UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Battle Beasts Minimates

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweeeet! Thanks for the pics Magnus! :D

The gold one by FAR looks the best from all 3, imo. I'll really need to track this guy down!! I just hope he doesn't continue to demand outrageous prices, he really just isn't worth $50. :pinch:

I just hope he doesn't continue to demand outrageous prices, he really just isn't worth $50. :pinch:

The range I'm seeing seems to be $20-$40. I managed to get one via Best Offer after some haggling for $29.99, which was my maximum, but I didn't feel like getting into any potential bidding wars or other such nonsense.

Now that I have the C2E2 and SDCC versions, I really really want the Toy Fair version. They just look a little sad without their brother.

I just wrote a paragraph pertaining to these new SDCC "Battle Beasts" vs. Battle Beasts Minimates (if they make anymore beyond these croc exclusives) in a message to a member and thought, you know, I should post this, cause I'd REALLY like to hear others' opinions on the topic. So here it is, edited to be a post of course :D

Has anyone heard any news as to what is to come of the Battle Beasts Minimates? After seeing pictures of those larger SDCC BB that are clearly not mates, I don't know what to think. Did any SDCC goers ask, or heard of anyone asking, Chuck whether they were still planning on having a BB MM line after seeing the larger ones on display? If so, what's the news?

I've been so excited for the BB MM line to come, and although I admit the look of some of these larger beasties are really cool, others on display @ SDCC look downright stupid to me, and I would rather see this new look on the mates (we know it's possible & if anyone can do it AA can). If both lines happen, I think that could be really neat, but if abandoning the BB MM idea occurs & that's the route that Diamond & AA want to go, I think there are some large errors in judgment & making that switch would lose at least three key elements that would help sales and encourage growth upon an existing fan-base (significantly, in my opinion), not to mention jumping into a brand new market instead of continuing branching out in one that they already dominate. Also, I know I'm no economatician or mathemagician, but some of this seems like common sense following their market trends, so please hear me out before you rip me a new one :P

(1) the possibilities in interchangeability that comes with the mates just improves upon that transformers/beast formers ideology which is where Battle Beasts originated. I think that this would bring in true Battle Beasts fans of old & perhaps even Transformers fans. Hell, I could see an entire new fan-base being created for a Minimates line that is meant to mix & match, choose your own teams, trade armor, add on weapons, make your own half-breed, etc... It may just be the photos I viewed of the recently revealed much larger SDCC Battle Beasts on display, but I believe the characters & their suits are all one piece, & even if they weren't, with the different sizes and shapes, the only interchangeability here will be hand held weapons, that is, if characters like the Octopus can even hold any weapons other than their own (the original Hasbro/Takara BB lines from the early 80s at least had the same understanding when it came to the hands, like Minimates do now)

(2) Bringing articulation to the Battle Beasts world can only be a step in the right direction. The battle poses of these exclusive crocs or gators (whatever you want to call them, just dont call them luggage :hulk: ) look damn cool! And let's take that larger ape beast they had on display for example; what kind of bizarre pose was he stuck in? I say a ridiculously dumb one that nobody is going to want. Now I haven't heard anything about such, but to me, these figures look like soft viny/rubber/plastic that may have wire in the limbs for bendy articulation. If this turns out to be the case, that's fine for collectors displaying these figures, but the playability goes waaaaayyy down with, "Oops, the friggin wire broke!". As they always do (a recent Toy Break episode addressed the still current problem with the "9" Neca figures). Kids will not have fond memories of those battle beasts. Or if they do, you can guarantee they'll also have a memory of when the wire snapped and unfortunately the word "cheap" may also be used.

(3) Collectors will be (and already are) wary about these newly announced larger BB, and collecting the entire series may be an issue. Collectors are quite favorable to the size of current BB & MM (Minifigures) because of the subjects, styles, & quality of course, but also because of the price-point & they allow for MANY figures, with plenty of room to display them. Us mini-figure fans are a proud, dedicated, and vocal bunch (like anyone with devotion towards what they like) & most likely we will not be purchasing many, if any, of these larger beasts, which means bye bye (not buy buy) old school Battle Beasts fans. How many animals do you think they'll actually be able to, or afford to produce? They've announced that these larger Battle Beasts will hit stores in 2011 @ $14.99, but no mention yet as whether sold in single or double packs at that price (Read more & see pictures HERE). I think anyone who knows Diamond or is just a Minimates collector purchasing at retail knows that $15 will be for 1 of these figures, hmm, just like the bendy "9" figures actually. And that line ended after 2 figures produced & was based on a major motion picture (this line's death includes accompanying reasons besides the toy quality though).

