.

Edited by 616commando

I'd trade it to someone who collects errors for another boxset, or maybe contact DST and they can replace it. Maybe if you hold onto it, it could be worth something someday. This sort of thing doesn't happen very often.

Edited by Dio

open it, shoot DST A line and ask if they can send you a LBJ head and all will be right in the world!

I dont think that with minimates the packing errors make the set worth anything as they are sealed with tape!

T.

I'd say your PWZ set is a fluke. Valuble "toy errors" usually occur when a number of products are released to the public before a toy company realizes said error and make a running change. Example: Back when Hasbro put out their Revenge of the Sith action figures, a Chancelor Palpatine figure was released with a blue lightsabre instead of a red one. Now from my understanding, less than a thousand units were released with the blue lightsabre before Hasbro caught on and made the correction. Those blue lightsabre Palpatines were fetching more money on ebay (at the time) and were deemed a collectible error. So unless DST's minimate factory did this to several PWZ sets I'd say you just have a fluke set. I say open your set and enjoy 'em.

Edited by MINI_MYTE

I'd say your PWZ set is a fluke. Valuble "toy errors" usually occur when a number of products are released to the public before a toy company realizes said error and make a running change. Example: Back when Hasbro put out their Revenge of the Sith action figures, a Chancelor Palpatine figure was released with a blue lightsabre instead of a red one. Now from my understanding, less than a thousand units were released with the blue lightsabre before Hasbro caught on and made the correction. Those blue lightsabre Palpatines were fetching more money on ebay (at the time) and were deemed a collectible error. So unless DST's minimate factory did this to several PWZ sets I'd say you just have a fluke set. I say open your set and enjoy 'em.

I found 2 unusual BSG packs, one with 2 Tighs and one with 2 Adamas. I chose to not open them because of some of the reasons stated above. Even if they turn out not to be worth anything, it's still a little bit of fun to show some of my collector buddies.

I can second Mini Myte's post. Personally, I don't get the interest over rare figures released prior to a "running change" (see the original Pimp Daddy Destro for an extreme case), but for whatever reason, most collectors (even those with extreme cases of OCD) don't care much about isolated packaging errors.

So, open 'em up! Do as TBT! suggests and contact DST about getting a replacement, and enjoy that great set!

Yeah, what they said. Packaging errors, for whatever reason, do not appeal to most collectors. I'm sure there are those few out there that do actively collect that stuff. I have a few minimate package errors and I like that stuff for the novelty, but people generally won't pay a premium for it. It's a mistake and thus considered "not mint." If you like the oddity factor, keep it sealed and display it as such. If not, open that sucker and try asking DST for a replacement, if you care.

As far as sealed two packs, that tape is very easy to take off of the cardboard boxes. It's very common, as we have been seeing lately, for people to do that, swap out a figure with a common, and tape up the box again. The workers at TRU don't have a clue about it, so it gets put back on the peg. Beware!!

I have a few packaging freaks in my collection from the first Marvel Waves but I don't consider them valuable just odd.

Even packaged oddities like this kubrick post-638-1249059801_thumb.jpg which I found recently failed to get anyone excited on the Jedidefenderforum (although I'm not sure what would :D ).

The point is with that particular figure is that it has two left legs ,the right leg should not have a 'pocket on it'.

So what? I hear you say .....but what nobody can explain to me is "How the f&*k can you attach another left leg to the right-side of a kubrick & not have the 'foot' pointing backwards" :ermm:

It is worthless I guess but definitely a novelty.

Edited by buttheadsmate