UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Battle Beasts Minimates

Yeah, the offer is generous, YB, but even 100 wouldn't be enough for you guys. And you'd get a flood of people joining the forums to get the free one, creating multiple fake accounts, edging out the old guard, double dipping at the show AND on the MMV... It would be madness.

Also, we give them out at shows (and the exceedingly rare party) to increase interest in the line. We'll make sure attending Multiversers are taken care of as best we can, but we make these unpainted, monochromatic variants so it's NOT a crucial item for collectors. If they cause this much bad blood, and we have to add a couple hundred (or more) onto the production run just to keep existing collectors happy, then we might just not do them, and we lose a cool promotional device.

I think 100 is a fair approximate number of regularly active POSTING members, if someone doesn't get one through the forum, at least the opportunity was there, no different than being the person in line at a con just after the last promo was handed out, right?

I wish you would at least consider it as an option, maybe try it once and see how it goes. I think we would obviously set some ground rules for participating, the easiest would be to only allow members in good standing with pre-existing positive trade feedback. We would be able to police accounts pretty easily. As for other boards being upset....I'm not concerned about other boards.

Let us worry about the distribution, and I promise you we will make it work in a way that is fair for all active members.

EXCEPT:

To suggest "Why not produce 100 extra?" is to suggest that we are somehow 'entitled' to them. We are not.

I guess what I'm saying is simply watch out for the "You owe us because we're your biggest fans" mentality.

The only thing I feel I am obligated or entitled to is a fair chance to collect a toy line I have supported for 10 years.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Agent 88 is on eBay...so I expect a Gold Vorin sometime soon, may he with the deepest pockets win. :)

I like Zach, I like DST, I like bhm, I like yb, I like boosted, tm, everyone...I think we should just take these. * hands out chill pills *

As I've acted like a spaz the past few days ....and I still have no Vorin. Haha.

Just saying I've learnt my lesson.

Feel the MM love !

dont know why theres such an uproar over the gold Vorin....but anyway, i just want to thank Zach and all the DST staff for putting together a great booth and having some great stuff for both purchase and giveaways, i had a wonderful time :D

just wish i could have gotten to meet Zach, though i do hope you got the card i drew for you :P

In reality the Gold Vorin isn't that important to me now ,like I said a few days ago I've managed to get everything else why should this be any different ? Sadly it is how I heard about it that initially infuriated me .

I'm on record as saying that Zach has been like a breath of fresh air on here, he is ,his love of the line & knowledge of the toy industry is pretty obvious for all to see . That said, I'm personally not happy with the way he handled this ,I said as much & I'm moving on.

1342409288[/url]' post='237130']
1342402362[/url]' post='237108']

Yeah, the offer is generous, YB, but even 100 wouldn't be enough for you guys. And you'd get a flood of people joining the forums to get the free one, creating multiple fake accounts, edging out the old guard, double dipping at the show AND on the MMV... It would be madness.

Also, we give them out at shows (and the exceedingly rare party) to increase interest in the line. We'll make sure attending Multiversers are taken care of as best we can, but we make these unpainted, monochromatic variants so it's NOT a crucial item for collectors. If they cause this much bad blood, and we have to add a couple hundred (or more) onto the production run just to keep existing collectors happy, then we might just not do them, and we lose a cool promotional device.

I think 100 is a fair approximate number of regularly active POSTING members, if someone doesn't get one through the forum, at least the opportunity was there, no different than being the person in line at a con just after the last promo was handed out, right?

I wish you would at least consider it as an option, maybe try it once and see how it goes. I think we would obviously set some ground rules for participating, the easiest would be to only allow members in good standing with pre-existing positive trade feedback. We would be able to police accounts pretty easily. As for other boards being upset....I'm not concerned about other boards.

Let us worry about the distribution, and I promise you we will make it work in a way that is fair for all active members.

1342402384[/url]' post='237111']

EXCEPT:

To suggest "Why not produce 100 extra?" is to suggest that we are somehow 'entitled' to them. We are not.

I guess what I'm saying is simply watch out for the "You owe us because we're your biggest fans" mentality.

The only thing I feel I am obligated or entitled to is a fair chance to collect a toy line I have supported for 10 years.

The only true, fair, impartial way to decide is to have everyone interested put their name in a drawing. Any other way, and people will claim favoritism, because that's what it will look like. Not everyone posts a lot, not everyone trades, not everyone is online 24/7. A drawing would be the only fair way.

I agree. I read a lot but don't post unless I have something to share or am impressed by something.

I understand frustration but some of the guys commenting here are coming off as rude and entitled which is what turns me off from the community aspect of toy collecting.

I hope to see everyone get what they really want but please be curteous to others. VIP people get stuff that they don't need all the time. Comic-Con is rife with parties that give away gift bags full of items that real fans would pay for with no question.

