UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Battle Beasts Minimates

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to luke they are ariving on the 16th so not much time left. I literally can't wait! Since their announcement i have been eagerly awaiting to see the finished product. I just hope that more waves are made. I'll probably buy the TPB too. Animals in armour are alwas awesome.<br><hr>

THIS is what they are going crazy over???

26850-00%20Head.jpg

They look like Happy Meal toys. :biggrin:

So the mm bb have a blocky body but these don't? And where i thought i had met the most stupid people on the planet these guys pop up. I have nothing else fo say.

Edited by Kostisfire

I still have to say my fav are the gators lol.

I still love what you did with the halo minimates and the battle beasts though as well. I am still without a doubt going to pick up the line.

I did not care for the Beast Saga figures at all.. I ended up taking the ones I did buy and ripping their heads off and using them as heads for my Armorvor bodies.

I frequent both boards, however I post more on the LRG forums. I always try to keep any posts positive, and if I do have criticisms of anything, I try to keep them constructive. I will say that both boards are filled with a TON of great people. A lot of people over here have been very welcoming to me as I have gotten started collecting minimates. A lot of guys over at the LRG board were absolutely instrumental ten years ago in helping me become the toy collector and customizer/painter that I am now. LRG is just a board dedicated to a few toylines that are quite a bit smaller than Transformers/Star Wars/MOTU, etc... As such, there tends to be a smaller pool of collectors, and incidentally that group has become very passionate about whatever line they happen to be collecting, whether it's Battle Beasts, MUSCLEs, etc... Most of the time, that passion creates a great positive vibe that harbors a community that is there to help each other. However, sometimes, there are some collectors that use that passion to create negative comments. However, I think if you spent more time over at the boards, you would find a lot of great people. I just tend to ignore most of the negative comments and focus on the threads that are filled with people excited for for new things to come out.

Myself, I'm excited for all manners of new "Battle Beasts" lines, whether it's Beast Saga, Minimates, Armorvors, etc... If it's a small, 2" anthropomorphic animal warrior in battle armor, I am pretty stoked right now. And I think you'll find that most people there are excited about the new minimates Battle Beasts. I think a lot of people are waiting to comment until they get them in hands, and it has taken a while so far to get figures outside of the promos, so people are sort of waiting to see how they turn out. And Zach, the board does like you. A LOT of the guys (like myself) really appreciate the fact that you come over to the boards to talk and give us info. Most other companies I have ever dealt with don't do anything even close to that, with a couple exceptions.

With that said, the BB minimates are different enough from the original battle beasts that there are going to people who don't like them, no matter what anyone says. Not everyone wants a ton of articulation in a figure, and instead like the "solid" feel of a limited or no articulation figure. I am usually in that camp, typically staying away from figures that have a ton of articulation. Minimates are one of the first toylines to get me to cross over a bit. And the proportions are different, with the originals being more squat, thick and similar body types with a certain, almost cartoonish charm to the animals/faces. That's why so many like the Beast Saga figures. They emulate a lot of those qualities that the original battle beasts had, even if they do have the goofy dice launcher in their chest, while the minimates are crazy articulated, taller/skinnier in proportions, and a bit more serious in their sculpts and character designs. The way I see it and a lot of others on the board see it, is that the BB minimates are a different take, a different spin on the concept. That's going to work for some and not work for others. But that's okay. It's just unfortunate that a couple strongly opinionated posters are a bit louder right now than the majority. But, I think that will change once we all get figures in hand. I know a lot of people (myself included) will then be mixing and matching between beasts, other minimates, etc... I know I have already made about a dozen or so custom beast mates while waiting for the official ones to come out using parts from a wide range of mates. Once people can actually interact with that, a lot of them will see the benefits of a minimate and really start to talk about it on the boards.

Let's keep any bad blood from forming between the two boards. Both are filled with some great people who are both passionate about their perspective toy lines. We may just all look at what makes a great mini figure a little bit differently from one collector to another, from one board to another.

Now, with all that said, I'm really looking forward to seeing these beasts in hand. If you have them in the warehouse, than it should be getting very close, hopefully within a week or so. I know I'll be buying one of each from LCS and TRU, and I'm really excited to see what I can put together using these pieces.

I am simply going to say that the people over at LRG are disturbingly articulate and pinpoint in their hatred. Unless all of them are work-at-home freelance writers of some sort, they go out of their way to say negative,mean and simply ridiculous things to Zach...sometimes not even about Battle Beasts.

I am very excited about the launch of the line. Zach does TRU Series 1 and LCS Series 1 ship at the same time?

I also took a look at the LRG forum, and I appreciate the balance that delta was referring to - there are indeed some nice people over there. Unfortunately, though, there are a couple aggressively mean spirited people there as well, and they have no problem flexing their internet muscles in Zach's face... Of course, any situation like this is going to bring nay-sayers out of the woodwork, and we're definitely entitled to negative impression/opinions of other people's creative licenses - but I have to say that Zach deserves props for sticking it out and being professional about it. Lesser people might push back.

