UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Battle Beasts Minimates

I suppose I'm surprised that TRU is interested in Wolverine movie mates, but not these. Like hellpop said, these are pretty much a custom fit for TRU and I'd love to know their reasoning behind not getting a second series.

I'd be sad, but I suppose if the line only goes as far as two waves that I'd be happy with what we get. I just hope people order the crap out of wave two so that it gets released.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TRU didn't want Thor 2 mates either so I hope it's not a trend. IMO I found Thor 2 mates way cooler looking the the Wolverine ones. On topic I think that wave three of BB is planned so there's a reason for optimism :)

I'm not sure if wave 3 is planned necessarily so much as DST has designs for more beasts than slots for LCS wave 2. ;)

Gah, I didn't see the move and was worried something happened to this thread. I am sure they are waiting on seeing what type of orders they get for series 2 before committing to a series 3, but they definitely have more designs in the works that I am sure they are just going to carry over to series 3.

There was a really great looking giraffe that we got to see the artwork for at C2E2 that I loved that seems to be pushed back. At least he's not part of series 2, so hopefully his design will be used for series 3. Since there was a neat theme to series 1 of desert animals with the rattlesnake, tarantula and scorpion, maybe they will do an Africa/Savannah theme with series 3 and have a giraffe and perhaps some type of lion and elephant or rhino. Simply just wishful thinking.

TRU didn't want Thor 2 mates either so I hope it's not a trend. IMO I found Thor 2 mates way cooler looking the the Wolverine ones. On topic I think that wave three of BB is planned so there's a reason for optimism smile.png

I missed this bit of news - when was this?

Is there anyone out there that still needs the Battle Beasts Ashcan comic that was released way back? My friend picked up a bunch of minimates for me at SDCC and got me three extra copies of the Aschan.

I'm willing to let them go for shipping cost or for a trade for any minimate you might be willing to part with.

Let me know if interested. first come first served.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

I have been wondering something about Battle Beasts Minimates.

How come the Alligators all look very Sci-Fi in their gear and armor while all the other Beasts look more medevil.

I guess, I am thinking the Alligators look like the Borg from Star Trek got to them and assimilatated them yet they are Battle Beasts like Vorin and Merk, or Gruntos and Strictus.

I have not seen anyone post this question before nor have I seen any reason the Alligators appear more technologically advanced over the other Beasts in that universe.

Curiousity finally got me so I had to ask.

youbastards,

Thank you for the insight. I liked Battle Beasts back from a long time ago and they were sci-fi armored so that is why I figured the Alligators were done that way.

I do like the concept for the more Medevil themed gear. Looks more like I always thought they should have back in the day.

I am looking forward to the next wave of beasts. I really would like Anubis as well as the bull and leopard/cheetah.

For me, the armor is still sci fi a bit too. The comic shows several spots on their armor that has glowing lights and what not. It's just now a bit of a sci fi/medieval fusion than the straight up sci fi that the gator was. Honestly, I could go either way. Because the original Battle Beasts had axes, swords, and other melee weapons, I have always imagined a bit of a sci fi/fantasy fusion to them anyways.

As for the change, I think originally with the gator, they were trying to reference the original Battle Beasts 80s toy line. The armor was patterned very similar, and a lot of the little detail lines were very reminiscent, especially on the legs. Those shin armor/feet slip on pieces look like they could come straight off of an original battle beast.

But then I think they decided they wanted to do their own thing with the name, more so than being a throwback to the original line. And once they had an artist for the comic book, that inspired them to go towards a new look. While the gator is still my favorite battle beast minimate, overall, I like the direction they took. There's a lot of detail that they can do with this style, in a little bit more of a realistic manner. And since minimates are a narrower in proportions compared to the more squat original BBs, I think the new style fits the minimate body a bit better.

• 1 month later...

I always assumed it was an extra little something to give the figures an extra 'pop' ... but the ease of which is wipes off is a bit of a head scratcher. I imagine it adds to the production cost, which makes me wonder why it wasn't applied directly to the plastic and/or paint? or perhaps Prowlar is right and it's an unintentional mold residue... *shrug*

Not sure why I haven't had full use of the formatting toolbar for the past few weeks (browser maybe?) but I have never wanted a full selection of emoticons more in my life.

I don't have the full formatting bar if I'm using an Apple product. My guess is it's an issue with Flash.

Not sure why I haven't had full use of the formatting toolbar for the past few weeks (browser maybe?) but I have never wanted a full selection of emoticons more in my life.

coffin.jpg

No Shark?

coffin.jpg

Has there been official word on BB?

Sorry, apparently my post irked Zach. smile.png

I have no knowledge of the future of Battle Beasts other than Series 2 was shown at SDCC and since then, several things have happened. We have learned that TRU passed on supporting the line. Also, most a lot of online stores and LCS retailers have started clearing out Series 1 at really deep discounts. That doesn't show much faith in the continuation of the line at the only place that is currently being marketed to carry the line, the specialty shop.

Past experience with DST's in house brands (MAX, Calico Jack) is that if they under perform or TRU drops the line, they go into hibernation mode. That MAY not be the case with Battle Beasts, and I would love for Zach to prove me wrong by posting some updated info about the future of the brand. yes.gif

Also Zach, just to cover my tracks, I already submitted an Ask DST question regarding Battle Beasts. ;)

Edited by youbastards