UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Spectacular Spider-Man animated series

Webhead

Anyone else excited there are new episodes? I was worried with the move to Disney XD that it'd been cancelled. I've liked it so far and they did a good job putting together the Sinister Six.

The new episodes are on Disney XD? I don't have that channel :(

Yeah they switched sometime this summer. Disney XD is awesome cause they play back all the 90s marvel (x-men, spider-man, hulk, iron man, silver surfer, x-men evolution).

Yeah, unfortunately I just read that there won't be a 3rd season. Something that kind of bugs me on the Disney station is how episodes are just kind of randomly played. They seem to bounce between 1st and 2nd season and that's hard for someone who is playing catch up. I might be picking up the 1st season dvd of this and Batman: Brave & The Bold when they hit stores because of it.

Damnit! another good series going away. Sigh. I will continue to wish for the day Spider-Man TAS from the 90s comes out on dvd. I LOVED that show.

they're showing the 2nd series for the first time in the US right now, aren't they? Great cartoon, a lot of fun, like the animation style a lot.

oh... and the 90s cartoon is coming out on DVD v.soon, i've heard

*checks*

in fact, the first series is already out in the UK, and 2 and 3 available from August

Damnit! another good series going away. Sigh. I will continue to wish for the day Spider-Man TAS from the 90s comes out on dvd. I LOVED that show.

True that! Was waiting for this show till i got tired of waiting and forgot...lol The show/networks always let me down when they cancel. :confused: TAS would be awesome! Almost done re-watching the 67 series.

they're showing the 2nd series for the first time in the US right now, aren't they? Great cartoon, a lot of fun, like the animation style a lot.

oh... and the 90s cartoon is coming out on DVD v.soon, i've heard

*checks*

in fact, the first series is already out in the UK, and 2 and 3 available from August

OMG my heart just stopped! Spidey TAS coming to DVD?!?!?! My prayers have been answered!

I'm really sad they are gonna cancel Spec Spidey. I thought the animation really was pretty good. The action sequences were spectacular (no pun intended). The storylines were pretty good too. I am hoping they resolve the Venom story befoer this season ends.

Edited by Webhead

Yeah, unfortunately I just read that there won't be a 3rd season. Something that kind of bugs me on the Disney station is how episodes are just kind of randomly played. They seem to bounce between 1st and 2nd season and that's hard for someone who is playing catch up.

The new episodes air first on Monday nights, at 7:30 PM Eastern Time. After that, yeah it's really, really random.

From what little digging I have been able to do, Spectacular was doomed not by bad ratings, but poor toy sales. (or rather poor, off model toys) And since the shows are essentially 30 min toy comercials... Coupled with Marvel's growing partnership with Niktoons and there really was little hope for another season.

Shame too, this second season has been mostly really strong. (Okay, the Kraven "update" annoys the fudge outtah me, but aside from that...)

See, now I liked what they did with Kraven. Yes, it was basically Scorpion-Kraven amalgam origin, but it was interesting how they made that work.

No season 3? Damn, I was really enjoying this show.

From what little digging I have been able to do, Spectacular was doomed not by bad ratings, but poor toy sales. (or rather poor, off model toys) And since the shows are essentially 30 min toy comercials... Coupled with Marvel's growing partnership with Niktoons and there really was little hope for another season.

Shame too, this second season has been mostly really strong. (Okay, the Kraven "update" annoys the fudge outtah me, but aside from that...)

What a crying shame. :( Seems there really is little respect for the comics-inspired animated series out there. I still get kinda depressed whenever I think about how Batman Beyond and Justice League Unlimited ended, and then I find out that the recent Legion of Superheroes cartoon was unceremoniously ended as well (and on the cusp of a sequel hook, no less :angry:)

All these series had so much potential. If only TV networks would look past the cartoons' function as glorified toy commercials and instead see them as a creative means to introduce kids to a history-laden expanded universe... but what can you do? Sigh.

