UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Battle Beasts Minimates

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was lucky enough to go to the recent Amsterdam Battle Beast Convention where I interviewed the Dutch 'Littlerubberguys' representative . I'm unfortunately described as the 'Dutch TV presenter' (I'm the guy on the left in the brown jacket & tie) :rolleyes: ....which in some respects is a compliment to me.... as I'm fluent in Dutch .....anyway for those of you who don't speak Dutch ,I just asked the guy "how much was an original Battle Beast Stone Cobra worth ?"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item257325ddab&item=160845651371&nma=true&pt=US_Action_Figures&rt=nc&si=NuTba4EFzmlJP3wnd5nU5NIjXWU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

:unsure:

Edited by buttheadsmate

Hey, b00st, nice setup. Megabloks sets?

yep they seem to work perfect, and the pegs help keep vorin upright :P

I was using the dragon bloks but now the wow sets are coming out they are pretty temping in themselves!

IMG_20120803_143156.jpg

Edited by b00sted

Kinda late to the game, but I just got my BB minis from LTS. Vorin is good. A little hard to keep standing, but a cool figure. I am disappointed in Zick. The piece that the wings attach to are very poorly cast on one side and the wings refuse to stay on. I already felt the design was lacking but the poorly made part does not help sway my impressions.

I'm on that same boat Shane, I got mine form Luke's too (fast shipping btw, def buying from him again) but what threw me off was, as you mention Zik's wings. They're really floppy and can't hold a pose. That and Vorin's knees weren't attached properly. As far as the design goes his armor does get in the way, the left ar is basically useless since he can't lift anything due to the cloth and the shoulder armor seems a bit obtrusive.

Other than that the sculpting is really great and the new parts are a hit. I'm gonna give it another try once they hit retail but I'm on the fence on this new line.

What I did, that works perfectly, is I took the wings off. Applied a small layer or superglue all around the peg evenly, and let it dry completely. Then I snapped the wings back on, and now they are nice and stiff, but still smooth enough to move. His wings pose really nicely. This technique works really well for just about every figure joint that has once piece popping on/off of another. Loose arms or heads also get this treatment. My Vorin's head was pretty loose, and just a bit of super glue on the head peg, and now the head is perfect.

I think my problem with Zik is the color scheme. I really want to like him (I've got three so far), but he just looks like a badly assembled custom. I don't normally criticize DST designs, but this one just doesn't do it for me. I'm glad the rest of the line looks much, much better.

Groundhog, I could not agree more. I was thinking it, but didn't want to post it. The minds behind minimate designs and engineering have done amazing things with a (in general) 2" platform. I am often blown away by how adding a simple bit here or there makes all the difference. However, I am not a fan of Zik in his current design or color scheme. I've said it before...he seems like a panicked rush, thrown together at the last minute.

Note to Zach: this is just my opinion and I fully expect a miss here and there. The track record the designers have is quite exemplary.

Groundhog, I could not agree more. I was thinking it, but didn't want to post it. The minds behind minimate designs and engineering have done amazing things with a (in general) 2" platform. I am often blown away by how adding a simple bit here or there makes all the difference. However, I am not a fan of Zik in his current design or color scheme. I've said it before...he seems like a panicked rush, thrown together at the last minute.

Note to Zach: this is just my opinion and I fully expect a miss here and there. The track record the designers have is quite exemplary.

If I haven't stated outright that Zik was a last-minute addition, I thought I had -- he was. Not a panicked rush, but a late-in-the-game solution to a problem. None of the other Beasts were going to be ready, just Vorin. Perhaps we should have done a solo Vorin figure, but the two-pack format is part of the line's appeal. I thought it was a suitable placeholder figure while the others were being developed. Perhaps... I was wrong?

I certainly am disappointed to hear about the wing pegs -- I thought that was an old, tried-and-true piece, but I guess not? I take comfort in the fact that you all know how to fix such things -- I feel bad for the kids who got it, and lament the loss of the parents who now think we make shoddy product. ALTHOUGH, to be honest, I have not seen a single customer service complaint about it that I can recall.

