UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Battle Beasts Minimates

Honestly it doesn't hurt my feelings that they don't have a rub point on their chest... although wouldn't that be cool?

I actually had to look up what these things were on google before I remembered them from ages ago. It's really rather a random market for minimates to fill, but I like what I've seen so far.

Except for the prices... that promo is overpriced XD

But does anybody know if the promo is based off a former battle beast? Or is Art Asylum making new ones in Minimate format?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But does anybody know if the promo is based off a former battle beast? Or is Art Asylum making new ones in Minimate format?

Apparently, it's DST's take on the Gruesome Gator. BHM provided a link to a BB website earlier today.

The rub decals would be cool, it's true. I had many of those old toys as a kid and still have a few left. That deer-guy comes to mind. And a swordfish, though he's got a marble in his chest instead of the sticker.

Whatever, point is... decals or something akin to them for the chest symbol would be cool. BUT... I really think they need to release these in 2 packs rather than leading off with an expensive playset that only has one animal or folks from way-back-when may not buy into the nostalgia factor and purchase them.

I really think they need to release these in 2 packs rather than leading off with an expensive playset that only has one animal or folks from way-back-when may not buy into the nostalgia factor and purchase them.

Agreed 100%. Though we don't know the strategy yet, I think that DST needs to get these available to the masses for a very reasonable price. Otherwise, I don't see this line working.

I personally think the cheap looking playset is over-priced for what it appears to be, and I'm not sure that anything can make it a success, but you are just going to frustrate potential fans if you don't give them what they want for a price that they are willing to pay. There are fans foaming at the mouth for these figures, because they tap into childhood nostalgia, and I think DST needs to capitalize on that.

I wasn't sure whether there'd be interest in these from people outside of the Minimate fraternity but if this new promo is selling consistently at $75+ then I am convinced that it is 'new blood' that's buying them .....or a very elaborate conspiracy . The youtube video was incredible & has helped to hype these but I'm just confused about the ploy from DST.

I didn't know this, but apparently there is a connection with Transformers. I and many others also remember the toy from being a kid. Add to this general Minimate fans, and fans of wacky new toys, and I think there is a lot of potential for success with this line.

I didn't know this, but apparently there is a connection with Transformers.

Yes... but only in Japan. I'll let the wiki explain. So yeah, this will likely bring in more Transfans into minimates, kinda like GB is.

Just... well... consider this advanced warning before some stumble their way here... the hardcore transfans can be a little... intense at best... down right nuts at worst... and can make the most volatile members here look soft spoken in their opinions. And for some reason, they like to judge folks on their degree of "true fandom"... not sure why. So if you're considering joining a TF forum... wear a cup. YMMV

Funny enough, I'm a member of the tfw2005 forum, but post almost exclusively in non-TF threads at this point. Most of the reason is that I'm not interested in TF movie stuff (which has dominated the toys recently), but I have noticed there are various strands of fans there, which is kind of interesting. I'm in the camp who enjoyed the cartoons in the 80s and only cares about stuff related to that. Some others are in the same boat about that Beastformers CG program from the late 90s or whatever it was, some actually only seem interested in the movies, etc. Interesting to see the interaction there between these groups sometimes. . .but only sometimes.

Yeah, I came here from some of the smaller TF boards. I was considered the soft spoken conservative outcast yall. Those people are NUTS. One word: Raksha. I hope DST knows what they're doing and they don't get death threats when people figure out that Battle Beasts are techno organic (little in-joke there). Even with the "movie" bringing in more fans and diluting the fan-rage that flames up now and again, it's still intense.

Whatever, point is... decals or something akin to them for the chest symbol would be cool. BUT... I really think they need to release these in 2 packs rather than leading off with an expensive playset that only has one animal or folks from way-back-when may not buy into the nostalgia factor and purchase them.

I agree with both points. I feel they could MAYBE add on the emblems as a decal and release them as two packs. As mentioned I'm not really interested in the play set, so I'm more likely to buy it loose off eBay. Heck, why not make it a three pack and put one character for each of the elements in it.

Until today i had almost forgotten about the "new battlebeast" line but after having watched the video created by Pixel Dan it seems with just some minor tweaks this line would be fine and a winner.

Creating a successful Battle Beast line seems simple to me - recreate the originals and add articulation. Everyone is happy (well articulation fans are happy and classic fans would appreciate a sculpt more faithful to the originals).

So with regard to the new Battle Beast prototype

- Shrink the heads. Its out of proportion with the rest of the body (animal head or not). Theres no need to use the heads as slip over mask on a minimate round head base. Simply make the head and add a ball socket.

- Round and sculpt detail on the legs. Ive made something almost exactly like the Battle Beast shown at home (several actually) using a minimate body as a base as well. If i can round the legs theres no damn reason a well funded company cant and add top notch detail on them as well.

- Maintain the height of the originals (or as close as possible) . The height of the gator "battle Beast Minimate" doesn't bother me but why not try to be as faithful to the original as possible?

- Add a square base that looks like the seating area for rub emblems on the original 1980's figures (assuming they cant use rub emblems or identify the beast with element clans). Fans will paint or add their own emblems. Hell place non element emblems there as secondary market element symbol placeholders. Thats fan service and everyone wins.

3-4 minor and easy steps that arent difficult makes this line a winner. Anything other than that is simply trying to reinvent the wheel. Theres no need. If the changes above were made...id buy some . The new battle beast doesnt look horrible but it doesnt look much better than what people can accomplish at home on their own with REAL battle beast as a base.

That being said...if you want to make your own articulated battle beast that look exceptional and still use the classic bodies just buy your own joints. Ive made my own joints in the past but came across joints that function the same way my home made joints do...

for less than $5 (or 6 shipped) :rolleyes:

Id rather buy my Battle Beast from the minimate team but only if they make them closer to the originals.

So with regard to the new Battle Beast prototype

- Shrink the heads. Its out of proportion with the rest of the body (animal head or not). Theres no need to use the heads as slip over mask on a minimate round head base. Simply make the head and add a ball socket.

a base.

I totally agree with you & you make some some damn fine points. I perceived that the new 'Father & Son ' prototype size Miniermates would be utilised for this very purpose . I would have preferred a smaller-based head that could then be added to......... rather than individual sculpts.

As soon as read about the Father and Son figures i though that the "son" torso could be used in order to shorten the height of the figure bringing it closer to the 1980's versions height. Your dead on with regard to the smaller minmate head being the head used for a "slip on" beast head. I didnt think of that . It would be a fair compromise for the fan and minimate team.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice pics for sure. But this guy just doesn't do it for me as a minimate. It seems that they are getting too cluttered up with armor and different heads and accessories. This thing hardly looks like a minimate!! I like the simplicity of the earlier mates. A perfect example is the new Klaw / Storm two pack. I know I'm getting off topic, but the battle beast is a definite pass for me, but like I said, cool pics!