What a crying shame. :( Seems there really is little respect for the comics-inspired animated series out there. I still get kinda depressed whenever I think about how Batman Beyond and Justice League Unlimited ended, and then I find out that the recent Legion of Superheroes cartoon was unceremoniously ended as well (and on the cusp of a sequel hook, no less :angry:)

All these series had so much potential. If only TV networks would look past the cartoons' function as glorified toy commercials and instead see them as a creative means to introduce kids to a history-laden expanded universe... but what can you do? Sigh.

It's more of a shift than a lack of respect. DC has Brave and the Bold and it's doing very well. Marvel is very happy with their current X-Men and Iron Man cartoons on Niktoons, and have annouced plans for a Fantastic Four and a Avengers cartoon on that network. And then there's the upcoming Super-Hero squad cartoon. So there are actually a large number of shows being made right now. But they are all geared more toward younger audiences.

For both Marvel and DC, they have moved their more serious, adult aimed stories to the DVD movie market. Sucess has been wildly variable, early Marvel stuff is outright painful, but freed from TV censors, the DC line has flurished. I'd really love to see an actual JLU sequel movie, or maybe somthing set in the Batman: Beyond time period, set after 'Epilogue', but Timm and co have pretty thuroughly moved on.

On Spectacular, there was another complication I failed to mention... the network that Marvel had originally developed SSM for, the "Kid's CW", shut down and sold all of it's properties to the 4KidzTV syndicated "network". Marvel had already begun production of SSM's 2nd season when CW shut down it's Saturday morning animation, in a move that caught everyne by surprise. So combined with the lukewarm toy sales, Marvel lost all enthusiasm keeping the show. But then again, it's Spider-Man, probably THE most kid friendly hero Marvel has. I doubt he'll be gone from the air very long.

I know Greg Wiseman. (Not personally) and I know that he puts his heart and soul into these shows. And he doesn't talk down to kids. he makes a good show, and expects kids to follow, as they do. He gets what most others don't. Kids are smart. And he makes things educational. Just wait for the Shakespeare episode.

I'm just saddened that that show is canceled. I know that bugger would drag us along, teasing us with Gwen, and he'd end up killing her at the most unexpected moment.

Why does everything I love leave me? I liked this series, and now its gone. I've been recording every episode on my DVR.

So, Spectacular Spider-Man and Spider-Man: TAS are coming to DVD? Are we talking entire seasons, or that 2-3 episodes to a disc crap?

While I appreciate your interest in dispelling any "nattering" on my end :D , I believe the only official release of that series was for the UK and Europe (Region 2 DVDs), whereas anything that would play on my DVD player is, in all likelihood, a bootleg.

It just seems strange to me that with all the obscure crap released on DVD,* this wasn't released, despite the abundance of people of my age who are now having kids, and would surely buy it up for them (and themselves) to watch. But. . .maybe it's better this way. I'm sure that show will seem pretty bad if I tried to watch it again. But whatever the case, I would appreciate the opportunity to find out one way or the other.

*note: I have bought both of these DVDs :D

I got a PS3 for Christmas and now play my DVDs mostly there. Since you mention it, I haven't a clue if I can play DVDs from other regions or not. My old DVD player would not.

Edited by karamazov80

I got a PS3 for Christmas and now play my DVDs mostly there. Since you mention it, I haven't a clue if I can play DVDs from other regions or not. My old DVD player would not.

That's a good question. I know you can pick the region when playing DVDs on a PS2, so I assume that would work for a PS3. If that's the case, that'll probably be my only way to see SM: TAS, since those DVDs are region 2 also.

It is not illegal to tweak most single region players to multi-region & pretty simple to do without even entering the guts of the machine. I shan't elaborate here because there is plenty of info on the internet. It's probably not as necessary for you guys in the US because your DVDs aren't as expensive as ours here & you generally don't have to wait for months for stuff to be released.

Edited by buttheadsmate

It is not illegal to tweak most single region players to multi-region & pretty simple to do without even entering the guts of the machine. I shan't elaborate here because there is plenty of info on the internet. It's probably not as necessary for you guys in the US because your DVDs aren't as expensive as ours here & you generally don't have to wait for months for stuff to be released.

You UK guys seem to be able to skirt around some of the licensing issues though, hence all the animated Marvel DVDs that we don't have access to.

Of course, we got Minimates in the divorce, so maybe us US folk don't have it so bad. :lol: