UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Battle Beasts Minimates

After seeing pics from the slide show, I realize I may very well have to buy both the specialty and TRU waves rather than just the TRU waves as I planned :)

Good job on making both versions of the creatures look like must haves!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old-timers know what's what, and completists can't expect to have every item handed to them. Being a completist is hard work, and not for the easily frustrated.

As the oldest old-timer here & a completist I can't ignore that extremely patronising remark . I've only been handed promos when I've attended SDCC & for the record I started this shitting thread before you even arrived here so don't start preaching to me about frustration & hard work ......leave that crap for the 'influential people in the entertainment industry' .

Dude, I think that was more directed at the newer-ish guys who haven't been through San Diego before, not you (us?). And lets face it, we do this every year. People beg for freebies. That what they do. Or they whine about not having stuff. I'm not saying that's the wrong thing to do, I've done my share of groveling and whining. This year it just seems especially... loud. If anything I think Zach was affirming what you and others have said in this very thread. Patience. Ebay is your friend. Chill. Ect.

To be upset that a promo hasn't showed up yet on ebay when the Con is still going on is a little excessive.

Sounds like Gold isn't as rare as we first thought.

So Blame Zach for the (not?) rare gold, but blame Digger for Agent 88?

I will check my archives when I get home.

BHM, you were the last person I intended to be condescending to. I have great respect for anyone who has been with the line as long as you have. I only meant that experienced Minimate collectors such as yourself know that the occasional rare figure happens (these are not the first, nor the rarest), and that the initial high prices and low availability often level out.

I apologize if I sometimes forget my newcomer status to this board. I've been covering DST and Art Asylum since they started up, was there for the launch and fought to get Minimates their first magazine cover, so I feel an affinity for the brand that goes back much farther than my employment at DST.

With no printed details on the gold vorin, it can easily be had for the price of a regular vorin and a can of Krylon gold paint. :) Honestly, that one really holds no interest for me, but I really hope to score a clear blue one sometime.

Edited by MrClean

Hey Zach, I didn't like my last post after I thought about it, but I was being pressured out the door by a wife with a grocery list in her hand...

I said I didn't like how the gold Vorin was handled and I want to clear up what I mean. There have been things said that have a few of us feeling like some minimates are made to be unattainable by fans. I know you are a fan and not involved in this line of thinking. It is true that none of us should feel entitled and think we can collect every one of these things without hurdles. My point was that I don't like the idea that "I made this and you aren't going to get one unless..." or something like that. I am amused that you called the people at the Agent 88 party influential. I am guessing that they blog, discuss, argue, trade, promote and buy nearly every minimate product, unlike us. Ok, maybe that isn't fair, but do you see why it might piss us off a bit?

I think part of the fun is the strugle to get that grail, but don't torture us.

It wouldn't be nearly as bad if people weren't listing the promos on eBay within minutes of the show opening. I guess I just don't understand the purpose of limited promos. If the promo is truly to promote the line, why not produce them in the thousands and litter the show floor with them?

Zach, in an effort to eliminate "promo anxiety" within the Multiverse, I have a serious proposition for you.

If you produce, let's say 600, of a promo for a show, why not produce an extra 100 to be sent to the MMMV just for us?

This would resolve multiple problems immediately:

- Eliminate 'promo anxiety' of completist collectors

- Reduce the amount of promos being bought on eBay by members, thus eventually reducing scalper initiative, we are their primary potential customer, right?

- It would be a simple way for DST to show appreciation to the Multiverse instead of causing unintended frustration.

- It would reduce the amount of members asking for favors from DST staff at shows.

Of course there are logistics that would need to be determined, who would get them, who would handle the shipping, the costs of producing more promos.

Well, I volunteer to handle all of that.

- I volunteer to cover the costs of producing 100 extra promos and having them shipped to me.

- When I receive them, I create a new thread that the first 98 members to post get the promos, I say 98 because I would keep one for myself and set aside 1 for Ivan at the Minimate Database.

- Members agree to cover the cost of shipping a promo in a padded envelope and the cost of the envelope itself, around $3.00 - $4.00 total US.

- For international members, their shipping costs would be slightly higher, and I could bulk ship to someone like BHM to have him redistribute within the UK at reduced shipping costs.

- If any other kinks need to be worked out, I would work with MMMV staff to resolve.

- If someone didn't want to give me their address, I could ship to an intermediary like Luke if he volunteered.

I would volunteer to do all of that, just to eliminate the promo frustration that occurs during every show. Yes, it would be a lot of work 3 or 4 times a year, but these damn little things mean that much to me.

In all seriousness, talk it over with the Powers-That-Be, but I think this could easily be a win-win for both the fans at the MMMV and DST.

-Justin

Shanester, as much as I love this community, it can only spread the word of Battle Beasts so far. The people who were at this party don't read toy blogs, don't visit our Facebook page, and don't get exposed to any of our normal marketing channels. I'm not saying our guest list was all that, but we were trying to introduce Battle Beasts to a different group, with different interests and different contacts. I wish we'd had time to produce more fully painted ones, because that would have been ideal, but this was our best option. Sorry it's become such a kerfuffle. I'm sure more will make it out there for purchase.

We are a tight enough group and don't have the drama of most forums, that I think it could work if DST came onboard with the idea. I would also like to think that I have proven myself as a trustworthy and loyal board member that has made true friends on this forum that can vouch for my credibility.