The Sopranos had an episode that revolved around this.

i just know i will never sleep again until i find the damn thing :(

Then, to be quite frank, you need to chill out.

haha if only my OCD would let me.. it will legitimately eat away at me until I find the lil bastard.

just wish i could have gotten to meet Zach, though i do hope you got the card i drew for you :P

That was from you? Awesome. I need to show it off here, and a T-shirt I got in the SDCC thread.

The only true, fair, impartial way to decide is to have everyone interested put their name in a drawing. Any other way, and people will claim favoritism, because that's what it will look like. Not everyone posts a lot, not everyone trades, not everyone is online 24/7. A drawing would be the only fair way.

I believe the board now has a few to give away, we shall see how said board decides to distribute said Vorins. It's not 100, but it's something. I would keep an eye on the contest thread.

In reality the Gold Vorin isn't that important to me now ,like I said a few days ago I've managed to get everything else why should this be any different ? Sadly it is how I heard about it that initially infuriated me .

I'm on record as saying that Zach has been like a breath of fresh air on here, he is ,his love of the line & knowledge of the toy industry is pretty obvious for all to see . That said, I'm personally not happy with the way he handled this ,I said as much & I'm moving on.

I had a long reply that I lost, but the gist of it was that I respect BHM's dedication and investment, and if he ever couldn't get something I would gladly try to get it for him. But accusations of fake edition sizes and intentionally overlooking the fans are just not true. That said, if I'd known painting a Minimate gold in an attempt to make Battle Beasts into a more viable brand was going to make people angry, I wouldn't have done it. Hopefully more Vorins turn up online.

Just think what would have happened if you'd given out a plaid Vorin. That just gave me chills thinking about it.

Thanks for the interaction on the whole subject Zach. Regardless of what anyone thinks of the situation (which I'm not sure I really get), you've proven how unique you are in how you've handled everything head-on. People might disagree with how things turned out, but no one should question your professionalism or how you balance your loyalty to your job and the fans. You just don't find that with other companies any more. Thanks once again.

Edited by groundhog7s

Zach, you handling things the way you do is the reason I am still around tbh.. I was about to jump ship when I saw Zik as I am not a minimate guy but more of a battle beast guy but you actually being active and put it blunt giving a shit reassured me quite a bit. My completest attitude may get teh best of me with this damn gold vorin but I will just pray the contest here I either win or can buy off whoever does LOL.

On a different note I just commissioned a custom Vorin and caint wait to get it sent out to him so I can get it back and show you guys the awesome. :)

Just think what would have happened if you'd given out a plaid Vorin. That just gave me chills thinking about it.

GAH! Now I'm going to have to buy a spare Vorin just to paint his cape plaid for Scottish version, thanks a lot! :D

I am hoping to eventually track down a gold Vorin, but at the same time, I'm not getting too frustrated about the whole situation. There's actually something very fun about rare figures like this. Part of collecting is the hunt. Certainly I don't want to have to hunt for the entire line, but for the occasional piece, there is an exciting element when you finally attain a "holy grail" for your collection. The reason you feel so great about that is the journey to get the item. I'm a collector, not just a buyer. That search for the item is half the fun.

I have been collecting Battle Beasts for 26 years now since they first came out. And the original line has some crazy rare pieces. Some of them can even cost you a thousand dollars or more to get. There's some of the drills, Stone Cobra, Striped Carp, Clear Carp, Clear Gator, Sunburst Lion, etc... (And then if you count Canadian bootlegs, Greeks, Russians, customs, etc..., you have even more to worry about!) I don't have a stone cobra in my collection. I probably never will. I'd love to have him one day if I was able to get it for a price that I could afford, but at the same time, if I don't, it's not like I feel any less about my collection. Of that list, I only have one of those super rares currently in my collection, a Sunburst Lion. And when I got him a few years ago, I was absolutely ecstatic.

I see this gold vorin the same way. It's a fun, rare piece that will be a challenge to try and find. But at the same time, I'm not going to feel like my collection has a giant, glaring hole in it with out him. I'll just do what I can, and enjoy him that much more if I ever do get him.

Zach, I think you handle yourself and your representation of DST very well both here and at the LRG forums.

Now, back on the topic of Battle Beasts, what did you guys think of the two new Battle Beasts shown at the DST panel? I am only looking through pictures, but I love the look of the Bat and the Moose. That moose may be my favorite beast yet! With the horn, axe and his armor style, I get a very viking styled vibe from him. And vikings have always been one of my favorite warrior groups. His arms maybe look a tad short in the art, but that

s really hard for me to tell when I am not looking at an actual figure.

And who here has already gotten their Vorin and Zik two pack? What do you guys think? I am really interested to have a fully painted Vorin in hand. Excited to get mine within the coming weeks from Luke.

someone asked for a pic of this?

564156_460116244007806_109989926_n.jpg

Hahaha. That art is fantastic! Makes me like Zik even more. I have to say, at first I wasn't too impressed by him, but the more I see him and hear other people's thoughts on him, the more personality he seems to have. Now, I have to say i am really excited to get him.