This will be Zik's only appearance. After this, Zik is in the wind, figuratively speaking. Legend will tell of a Battle Beast who was more Minimate than dragonfly, and when the line reaches its 50th wave, perhaps we will have a fan poll in which people can choose which early Beast they want to see remade using the new "living plastic" technology, and Zik may well be that Beast. At that point, we will use the comic book art (concept below) and do him properly. But until then, you'll have to find things to love about this Zik. I know I have.

ziklizard.jpg

you should hear me swear like a sailor when zik's wings fall off. I still have yet to "fix" mine after seeing the image above I kinda wish I would of saw him like that lol

I want to swap the wings out on the one with two sets of wasp wings so still need to hit up the bay to buy two figs to gut for just wings lol.

Also what is going on with the stealth vorins bro :(

I was afraid you were going to take the Zik talk to heart Zach. Personally, I am glad you kept the 2-pack format with these guys because kids like to get a "good guy" and a "bad guy" to develop play. I had thought I just got a bad Zik. I am fairly lucky with missing or bad parts in my minimate sets. I can only think of about three times I have had issues, so I assumed this was just one of those times. Strangely enough, I occassionally get emails from parents or recent minimate recipients asking what to do about missing or broken parts. So far, nothing about Zik.

I don't want Zik to disappear, I just think he could be better. Even the colors are not very flattering. If he is part dragonfly, the color guys got it all wrong. My neck of the woods is silly with dragonflies the size of your hand and I have yet to see a red one. Again, this is just friendly constructive criticism from fans.

I agree with Shanester too. I actually hesitated saying something negative about Zik beause I knew it would be taken hard (but I said it anyways because I seem to be a Jerkface like Shane also). I do appreciate the effort, but as much as I love Minimates I'm not going to blindly accept everything given me. I spend enough time on another company's board where no one dares tell the emporer he's not wearing any clothes. It's quite disgusting that no one can be objective or critical. I rarely disagree with the look of Minimates and I understand the thought process behind him, but I just hope he's the rarity of the line (which I'm sure he is).

This will be Zik's only appearance. After this, Zik is in the wind, figuratively speaking. Legend will tell of a Battle Beast who was more Minimate than dragonfly, and when the line reaches its 50th wave, perhaps we will have a fan poll in which people can choose which early Beast they want to see remade using the new "living plastic" technology, and Zik may well be that Beast. At that point, we will use the comic book art (concept below) and do him properly. But until then, you'll have to find things to love about this Zik. I know I have.

ziklizard.jpg

After reading this, several questions just sprouted up, like just how big will Zik be in the Battle Beast comic. I'm going to gujess he will become the main antagonist, making this lone minimate until the 50th wave very ironic. Also, will getting the Samurai Lizard go the easy way (showing up in wave 3) or the hard way (a lengthy campaign here on MMMV ala Kang lead by b00sted where Samurai Lizard shows up in a box set around wave 44)?

Now Zach, how far are you guys on the living plastic technology? I mean if we go by the Marvel minimate waves, that means we are only ten years away, but if we're talking about the Battle Beasts license and its wave 50, we may have to give a little more leeway (say 20-25 years away). Can we also confirm from this that minimates will be even more stylized by that point, not having any block figure pieces?

(Sorry Zach, I just had to indulge in some rampant speculation and lite ribbing)

Zach, do you have an update on the LCS Stealth Vorin offering? I think we've been waiting on news (good or bad) for over a month.

I still have not even read #1 as I have a lot waiting to be shipped by Luke once the exclusives arrive.

I too would really like to know whats going on with this :/

In all seriousness where the hell is the stealth vorins.. it is going on a month backlog now. anyway now that I ranted wanted to show off my latest commissioned custom and soon Fujis' Rodrick Robin will be joining my army!

Again amazing work by the talented PlasticPlayhouse over on LRG

004-9.jpg

002-5.jpg

003-5.jpg

and just incase you could not tell who it was based off of..

026a.jpg

That blue vorin is just great ! To bad I dont even have a vorin to start with... I still like my red gator though :P