UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Battle Beasts Minimates

Aight, here are some pics. They were $15.99 at TRU, who had a BOGO 50% sale. To be fair, I don't know what the "real" price is, as TRU has gone up about 30% in the past 4 months. Next year I'm starting a blog. <_< Anyways, $15 sounds about right. For those who don't know, Papo is a French import, much like the German company Schleich. Papo is simply better all the way around with molds and paints. Though they are more expensive. Nice to see them making a move into mass retail. I'll have to check that. I had a dealer tell me they were Italian. Huh.

Anyways, like I said, I picked up the Tiger Mutant and Crocodile.

The Croc is by far my favorite. The detailing on this guy is just amazing. The scales and armor just pop. The eyes on both figures are bit dissappointing. They're a bit derpy and don't pop like the rest of the paint apps.

papo1_zps57faeffa.jpg

papo2_zpsbfa8b2ae.jpg

papo3_zps05bb051c.jpg

The Tiger is a very still pose and totally does not work without his weapons. Speaking of which, I accidently left them in the bag in my mom's car, and she threw luggage on top of them. When they came back, their handles were all bent and stressed. Be careful. Also, the ax has a curved point, which makes it not want to go into the tiger's hand. Also causes stress.

The tiger totally reminds me of the Xevoz Razorclaw. I had a whole army of them. They were fun. The paint and detail on the Tiger is flawless. Again, my only complaint is the eyes.

papo6_zps67f2b4a5.jpg

papo4_zps9f7cbe93.jpg

papo5_zps609c0ba1.jpg

I'd give the Croc a slightly higher recommendation than the Tiger, simply because of the pose and sculpt. But really, you can't go wrong with either of them.

papo7_zpsdfd0f32a.jpg

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've actually got all of the different ones being shipped right now. I've received two already from TRU.com and it's laughable how they pack them. Each one shipped in it's own, over-sized carton with a layer of packing bubbles under and over them. By far the best packing I've ever seen from them, but the irony is is that they just sent me two Nintendo 3DS XLs ($200 each) both packed in athe same stupid bubble mailer they send mangled Minimate packs in. Since I'm inventory control supervisor at a distrubtion center, I scream every time I think about hopw poorly they handle their product and refuse to change despite the numerous returns and complaints they've obviously gotten.

I'll post pics of these all together when I get them.

So, Lego Chima... Looks to me like Lego decided to do it's own version of battle beasts?

Did DST sit on this property too long and now has serious competition in the animal minifigures catagory from Lego?

T.

It's more like Thundercats/Beast Wars/Battle Beasts. Mainly Thundercats. It looks really cool though. I was putting up the displays for it today. I'd like that giant boat.

And yes, DST sat on this too long. If they claim that was their intention or not, I don't care. They over shot the release date by 6 months.

It's more like Thundercats/Beast Wars/Battle Beasts. Mainly Thundercats. It looks really cool though. I was putting up the displays for it today. I'd like that giant boat.

And yes, DST sat on this too long. If they claim that was their intention or not, I don't care. They over shot the release date by 6 months.

The wait is getting exhausting for me, I've collected other lines of non-Minimate toys before but never have I been this excited and bought into so much hype...I hope these hit shelves soon.

Any one seen them in the wild yet? I've read numerous people say that they have shipped.

Decided to slim out some of the collection is anyone seeking out any of the comics?

2x Ashcan's (One signed by Bobby Curnow)

#1 all 5 covers

#2 both covers

#3 both covers

#4 both covers

(A large pile of LCS exclusives)

In two weeks I am taking my son to Toronto for Monster Jam and would like to have some spending cash for the event.

I just wandered over to the Little Condom Rubber Guys forum to see what the word was about Series 1....Zach, you need a raise. :mellow:

I hope you never feel like we treat you the way some of the ass-clowns over there do. Sure, we can get a little silly with our comments/criticism/nit-picking from time to time, but some of those guys at LRG are just out-right mean and spiteful.

Edited by youbastards

I just wandered over to the Little Condom Rubber Guys forum to see what the word was about Series 1....Zach, you need a raise. :mellow:

I hope you never feel like we treat you the way some of the ass-clowns over there do. Sure, we can get a little silly with our comments/criticism/nit-picking from time to time, but some of those guys at LRG are just out-right mean and spiteful.

Agreed 100%

Good luck, Boosted. I have to say, that doesn't bode well that the #1 supporter of Battle Beasts on the forum is starting to sell things off before the line comes out. :confused:

Thanks and not getting completely out just slimming down ;)

Et tu, Boosted?

Not leaving you completely Zach, you have been one of the main reasons I have been around as long as I have, it is amazing to see how awesome you are in supporting fans.