For me the question is why a totally new exclusive Vorin ? Promo could have been done with a grey one or you could have offered the gold one to everyone at the booth too. I really can't understand the reason to limit the gold one to this party.

We are a tight enough group and don't have the drama of most forums, that I think it could work if DST came onboard with the idea. I would also like to think that I have proven myself as a trustworthy and loyal board member that has made true friends on this forum that can vouch for my credibility.

I think it may be something to look into.. look what they did for Luke..

The only thing that still has me a bit miffed is I am having to wait longer on my Stealth vorin because of these golden ones that these influential ppl dont even care about. I have googled.. facebooked and twittered my ass off and have not found one mention of them.. can find stuff on the party but not anything on the minimates.. (from ppl that are not minimates blogs)

I do like youbastards idea (only because it means there's a chance I could get my hands on a promo a little easier)

That said, there are a few issues:

1. There's over 300 members here. It may not happen all the time, but there's the possibility of the same resentment from those who are not of the 98 lucky ones as we see from members who are not at the con.

2. While it seems that this is the main forum for minimates, I know there is at least one other site with members who also collect minimates (There may be more, but I really haven't looked) This could cause resentment from other sites (I remember a similar issue with Mattel's Gleek and a certain site that was given a bunch of them while other sites could just watch with jealousy)

Youbastards. You're a genius. It would obviously take a lot of working out, and maybe a bit more than 100 or some kind of raffle instead of first come first served (mainly I say this for the people who can't always be looking at the Internet all day, not myself) but goddamn man, yes! DST gives us a set pile of promos to distribute amongst ourselves and we in turn stop bitching about the things they have to do to grow their business. I like it, and I don't really know you all that well, but I trust you. You've never not seemed a stand-up guy to me, so we should get this idea rolling. I applaud your initiative and forward thinking.

And to address shogi's concerns, we'll just keep it quiet. cone of Silence type stuff.thumbsup.gif

Edited by The Geohound

Yeah, the offer is generous, YB, but even 100 wouldn't be enough for you guys. And you'd get a flood of people joining the forums to get the free one, creating multiple fake accounts, edging out the old guard, double dipping at the show AND on the MMV... It would be madness.

Also, we give them out at shows (and the exceedingly rare party) to increase interest in the line. We'll make sure attending Multiversers are taken care of as best we can, but we make these unpainted, monochromatic variants so it's NOT a crucial item for collectors. If they cause this much bad blood, and we have to add a couple hundred (or more) onto the production run just to keep existing collectors happy, then we might just not do them, and we lose a cool promotional device.

For me the question is why a totally new exclusive Vorin ? Promo could have been done with a grey one or you could have offerEd the gold one to everyone at the booth too. I really can't understand the reason to limit the gold one to this party.

We gave everybody at the booth the blue one, which is cooler, in my opinion. But I didn't think the grey one was festive enough for the event -- it served a very utilitarian purpose at the retailer summit.

EXCEPT:

To suggest "Why not produce 100 extra?" is to suggest that we are somehow 'entitled' to them. We are not. I agree that DST passing out promos we already have (ie: red and blue) would make us feel better. But we aren't really the point. We are not the audience for promos. We will buy ANYTHING Minimate related. They've got us. They don't need to hook. us. They don't need to cater to us. They only need to throw us a Kang every 10 years to keep us around buying their stuff. They don't owe us diddly squat.

I am guilty of this myself, but sometimes I think those of us on this board view ourselves as the entirety of the Minimate consumer base. That is simply not true. We may be the largest concentration of MM fans in one place, but I doubt we are even the biggest chunk of the fandom, not even counting kids. Zach is right, we're low man on the totem-poll guys. They need to get out to A list celebs and brown nosers to help Minimates expand from what it is, to what some of us claim we want to to be, an independent license to rival Lego. (Never gona happen, but shoot for the moon as they say)

I am not condemning anyone for getting upset. There's something you want. You don't have it. Your chances of getting it are slimmer than usual. That's about all this comes down to. And its not a bad thing. But it is what it is.

I guess what I'm saying is simply watch out for the "You owe us because we're your biggest fans" mentality.

Edited by TM2 Dinobot

Thanks Zach. I understand the concept. I guess its just frustration talking. We are planning a major Multiverse invasion of C2E2 2013. Maybe we can help out in some way. I seriously appreciate what you do for us.

I still want to yell "OAT" again, but this time it would be more along the lines of "kkkhhhaaannnnnnn"

just kiddin bud.

TM2... my finger is on the "ban" button...

simple just do what the designer vinyl people do... sell them directly as a limited run pormo at a premium. I would drop 75$ for the Gold Vorin Direct from DST. I guess I may be jaded coming from the collecting background I had before this.. >_<

As for the extra 100 for the mmmv....let YB figure out the rules or logistics for spreading them around. Maybe stipulation is you have to be a mmmv member for a year or more ??

I heard some talk of a numbered pirate promo box. I have an extra to trade for a gold vorin if anyone is interested.

As for the extra 100 for the mmmv....let YB figure out the rules or logistics for spreading them around. Maybe stipulation is you have to be a mmmv member for a year or more ??

see now that just wont work as u already pissed me off ;) hehe

Edited by b00sted