That being said, I absolutely LOVE the original Battle Beasts, especially having grown up with Kickback Kangaroo as one of my favorite childhood toys... but I definitely feel that DST's new direction delivers a greater toy and a greater overall experience (thanks in no small part to the comic book). Zach, you guys are right to be proud of what you've done with this line :biggrin:

And just as a testament to the sincerity of that statement, here's a sample of a project I'm working on in tribute to Battle Beast Minimates:

post-37-0-21327800-1357621816_thumb.jpg

Yeah, it's a micron pen drawing (possibly my favorite medium for detail work) :)

and to the point... as much as I loved the original Battle Beasts, they never inspired me to do anything creative. But the minimate incarnation has taken BB's to a new level, and they just kinda beg for attention like fan art, etc.

Hey Zach, how long till we get a Battle Beasts video game? it seems like the next logical step ;)

Edited by Donny B

Donny, that drawing is really nice! You did a great job of capturing the feel of the snake minimate.

For me, the original Battle Beasts are what inspired me to start painting/sculpting toy figures. When I was really young, and didn't understand why battle beasts weren't in stores anymore, I decided to try and make my own new characters. There several poor attempts at it when I was 8 or 9 years old, trying to make new figures out of wood and putty or other similar small figure lines. When I was older, and had gained some experience modeling and painting warhmammer minis, I went back to trying to make some new figures, but started to have a lot more success with it. Since then, I have made a couple dozen new figures, I even had one (a stegosaurus) molded and cast up to send out copies to some friends on the board. In the past ten years, I have made custom figures for myself, custom figures and repaints for other people, and done some other side custom artwork. And while I can't draw, I'm terrible at it, I have taken original battle beasts to comic conventions and art conventions, and have gotten a lot of different artist's take on Battle Beasts. In my spare room, one entire wall is decorated with framed artwork that I have had done of the beasts. Now that battle beasts got me involved in the custom toy world, I have begun to branch out to several other lines, but it all started with my desire to make more BBs when I was young.

Edited by delta chameleon

I guess it has a lot to do with what we're naturally geared to as individuals. Like you had said earlier, delta, you find less articulation more appealing for the most part. I tend to be the opposite in that respect, and I suppose it influences what I find inspiring. My point was more to encourage Zach and the guys at DST than to imply that the original BB line was subpar. But I suspect you may have already picked up on that ;)

(P.S. I wouldn't mind seeing the artwork you've acquired)

I guess it has a lot to do with what we're naturally geared to as individuals. Like you had said earlier, delta, you find less articulation more appealing for the most part. I tend to be the opposite in that respect, and I suppose it influences what I find inspiring. My point was more to encourage Zach and the guys at DST than to imply that the original BB line was subpar. But I suspect you may have already picked up on that ;)

(P.S. I wouldn't mind seeing the artwork you've acquired)

Oh yeah, and I agree with you. I am fully encouraging Zach and DST with their BB minimate line. There are a lot of great things about this new line. I love all the different designs with the new figures, the moose being my current favorite in series 1. And the comic was very well written in my opinion, and gave a great jumping off point for continuing the stories of these great little figures. And I'm not against articulation, I have just typically gravitated towards figures with less articulation. But minimates are beginning to convert me, if just a little bit. :)

My only point was that even if the sculpts/articulation were a bit limited in the original BBs, they are the toyline that drove me to be a more serious collector/customizer, so it will always have a place in my heart over all other lines. It's like that first car or first love. It just has a different feeling than anything else I have collected.

I'll post some pics of the different artwork that I have gotten. There are several that have turned out really nice, and give a great, dynamic look to the older character designs.

Edited by delta chameleon

I'll post some pics of the different artwork that I have gotten. There are several that have turned out really nice, and give a great, dynamic look to the older character designs.

Please do. Head over to the customs thread and start yourself a topic! I'd love to see your work, and some of the figures you've made.

I'll just say, I grew up with Battle Beasts, I've been a fan for many, many years and while BB Mates may not have the robotic armor aspect of the original that I loved so much, I still can't wait to get the BB Mates. They may not be the Battle Beasts I'm used to, but they look awesome to me!

Zach does TRU Series 1 and LCS Series 1 ship at the same time?

I'm sure they ship AROUND the same time, but I have no idea when TRU will put them on shelves or on the site.

Video game would be great, we'll get on that. Vehicles are unlikely, because they are pricey. We'd need huge orders.

Donny B, that's beautiful work.

I am genuinely shocked to learn that there's a Battle Beast fan community with a board and everything. I know I shouldn't be, since if there's one thing near-forty years of geek has taught me, it's to never be surprised, but here I am. The thing that gets me is the outright hostility on that board to DST in general and Zach in particular. I mean, it's not like DST bought out a thriving property and inexplicably revamped it (like, say, when McFarlane toys took over the Simpsons line). Battle Beasts were a minor toy line that disappeared some twenty years ago. It's not like there's this great legacy to maintain. If anything, the main thing Battle Beasts have going for them is that cool name. Anyway, I don't want to slag the guys off, but just say... get over yourselves.  I really doubt that the classic Battle Beast community is enough to sway the success of the line one way or the other.

Edited by hellpop