It is pretty much exactly what I wrote, I have sold off most of my collections other than my DST Battle Beasts/Armorvors/Transformer Kreons

I want to do something nice for my son and need cash so making the cut with the comics then some of the exclusives if need be cause 1 person does not need 7 Vorin's lol

Just want to give this boy fun in his life and that is more important than comics hanging on the wall to me.

kqI95l.jpg

Edited by b00sted

I am not a person who gets frustrated easily but what the hell is wrong with these people? They look like cheap knockoff lego figures?WHAT?!? So a heavily sculpted with 14 points of articulation figure is a knockoff of a figure with 7 points of articulation and little detail?And while i love the idea of battle beasts and am a big supporter of the new minimates, the old toys are not the best thing in the world.Sure they were great for their time but things change and evolve and so must the beasts.Is batman the same campy adam west guy?No!Is superman the same dick he was back in the silver age?No! And is that guy expecting ebay to add a battle beasts category and for the old toys to come back in the same exact format? Seriously,all these people that call minimates hideous and a failure should look up those words on the dictionary.

i never knew a person could be so offended by a toy line...it gives off a really greedy vibe...

sorry you have to go through that kind of ruckus Zach, just remember, you always have friendlies here :thumbsup:

I am not a person who gets frustrated easily but what the hell is wrong with these people? They look like cheap knockoff lego figures?WHAT?!? So a heavily sculpted with 14 points of articulation figure is a knockoff of a figure with 7 points of articulation and little detail?And while i love the idea of battle beasts and am a big supporter of the new minimates, the old toys are not the best thing in the world.Sure they were great for their time but things change and evolve and so must the beasts.Is batman the same campy adam west guy?No!Is superman the same dick he was back in the silver age?No! And is that guy expecting ebay to add a battle beasts category and for the old toys to come back in the same exact format? Seriously,all these people that call minimates hideous and a failure should look up those words on the dictionary.

Their mood and standpoint reminds me of something I read when the new Total Recall movie came out (regardless of wether people liked the movie or not). Colin Farell said that people were getting down on the film before it was released, and they were mostly fans of the old movie, which 'is a shame, as they're the people we're making the movie for'.

I realise that DST isn't making these exclusively for the old fans, but you think they'd be happy. New TMNT came out, I love them and buy them. New MOTU came out and that line is still well loved. If new and great Power Rangers come out I will be there in a shot. Surely they should be delighted that their favourite brand has been rescued from limbo.....which is where I'm assuming it was before DST picked it up.

It's an unusual community. Boosted is one of the more positive folks over there. They certainly hate me, though. I came on a little confident at first, then quickly saw that anything that wasn't Battle Beasts G1 or Beast Saga or Armorvor or anything else they like was garbage to them. Not sure why our more poseable figures with blocky thighs are defeated by less poseable figures with blocky chests, but oh, well. Maybe they'll change their tune once they get them in hand. (I doubt it.)

Have I mentioned you guys are very nice? Most of you? I haven't had to "ignore" anyone here yet.

I was just teasing, boosted. Get that kid something nice.

Surely they should be delighted that their favourite brand has been rescued from limbo.....

They aren't delighted,

Shirley_zps344128ed.jpg

I agree with you 100%, it wasn't like vintage Battle Beasts ever took the world by storm the way Transformers, G.I. Joe, Masters of the Universe, or even GoBots did (even the GoBots had a cartoon...), so they should be appreciative that another company thinks there is enough value to the "Battle Beasts" name recognition to use the brand on an unrelated toy line.

I'll admit, I haven't read the Battle Beasts comic, so everything I know about the 'mates is from posts here and various information from Zach and DST. My ONLY criticism of the line so far is that I think that by intentionally avoiding the nostalgia factor (I know Zach hates hearing this) of the Thermal Sensitive Decal and the paper/rock/scissors motif DST is missing an opportunity to score with the original 1980's fanbase. If those "gimmicks" were to somehow be worked into the development of DST's own Battle Beast Universe, I think it would help better market the brand and potentially quiet a lot of the nay-sayers.

Edited by youbastards

I agree with you 100%, it wasn't like vintage Battle Beasts ever took the world by storm the way Transformers, G.I. Joe, Masters of the Universe, or even GoBots did (even the GoBots had a cartoon...), so they should be appreciative that another company thinks there is enough value to the "Battle Beasts" name recognition to use the brand on an unrelated toy line.

I'll admit, I haven't read the Battle Beasts comic, so everything I know about the 'mates is from posts here and various information from Zach and DST. My ONLY criticism of the line so far is that I think that by intentially avoiding the nostalgia factor (I know Zach hates hearing this) of the Thermal Sensitive Decal and the paper/rock/scissors motif DST is missing an opportunity to score with the original 1980's fanbase. If those "gimmicks" were to somehow be worked into the development of DST's own Battle Beast Universe, I think it would help better market the brand and potentially quiet a lot of the nay-sayers.

I think they were appreciative at first, but then time passed, we revised the look of the line, showed them sculpted figures we aren't making, and the Beast Saga line was announced, released, and got an animated series in Japan. Now we're just johnny-come-latelys.

And the gimmicks aren't avoided out of pride or laziness, but out of necessity, so it's not like we can just add them. Hopefully, my stop-motion animation of Battle Beasts #1 knocks their socks off...

maybe next month :/

:down:

Is that LCS series 1 or TRU series 1?

LCS.

Not sure why our more poseable figures with blocky thighs are defeated by less poseable figures with blocky chests, but oh, well.

All of the old Battle Beasts look like they are doing the Gangnam dance....maybe they were onto something... :)

Good call!

FYI, I didn't mean the original series, I meant Beast Saga, which look like the original Battle Beasts swallowed a television.

Edited by Zach Oat