UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Battle Beasts Minimates

I'm not sure the artist has actually seen a cow (or bull) before. I would have thought that was some kind of cat man if I didn't know it was supposed to be a bovine.

Huh, I see nothing cat like there. The hooves, tail, and head are all bovine in shape. Admittedly he isn't a cow and I wouldn't exactly call him a bull either, not getting into the whole concept of how Battle Beast culture might work, from his build I'd say he looks more like a steer.

Prowlar touched on it (and, sadly, Farm Kid wasn't spot on), but let's make this perfectly clear: that is no cow. He's either a bull or *shudder* a steer. Cows are female

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that's my fault, then, because I didn't even know what a steer was until I just looked it up.

I feel like most non-farmers refer to cattle as "cows" generally, although they know that bulls are male cows. But if calling this guy a "cow" on the packaging is going to alienate the target rancher market, then I will make sure we call it something else. "Bull" is probably the best I can do. Most people don't refer to them as steers, or heifers, or anything like that.

I'm not sure the artist has actually seen a cow (or bull) before. I would have thought that was some kind of cat man if I didn't know it was supposed to be a bovine.

Huh, I see nothing cat like there. The hooves, tail, and head are all bovine in shape. Admittedly he isn't a cow and I wouldn't exactly call him a bull either, not getting into the whole concept of how Battle Beast culture might work, from his build I'd say he looks more like a steer.

I couldn't even pick out the horns and hooves at first glance, but I suppose the artist did suggest them a little. The snout is all wrong though and throws off the look for me. Seems to me it should look a lot more like the Four Horsemen's Xetheus, or the Mynothecean Royal Guardsman in particular, but I might just be overly picky with my anthropomorphic cattle.

I can understand where you're coming from since I'm the same way with anthro-cats or any big cats for that matter. If the cheetah ever gets repainted as any other feline species minimate heads will roll.

Wow, I really didn't mean to steer this so far off course. Let me just say that of all the beasts in the first issue the Cheetah and the Cow/Bull/Steer are in my top five most wanted.

They all go MOOOOOO. Just call the cow/steer/bull a MooMoo. That would appeal to the target audience of kids and eliminate the confusion of a bull without large horns. :D

Farm kid hat going on:

Holsteins are the black and white cows, famous for appearing in movies like "Top Secret" and having their look stolen by Gateway computers. They are raised around the world, and are the leading dairy producing animals today. Due to the lack of teats on the cow in the above picture, we can safely assume he is "udderly" male.

Holsteins also come in red and white spotted varieties - a possible idea for future repaint.

Slap that description on the box and you can sell them as educational toysgeek.gif

Merk/Fenruk Review - some extra pics below

Gruntos/Scalpus Review

So yes, I screwed up with the weapons for Merk & Fenruk but at least I wasn't the only one whistling.gif

post-28-0-08881200-1367430815_thumb.jpg

post-28-0-90647700-1367430819_thumb.jpg

post-28-0-96571000-1367430824_thumb.jpg

post-28-0-90280800-1367430832_thumb.jpg

Spurred on by seeing the designs for Battle Beasts Wave 2, I finally got around to buying some sets from that seller on eBay that is selling Battle Beasts for crazy low prices.

5 sets of Vorin/Vachonus = $4.95
5 sets of Merk/Fenruk = $4.95
3 Complete sets of Wave 1 LCS = $35.85
Shipping = $13.97
Total = $59.72

With the shipping cost, that breaks down to $2.71 a pack!!!
A full Custom Case, and 10 additional 2-packs for $60 shipped!!!

Seriously, if you guys haven't taken advantage of this deal yet, even just for custom fodder, you really should. Deals like this don't come around too often.

Link to eBay Seller's page.

Edited by youbastards

I had been ignoring battle beasts all together, but then Luke blindsided me by including issue #1 with my recent mavel and walking dead minimates order. After reading the comic and checking this thread out, its safe to say I'm hooked. Now I need to play catch up. I just bought the full TRU set off ebay, since my local stores don't have them any more. I picked up the SDCC and a couple other sets from amazon, and I'll get the rest from Luke when he gets in the Iron man 3 mates. I really want to order the TPB from amazon as well, but I haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.

I feel the same, I picked up the Gruntos & Scalpus set hoping to make an easy Bushmaster custom, but I've really fallen for the design, so now I've got to buy another set to use as custom material. When I get the money I want to pick up TRU wave 1.