UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Battle Beasts Minimates

Not very much, honestly.

The only figure I wanted ended up to be a hard-to-find TRU exclusive. That one might have whet my appetite for more.

I was hopeful when the same figure was announced for the second assortment but that never happened so I guess I was just never meant to collect these.

In all fairness, I'd probably miss them quite a bit had I gotten into them. Cool comic, though.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was really hoping for the second wave.

I could have used all of them except the hammerhead shark.

I really thought the second wave would have be well received and wish they would have made them.

But oh, well. I am working one of my planned customs with the Mooby mate.

I too am sad that we never got to see this wave 2 released. I thought there were some fantastic designs in wave 2, which honestly I thought was a stronger release of sculpts than the first wave. But sadly, it just doesn't seem like the interest was there behind the line, well atleast the level of interest to get these produced. Really a shame. There are some fantastic figures here.

I'd love to see DST revisit this brand in a few years with an entirely fresh perspective on character designs and mythology. It's definitely a fine line, but I'd love for them to create more of an homage to the 80's brand. Also, while I enjoyed the comic tie-in, I think something like Battle Beasts works better as a less serious "fun" property, and the comic was trying too hard to tell an epic story. Oh, and no more humans. wink.png

I understand that DST only owns the name, but I think nostalgia is really the main element around the "Battle Beasts" brand, and there just wasn't (intentionally) enough nostalgia in the initial effort.

Go back and look at those crazy 6" figures that were displayed, those were some seriously cool designs and invoked the flavor of the original toys without being 100% identical. Series 2 was moving a little closer to this style, in my opinion, with the cow and giraffe.

DST_Minimates_post_banner.jpg

Zach, whenever DST decides to move forward with this line again, please talk to me as I have some Ideas I'd like to share. smile.png

Edited by youbastards

I felt like the end result was a bunch of clunky Minimates that never really stayed together well or stood up right. There were some stand out figures and the second wave looked so much better than the first, but I never really took them seriously. IMO, they just needed more development.

Plus, whose idea was it to make two versions of the same figure but seriously limit access to the nicer version? Not a smooth move IMO.

I felt like the end result was a bunch of clunky Minimates that never really stayed together well or stood up right. There were some stand out figures and the second wave looked so much better than the first, but I never really took them seriously. IMO, they just needed more development.

Plus, whose idea was it to make two versions of the same figure but seriously limit access to the nicer version? Not a smooth move IMO.

I definitely agree about the two versions; the TRU ones looked nicer but since my stores didn't receive them it drastically reduced my interest in the line. I think the designs themselves were okay but they needed a consistently high level of quality to work that just can't be delivered at a price we're willing to pay. That's a problem with more and more minimates lately; they look good on design sheets but the variations in the production process can just kill individual figures.

• 3 months later...

Zach, any chance of these being re-offered at this years NYCC to potential retailers? I agree with others, wave two looked so much better than series one. Even though i liked series one some of them were a hassle to keep together. Wave two looked much more solid with more of a basic minimate aesthetic. Need that cow, lol.

He's underrated.

mine was missing his tail and the wing pegs sheered off, if anything hes overrated.

Sound like problems that could happen to any Minimate set, what with all of the small parts. Did you contact customer service, Dr Baghead? At one point we had plenty of parts, not sure what we have now.

Ronan, I don't think so. Maybe someday.

• 1 year later...

I love em all! Gross is particularly cool, as is the Merk with Falcon's wings. Great work.

Stupid auto-correct. Grodd. Not Gross!

Edited by Onyx_6

• 2 years later...