UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Battle Beasts Minimates

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They need rubsigns or their doomeded! Well, maybe not quite, but in at least one way.

Not necessary rubsigns but I agree that they need a secret symbol. Look at the laserbeasts (BB second generation) with their orb. In fact I will buy them even if they haven't.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally found a good sized chunk of my Battle Beast collection in one of the bottom boxes (of course) in the storage closet.

beasts.jpg

I still have most of their weapons, but without elbow articulation there are only a couple of poses that work. It's easier to leave them out for the photo shoot.

These three guys were my favorite, but I didn't know they had names until this revival.

Harrier Hawk:

hrHawk.jpg

Panzer Panda:

pzPanda.jpg

Black Panther:

blPanther.jpg

Now for play time. :)

angel1.jpg

angel2.jpg

Shortly after this photo was taken Aquaman was hastily devoured.

aquaman.jpg

Old friends reunited.

grodd.jpg

This is the other reason I didn't arm them. I wanted to give Kraven a fighting chance.

kraven.jpg

This last one is a commentary on inter-species dating.

cheetah.jpg

The actual comment is up to you though. Extra Internets to captions referencing being in the same Family, but different Genera. I love biology jokes.

Love the photos Ivan! :D

In fairness the two lines seem to interact just fine... species differences notwithstanding :P

So judging from that Kraven pic, are Minimates really that much taller than Battle Beasts?

And from the looks of the Beasts' hands, their weapons might be too big for Minimates too. Though I guess it's still worth a shot to check for compatibility...

cheetah.jpg

"Don't run from me darling! I won't bite... too hard..."

I've just been eavesdropping Littlerubberguys.com & there is a fair bit of interesting/heated debate about the Minimate license & Minimates in general http://www.littlerubberguys.com/forums/ind...0&start=100 .

I'm not a member of their board so I have little right to comment but so far I haven't seen a single negative about BBs or their collectors here yet there is a distinct 'suggestion' that some of their posters think otherwise.

Either way it is worth reading just to get a different perspective.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Yowch! Those guys really have a mad-on for Minimates, don't they?

I can see their point though. The sculpting style, and more importantly the rubsign really are what make Battle Beasts what they are. I'd be pretty pissed if, say, McFarlane bought the license to Xevoz, and relaunched them as two-POA stactions, and all of them somehow involved a homicide or bondage theme.

To each his own, I guess.

Oh man, what a fiasco. I've just been reading about some guy's uproar over Eoin Colfer's planned sequel to the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy books and I'm really seeing some parallels with this and the Battle Beast-to-Minimate transition. I'm almost afraid to read the other thread now.

On a side note, the only "negative" feedback I've recalled about BBs here only came from lack of prior knowledge that Battle Beasts were a previously-existing toy license. I know a lot of us initially mistook the Gator as some generic animal Minimate the first time we saw Ivan's SDCC pic of the playset.

------------------------------

Okay, after reading the other thread I guess it's safe to say that the best course of action is simply to stop all the pointless debate once and for all. Both sides have made convincing arguments, but in the end I'm still reeling from all those potentially bruised egos and hurt feelings that've come out of this discussion. We should probably just agree to disagree and stick with our own stuff from now on. (And here I thought my "soapbox" post in this thread was bleak and unpleasant.)

When it comes right down to it, I guess I wouldn't be surprised if only us Minimate fans ended up buying the Battle Beast mate/s judging from how dissatisfied the older fans are with the Gator's design... though I'd find it something of a shame since I'm actually warming up to the Battle Beast concept and would've like seeing more mates of them. :(

Some of the BB guys seem to be following some sort of misconception though... are they thinking that the generic guard in the playset was supposed to be a Battle Beast? And they don't seem to realize some of us are having our own issues with the cardboard set too...

Edited by NorthRaider

I'm not a member of their board so I have little right to comment but so far I haven't seen a single negative about BBs or their collectors here yet there is a distinct 'suggestion' that some of their posters think otherwise.

The way I see it we've all become victims in this discussion: the Battle Beasts guys are hurt that DST even released that extremely disappointing (to them) BB/MM prototype in the first place, and we're hurt because they're taking it out on the "poor" design of Minimates (which we all happen to, uh, really like) too. Like I said, we should all probably just agree to disagree and move on.

I just hope the BB guys can understand that we know where they're coming from too. I still feel sad whenever I think about the Doctor Who minimates we could've gotten but never did because of that line of Superhero Squad-style figures that got released instead... okay, not helping :(

Nice custom brobotc which immediately captures the 'flavour' of Minimates & Battle Beasts.

Thanks for your opinion NorthRaider, it reflects mine. One point that was made about Minimates in LRG.com which again reflects mine is 'puny Minimate arms'.......I have long-advocated the introduction of 'power-arms ' on Minimates which would be way way better at altering their persona in a way that the awful bulky chest-pieces have failed. All the Battle Beasts have huge arms something that our own Hulk Minimate has always lacked & suffers from (for example). I think that BB may herald subtle changes to the Minimate design in the same manner that the GB line has .

I guess part of the "arm problem" has to do with the Minimate evolution process... remember the first Hulk way back in Wave 1? Now after thirty waves we've seen new "technologies" on the Minimate body to help bulk him up: the powerhouse pieces, the torso extenders, the big hands, the duck feet (yuck)... of course, some work better than others.

DST already mentioned that putting 3-incher arms on a 2-incher mate is impossible thanks to the Marvel license restriction, but hopefully DST can find another way. They've just recently given Jim Lee Storm new "puffy sleeves" sculpts, maybe some muscle-sculpted 2-incher arms for the Hulk won't be too far behind.

Then again this plays into the issue of conforming to Minimate aesthetics again: fundamentally the basic block body represents what Minimates are, and we've seen what has happened whenever a Minimate deviated from it too much, which is not pretty. It's all down to DST figuring out the perfect balance of block and sculpt as far as bigger arms are concerned.

I guess part of the "arm problem" has to do with the Minimate evolution process... remember the first Hulk way back in Wave 1? Now after thirty waves we've seen new "technologies" on the Minimate body to help bulk him up: the powerhouse pieces, the torso extenders, the big hands, the duck feet (yuck)... of course, some work better than others.

DST already mentioned that putting 3-incher arms on a 2-incher mate is impossible thanks to the Marvel license restriction, but hopefully DST can find another way. They've just recently given Jim Lee Storm new "puffy sleeves" sculpts, maybe some muscle-sculpted 2-incher arms for the Hulk won't be too far behind.

Then again this plays into the issue of conforming to Minimate aesthetics again: fundamentally the basic block body represents what Minimates are, and we've seen what has happened whenever a Minimate deviated from it too much, which is not pretty. It's all down to DST figuring out the perfect balance of block and sculpt as far as bigger arms are concerned.

But ya see, DST found a way around that; they AREN'T sculpted. They're actually slip-on pieces, meaning no extra sculpting. I can't see Hulk getting muscles any time soon.

And personally, thank God. I'm not exactly someone who needs his "Godly, plain, sacred Minimate body," but some things are just too much. Biceps and triceps fall into that category.