UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Battle Beasts Minimates

I am just hoping that the playset ends up coming out so I can get the BB and not have to worry about the exlclusives at all! (Although I most likely would still try to get the exclusives as I tend to be a completist). :blush:

For those of you that have seen these cardboard (are they actually cardboard?) playsets in person, are they as cheap as they look in the pictures? Worse?

The idea of playsets since C3 is welcomed by me, but the only element here that attracts me too is the exclusive figures that they decide to issue with it, specifically Battle Beasts. Other than that, almost every aspect of this playset turns me off. A 3D block setting like C3 would be ideal, and if the reason for the flat printed cardboard playsets is financial, I'd almost rather not have a playset at all, than one so cheap. It will hopefully come with display putty, because even the slightest brush against the playset, and since it'll most likely be coated cardboard, then MY HEAVENS! - your figures go slip n' slide, and I imagine even trying to push down on the surface with display putty will most likely damage your playset pretty fast too (a bend or puncture)... Hmmm, I just couldn't justlify purchasing a cheaply constructed item for around $30 that would most likely break before the year's up... I'd really like to hear from anyone who has examined these in person.

Perhaps if the graphics were more versatile & the price more agreeable I could accept it (you know, that "you get what you pay for" philosophy). There isn't enough for me visually, currently as is, with a LARGE research laboratory, an office building from the outside, and an alley/sewer. What if it indicated a more Battle Beastie environment, one where 3 of the sections were elemental? Ha, that just got me unnecessarily excited - like if one corner was a volcano scene, one an oceanic habitat under water, and another within a lush forest. I know that we're not even sure what will come of the use of elements if at all, or if this playset is supposed to have anything to do with BB other than the exclusive coming with, but even with what we already know of Battle Beasts, different scenes would be awesome, and definitely make me feel like I was getting my money's worth. Hell, having a variation between scenes gives us a lot of play with ALL Minimates (ex: Platoon set in forest), & when MAX comes out too, transferring the vehicles to different environments (ex: water crafts under ocean w/o touching water). The other corner & flats could still be available for a science lab, the moon, a subway sandwich, etc. Maybe they could provide dry erase markers and have a "Build Your Own Scene" Section. This I could get behind, although I still don't like the standing issue.

Has anyone heard how they plan to keep the mates standing? Are there foot pegs that I just don't know about?

Edited by J.P.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

There's a brief note in the Fan Fare section of this month's Toyfare magazine that talks about Battlebeast Minimates (pg7).

They have a quote from DST Chuck that pretty much says that besides handing out promos at shows, they don't have any announcements, nothing is coming out in 2010 and to look to 2011 as a more likely release of products.

Edited by captain_cbecker

Nice to know that old news is considered news to Toy Fare (which that, in itself, is old news).

And I'll throw out again here (since it's closer) that anyone that ends up with an extra SDCC version and wants to trade for a C2E2 version should send me a pm.

It's my personal opinion that a Toy Fare BB will be far more rare® than an SDCC BB. I have no idea whether these were produced in equal numbers .....I'd find it sort of weird if they weren't.....but C2E2 (blacks) are pretty common on ebay whilst the Toy Fare (greens) are unreasonably expensive & rare...currently. If I haven't said it recently ,I'll say it again ..forget the "only 100 produced" nonsense.

It's my personal opinion that a Toy Fare BB will be far more rare® than an SDCC BB. I have no idea whether these were produced in equal numbers .....I'd find it sort of weird if they weren't.....but C2E2 (blacks) are pretty common on ebay whilst the Toy Fare (greens) are unreasonably expensive & rare...currently. If I haven't said it recently ,I'll say it again ..forget the "only 100 produced" nonsense.

Totally guessing, but I imagine they'd produce the same amount of each color (maybe more for the SDCC one, just because the attendance is so huge) -- but the Toy Fare ones all went to fans, while a good percentage of the C2E2 ones went to eBay flippers who'd seen the crazy demand for the Toy Fare ones and wanted to capitalize on it.

If DST have leftovers of the previous colors, maybe we'll see a rainbow of BBs at SDCC, ie. hand out one a day like those exclusives of years past. That's the only way I can see greens showing up for a more reasonable price on eBay.

Edited by battlecat

The Toy Fair ones were the first to appear & were accompanied by the hysteria & bullshit that 'only a handful were produced'....virtually every ebay auction for them promoted that 'fact'. I'm not dissing your point entirely BC but many of those 'fans' :rolleyes: at Toyfare were/are out & out dealers .....it was a trade fair after all ...& they milked it for every drop, the solitary seller on ebay of the TF Green has sold many. The blacks from C2E2 settled down to the usual $25 ish within a month .

From what I have seen promos just wind toy fans up & trade promos are just a slap in the face.

There's a brief note in the Fan Fare section of this month's Toyfare magazine that talks about Battlebeast Minimates (pg7).