If they trade minimates versions for these SDCC previewed, i think it will be a belly flop. They will never have the character # as the BB of old, they will most likely lose more fans than they will gain, and how many of those buying these figures are going to be able to own more than a few? I hope it doesn't hurt AA too much if they do... This could be worse than the Palisades Micronauts release ;) I Joke

Haha, when it comes down to it, I just REALLY want my Battle Beasts Minimates dangit. But hey, there's some stuff to talk about :D

With Love for the Beast Mates,

JPenguin

Here's a thread discussion of others already voicing their opinions of the newly announced SDCC 6" Battle Beasts...

http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?s...p;#entry1592105

I think the right move would be to produce the Battle Beasts Minimates as the actual line showcasing many diff. characters, PLUS having just a few of these 6" versions available for anyone wanting a larger more stylized figure to add to their collection. Because of the reasons I already discussed, & for $15 a figure this line standing alone as the premier Battle Beasts line would most likely fail.

I DO think it would be a good move if these were released in conjunction with the BB MM line. It gives collectors another current BB option. If you like Iron Man, you have your selection of Mighty Muggs, Minimates, Marvel Universe, etc ETC, which are all different toy styles to satisfy many types of toy collectors. Yet if Battle Beasts is brought back and only as Minimates, it doesn't leave ANY option for those collectors who don't like block mini-figures, because even though these BB Minimates Gator Exclusives are unlike any Mates to come before, they are still very much so block figures and no doubt minifigs. So if that's the plan, I think it's a brilliant one for business & buyers :)

I will definitely get 1 or 2 of these guys, but I should really go ahead and set aside a savings account for the BB MMs. Ha, I'm kind of joking, but only kind of. There will most likely be A LOT of characters and I hope the 2pk price doesn't increase due to the extra work & goodies <_<

Edited by J.P.

I think they are just putting BB's aside while they work on other licenses like Halo and Universal Monsters since they now OWN Battle Beasts where as they do not own any other property. Meaning they have Halo and Monsters now, but they may not in three years or so, where as they will have Battle Beasts to work on then...

• 2 weeks later...

I just won an SDCC BB on eBay for 10$ with free shipping! I was very happy as this will be my first BB of the three and I think I got a pretty frakkin awesome deal!

I would much rather have these in minimate form than in the 6" form that was shown at SDCC.

I just won an SDCC BB on eBay for 10$ with free shipping! I was very happy as this will be my first BB of the three and I think I got a pretty frakkin awesome deal!

I would much rather have these in minimate form than in the 6" form that was shown at SDCC.

U got a helluva deal! The BB matesimo are by far some of the coolest. you will want more! congrats on your win.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Dig up such an old post and all, but has anyone else attempted to butcher an original Battle Beast and turn it into a custom Beast Mate? Now that I've done a lot of Exacto style blood letting I'm wondering if perhaps I should have done a bit more research to see what type of experience others have had. I'm now thinking I may have bitten off more than I originally imagined.

• 4 months later...

Interesting. Toyfair is in about 45 days, so I imagine we'll see some kind of prototypes there.

I hope it's Minimates and not those goofy statues from last TF (or was it two years ago?) The lack of any other mention or showing of those would seem to indicate they were a non-starter...

Wheres Zach, we need answers

What's going on?

Oh, yeah. No, don't expect to see anything at Toy Fair -- go by the clock.

And while I can say no more, I would base expectations on what we've actually produced, not on what we showed once. Two or three years ago. Or thereabouts.

So, more Gators? There's most of the rainbow that hasn't been explored by reptiles yet...

(Yes, this is sarcasm and is in no way intended at an actual jab at Diamond Select Toys, Chuck T., Mr. T., Zach O. or any Battle Beasts).

(Yes, that last line was very snarky and sarcastic in its own right.)