UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Battle Beasts Minimates

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is some sort of Minimate exclusive/incentive with the IDW comic coming in July...

http://www.dcbservice.com/category.aspx?id=37

BATTLE BEASTS #1 (OF 4) 25 COPY MINIMATE INCV Order Code - MAY120358

Looks like the comic store gets 1 for every 25 copies of the comic they order. DCBS has it listed at $12. Can't find any more info on it yet though. May be worth checking at your local comic store.

What this means is that for every 25 copies of this a shop orders, they receive 1 issue with a variant cover, usually by a more in demand artist. Then the shop can decide what they want for this issue, usually they jack up the price. So if you were hoping this meant another exclusive mate, then sorry to disappoint.

More importantly, now that DST owns Battle Beast, has anyone seen that Takara is now doing another battle beast line called beast saga? They have also kind of turned Battle Beasts into a game. Being the sister company of Hasbro and having produced these in the past, I can see them releasing more, but if they dont own or co-own the license anymore than I'm afraid of what this will do to DST. Here's some pics

http://battlebeasts.blogspot.com/2012/04/beast-saga-painted-figures-revealed.html

P.S.Did you guys know the original battle beasts also appeared in the japanese transformers series in the 80's? Real talk.

It does usually mean incentive cover, but IDW has gotten creative on that sort of thing before. There was a Star Trek Khan plush and a 30 Days of Night plush previously from them as incentives. Then again, IDW has previously done pictures of toys on covers for G.I. Joe and Transformers, so it could be that. I'm guessing it's an actual Minimate though based on the description (doesn't say Minimate Cover or anything). Hopefully Luke hears back from his Diamond rep soon!

More importantly, now that DST owns Battle Beast, has anyone seen that Takara is now doing another battle beast line called beast saga? They have also kind of turned Battle Beasts into a game. Being the sister company of Hasbro and having produced these in the past, I can see them releasing more, but if they dont own or co-own the license anymore than I'm afraid of what this will do to DST.

Yeah, there's a thread about them over in the Other Toys section. Takara/Hasbro still own their characters and concept, they just let the trademark lapse, so DST owns the name now. I don't really see these new dice Beasts being imported by Hasbro, especially if they now can't brand them as Battle Beasts, but who knows.

This figure will be a "Stealth Black Vorin" according to my Diamond rep. It will only be available through this promotion. We will not be carrying them, as we don't sell comics. If the number was lower than 25 I would consider it.

It does usually mean incentive cover, but IDW has gotten creative on that sort of thing before. There was a Star Trek Khan plush and a 30 Days of Night plush previously from them as incentives. Then again, IDW has previously done pictures of toys on covers for G.I. Joe and Transformers, so it could be that. I'm guessing it's an actual Minimate though based on the description (doesn't say Minimate Cover or anything). Hopefully Luke hears back from his Diamond rep soon!

This, I did not know. Also thanks for the info Battlecat, I hadn't seen that thread.

More importantly, now that DST owns Battle Beast, has anyone seen that Takara is now doing another battle beast line called beast saga? They have also kind of turned Battle Beasts into a game. Being the sister company of Hasbro and having produced these in the past, I can see them releasing more, but if they dont own or co-own the license anymore than I'm afraid of what this will do to DST.

We have the trademark on the name, Arnim. We will not be affected. Also, our toys will be better. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the thread.

Yeah, there's a thread about them over in the Other Toys section. Takara/Hasbro still own their characters and concept, they just let the trademark lapse, so DST owns the name now. I don't really see these new dice Beasts being imported by Hasbro, especially if they now can't brand them as Battle Beasts, but who knows.

I could see Hasbro bringing them over with a new name. Toys with games are a hot item. Skylanders seem to be doing well, Bakugan is a huge hit, and they got bot-shots going. Blind packs in general seem to be all over the place, lego, playmobile all kinds. It would really fit with what's out there.

Takara is trying to distance it a bit from the original. The original was a pretty shameless tie-in to transformers, calling them beastformers, even though the toys make type of transformation or anything. This time they get to be their own thing, Beast Saga. Hasbro could actually pull the opposite and try to tie into transformers by calling them "Beast Wars" though I doubt they will. Still, Battle Beasts were never as popular as the fans would like them to have been. They never got huge like transformers or GI joe. If hasbro wants to release these, they will, a name won't get in their way.