UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Battle Beasts Minimates

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never collected Battle Beasts- but I do remember the icon revealing chest plate. Wasn't that how the original line worked? You'd press on it to reveal fire, wood, water, or air and compare it against your opponents. I know DST probably didn't have the rights to that dated technology but it would've been nice to see it incorporated some way- even it if was just a square plate with the symbol on it.

Just got the Vorin and Zik 2 pack myself along with the comic. What a great idea- as an adult I appreciate having both, but as a kid receiving both of these I'd go nuts. And the sculpting? Holy Smokes- these really aren't even minimates anymore are they? So blown away by the leaps and bounds Minimates have made since there original tampo days. Really amazing work being churned out by this company and I know I'm usually the one on this forum that generally complains about 'this figure not being made' but they always keep me coming back and more importantly, wanting more. :biggrin:

So I was at TRU today and ran across the Animal Mutants made by Papo. http://www.papo-france.com/ Page 106. Let me just they, they were the most amazingly sculpted and painted designs I've ever seen. The only thing that stopped me from buying them right then and there was their total lack of articulation.

I've seen those as well- really amazing figures- but yeah, little to no articulation other than a moveable jaw on some. Papo also makes a really nice (fairly accurate minimate scale) T-rex that rivals that of Jurassic Park. There's two color versions I've seen at Hobby Lobby- a two tone green and two tone brown. They've also made a great Spinosaurus (JP3) that's the correct scale to the T-rex but the other dinos in the line aren't scaled correctly. The raptors were great too- but only for a short while- a repaint using a diamond pattern ruined the figure and unfortuately that's all they offer now. That, and it's not to scale to mates.

TRU.com has had them for awhile and marked them down to $9.99 from $14.99 then sold out, then relisted them at $154.99 (even though the original listings still show). I've always been tempted by these as well.

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.jsp?kw=&moduleName=Brand+Name+Secondary&fbc=1&f=Taxonomy%2FTRUS%2F2255956&f=PAD%2FBrand+Name+Secondary%2FPapo&fbn=Brand+Name+Secondary%7CPapo&view=all

Those figures are also at craft stores like A.C. Moore and Michaels if that helps anyone.

They make some really well done knights and mythical creatures too. I always stop by and look at them, they remind me a little of the Britains Knights I used to collect as a kid.

The only problem I have with them is that they aren't package and their weapons are removable. A lot of the figures have missing weapons(due to stealing, or people remiving them and losing them) or mismatched weapons. So you have to search to find the one out of five that's complete.

I've seen those as well- really amazing figures- but yeah, little to no articulation other than a moveable jaw on some. Papo also makes a really nice (fairly accurate minimate scale) T-rex that rivals that of Jurassic Park. There's two color versions I've seen at Hobby Lobby- a two tone green and two tone brown. They've also made a great Spinosaurus (JP3) that's the correct scale to the T-rex but the other dinos in the line aren't scaled correctly.

Papo dinosaurs are things of beauty and I just want to clear up they are NOT the ones TRU is selling, Shiendrick (don’t care if I spelled their name right) Dinosaurs are giant turds while Papo’s are majestic wonders!

I swear Papo’s had to have been made with the Jurassic Park license originally (they do make licensed figurines of Batman and Superman it seems so it’s not unlikely) that they continue release as generic dinosaurs because the sculpt is TOO identical to the movies to just be a generic T-Rex (especially when the other , not-appearing-in-Jurassic-Park, dinosaurs are in a completely different style)

I cannot recommend Papo’s dinosaurs or animal mutants (with the exception of the older, non-articulated jaw Dragon Man and the Bird Warrior/Griffin both are sup-standard) highly enough to someone who loves dinosaurs or animal warriors. Until the Horsemen knock off this ‘glycos retro alien’ bullshit you’re never gonna get a better animal warrior figure and unless NECA or Mezco wrestle the JP license from Hasbro you’ll NEVER EVER get a better dinosaur.

I was thinking about cutting them apart and adding some articulation. Not sure what I think of that though.

Articulation is overrated, is this Daryl here http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_011312a.htm made a better figure because he has articulation despite being sculpted to stand in only one pose?

There is no official date for the TRU set, but they should be hitting stores soon.

http://www.artasylum.com/blog/2012/12/battle-beasts-minimates-are-ready-to-invade/

As long as they didn't get held up by the dock workers strike. My guess is that we won't see these until after the new year.

For the Lcs sets, I'm going to wait to see if we get Walking dead series 2 and SFvTX series 2, both are scheduled to hit on Jan.2, on time. If we do then Jan. 9 should be accurate.

Edited by SuperChefMate