They have a quote from DST Chuck that pretty much says that besides handing out promos at shows, they don't have any announcements, nothing is coming out in 2010 and to look to 2011 as a more likely release of products.

Did they show any new Battle Beasts pictures other than the Gators we know of?

...anyone that ends up with an extra SDCC version and wants to trade for a C2E2 version should send me a pm.

Ditto.

I still have Three C2E2 Beasties left, so if you still don't have one yet, there's a lot I'd trade for, including the world's 'best' PB&J perhaps :)

I hope that one of the Gator variants, if they continue with the Gator as the Exclusive Promo BB, is a Clear Variant. Although, with it all not being one piece (like the clear BB of old), it may look odd and lose too much detail. Maybe if it was cloudy clear, it would work better. Ehh, whatever the case, I still want it :)

Edited by J.P.

I am new to the Battle Beasts, but since the first Alligator beast came out I've really wanted one. Now after seeing those old Battle Beasts figures that maxcarnage posted, I want to see more variations of the Battle Beasts and NOT only be given away at Conventions. These guys are way too wanted just for those! :)

I am new to the Battle Beasts, but since the first Alligator beast came out I've really wanted one. Now after seeing those old Battle Beasts figures that maxcarnage posted, I want to see more variations of the Battle Beasts and NOT only be given away at Conventions. These guys are way too wanted just for those! :)

BHM, & the Captn are right!

It can definitely be fun to track them down post-convention, and there's almost nothing like the excitement of finding one and for a good price/trade at that,.. but in some ways, I wish that the promos fit more to the "promotional" description; getting people excited about what the product is & what is to come with just a taste of what will be. By "taste", I mean - not as good as the actual release..

Although in truth, we have no idea how the Battle Beast line will turn out. We could be getting totally amped up for these promos because they are so new to us, they are the revival of a popular toy-line from some of our childhoods, and they're foreign in the way of minimates like we have never known with their sculpt, etc. And really, the market releases could blow these con exclusives out of the water, causing their value to only be cherished by us collectors (swallowing that $20-$100 based on what they are worth to us, not the market). Also, as anxious as I am for the new Battle Beasts, there are issues with this Gator promo that do leave it in that prototype stage, at least I hope so.

Soooo, I just talked a few things out there and realize that where I started isn't where I ended. I think I just had a debate with myself. :wacko: Ha, now I'm just confused. Anyone want to sort through my word vomit? :sick:

I think what I'm trying to say is - I don't like the idea of limited exclusives, but at the same time, we'll all get a shot at the good stuff... hopefully. AND that is if the promos are meant to be just a taste, meaning we'll be blown away by the toy-line. I'm really thinking this must be so, with no underlying detail on the Gators' bodies, like promos of the past. It's just, why do these samples have to taste so AWESOME ;)

This doesn't mean I'm not down with the SDCC Battle Beast, because I'm all sorts of down with it! They Exist, they rock, I want one :D

Edited by J.P.

Did they show any new Battle Beasts pictures other than the Gators we know of?

Sorry... no new pics. It was really just part of the readers write-in and ask questions part of the magazine.

Edited by captain_cbecker

• 2 weeks later...

I also just got my first Battle Beast a couple days ago, and I do dig him. I'm not generally big on the bulky, sculpted parts, but it was an absolute necessity here, and it is just a cool figure, even if almost unrecognizable as a Minimate.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been informed by my friend @ SDCC that, so far, there's no new Battle Beast MINIMATES on display. However, he DID see Battle Beast figures by Art Asylum that were about 6 inches tall. I didn't see that coming!

Update: PHOTO!

imagejpeg96.jpg

Edited by Cramer

Never would've guessed that one! Hard to tell from the photo, but those look like they could be pretty awesome designs, with the realistic animal heads.

And it has to be good for the Minimates seeing the light of day, that they're this invested in this property.

I wonder if they're going multiple directions with Battle Beasts, or if the focus is shifting off of Minimates and onto this. They've basically been giving the same Minimate away since they first announced the property. It's a good way to save money on tooling costs, but if they were moving forward with MMs based on BBs, then you'd think they'd have tooled another head/body/hand/something by now.

I wonder if they're going multiple directions with Battle Beasts, or if the focus is shifting off of Minimates and onto this. They've basically been giving the same Minimate away since they first announced the property. It's a good way to save money on tooling costs, but if they were moving forward with MMs based on BBs, then you'd think they'd have tooled another head/body/hand/something by now.

I'm thinking that they are aiming for the 7th Kingdom, MOTU, Legends, and DCUC crowd with these. Nostalgia with a contemporary update. I think they are trying to lay a foundation to build the brand longterm.

Since the original Battle Beasts were 2 inch, I couldn't imgaine how we wouldn't see the first two Minimates waves before the end of SDCC.