UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Bring Comic Covers/Scenes to Life! Minimate Style!!!

AdyCarter

I got my Batcave in the mail last night so I'll see what I can put together. Unlike the Batcave itself which was missing a handful of blocks. Grrr!

If you can get that thing put together, even with the missing blocks, I want to shake your hand. Hope you got a bottle of glue and some aspirin.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I still feel really dumb for posting this as my entry, especially considering that someone else already did it... but considering the amount of work I had already put into it, and the lack of free time I have to work on anything else, I'm going to stick with this:

XMenNewSM_jpg.jpg

XMenOriginalSM_jpg.jpg

As I said before, my entry is different enough from Kilgore's that I can somewhat justify the fact that it's a duplicate. And the fact that it required so many customs, I figured it would be a safe bet that nobody else would have used it (dumb donny), and that also would have justified using an X Men cover, despite all the negative thoughts about them *shrugs*

Oh well.

Anyway, everything in my entry was totally recreated, except for the Marvel Logo (which I basically copy-and-pasted, with some small tweeking)... the background is all sculpey, with some fun texturing techniques. All of the powers are done through photoshop, and a few touchups or minor additions to the characters were done via photoshop.

All in all, it was an insane amount of work that I never want to repeat ever again. :P

i dont know if this question has been asked yet, but what program is every one useing to make the backrounds and to cut the pictures ot. i dont have photoshop or illistrater, and the program i have sucks when it comes to blending colors and cutting pictures out. help would be appreheated.

I use Jasc Paint Shop Pro (now it's Corel, I think) or Adobe Photo Shop. If you do a search, you can get a free tiral download of either program from their websites... I would recommend Corel's program versus Adobe's for a beginner/novice... it's learning curve is generally easier, but it doesn't do as much. Plus, if you want to get the full (non-trial) version, Corel's program is cheaper. But, if you're thinking about doing serious stuff, go with Adobe. It's what professionals use, and it's the best tool for photo editing on the market.

There were a decent number of areas where I did indeed use Photoshop, but I tried to do as much of it with real life customs as I could (but Im not too good at it, and it takes so long). There are things in there that you can easily tell were done with my computer, but in the end, that's what worked out best for me, mainly because I just didnt have the time to do every detail by hand.

As for Kilgore, I can't say for sure. I do know that some of them were real customs (like Beast), but there are others that I wonder how he made them. Either by hand or by computer, I think he did a bang up job B)

As for Kilgore, I can't say for sure. I do know that some of them were real customs (like Beast), but there are others that I wonder how he made them.

Nope, every one of them a Photoshop manip. The only custom work was reassembling parts together for the right shapes/outfits/accessories. I don't have any spares I can customise up for real just yet so it was all photo trickery.

I had a spare New Wolverine but my girlfriend appropriated him and now wanders around the house saying "snikt! snikt!" all the time.

Donny I'm glad you went through with it, your work deserved to be seen, its simply astonishing (X-Men).

Interesting. I would have assumed that Beast was a full custom. it looks like you put a light coat of paint over it, or perhaps took a blue sharpie to it. I don't know - it has a very realistic look to it, not a look of having been treated with Photoshop. Hmmm. I need to learn that program better, I guess.

I would have assumed that Beast was a full custom.

I'm actually ashamed to admit that Beast was one of the figs I spent the least time on. Posed Thing, changed hue/saturation to the right shade of blue, smudged up the brickwork to look like fur and added a noise filter to hide the blurriness.

Or are minimate customs like sausages? (nobody needs to know how they're made)