UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

First hand news from SDCC

Good point. I don't really rant about character selection but I do get tired of seeing it. I could go the rest of my life without reading "Where's Kang?" again.

Problem is, DST has been caving to all our bitching and moaning recently, so they're really just reinforcing this behavior. If they really wanted to put us in our place, and to curb this kind of behavior, they would cancel Deadpool, Gambit, Captain Britain, and various others, replacing them with obscure Morlocks or something. That's what I would do if I was them. Screw those ungrateful brat fans.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Twisted, being a part of the human race... I take offense to that...you don't like how fast the news gets here...stop being lazy, get off your arse , and go to the con yourself. then you don't have to rely on the lazy folk and get the news first hand.

I am annoyed at a lot of the negativity around here, and am seriously considering giving up participating here. I want to see these pics pretty bad too, but i don't feel i should have to sift through all this whining to do so. sorry to anyone who has to read through my post, but i am surprised at how greedy we as a community have become, with the demands on dst, and fellow collectors, to give us up to the second news...shit, i have wanted a proper angel from day one, but you will not find a post from me demanding we get one. where do we get the nerve these days.

sorry guy/gals, i apologize for the rant, but we are getting news, sorry if its not as much as most of you would like. :(

sorry, nervous

No need to apologize Nervous, I feel you. The attitude on the forum has changed a bit, but I see it on several forums lately. It's kind of like the "me" generation is making a comeback or something. Either that or the age of the members combined with maturity filter is faulty. With me being home for the moment, I've had more time to actually sit down and read threads more carefully. In regards to DST Chuck, the guy is alright in my book. You've got to remember, he has a lot of things going on during the con's and probable get's little rest. Since he, DST Matt and the rest of the team probable have to keep in touch with the office too. My suggestion is let's get back to the fun that made this community and leave the negativity to other boards that have nothing better to do with themselves.

I agree with you guys. everyone will more than likely get what they want eventually, so there really isn't any point to going "why battlebeasts, why not ********???" it's absolutely futile, IMO, and it lowers morale a good deal. if you don't like what DST has to offer, maybe find something else to collect? I have made peace that I will never get a deadgirl mate, but you'll never hear me complain.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with ranting about the things that piss us off on here. That's part of why you get together and talk to your fellow collectors, right? I'm certainly not going to walk around on pins and needles, afraid that I may offend DST. I don't even know how much attention they pay to us, but they do need to hear the things that aggravate us, like the fact that the minimate lab looks cheap or that we think them leaving out the top vote-getter for the AA Secret Wars poll is bullshit. At the end of the day, you're right. These things are just pieces of plastic and DST are just a bunch of guys making a living and can't satisfy everyone. Toy lines come and go and one day it will fade away just like all the lines before it, no matter how successful (Mego, 70's Star Wars, Masters of the Universe). I GET it, and I know we're not entitled to anything. I love Minimates...I've drawn over 600 of the little devils...but I'm still going to bitch when I want to. :P

Fair enough, discussing what you like and do not like is one thing, but that is not whats happening here. all i seem to see lately is people that bitch and moan and complain and demand and demand and did i say demand things from other members who are enjoying themselves at sdcc who are doing us all favors, or dst who are doing what their best to get us some cool characters. we are lucky they even share with us as much as they do.

I thought this place was put here to discuss and share our love of mates, not a forum to sound like an asshole when your favorite guy isn't made, and shit all over the ones that are made. there are ways of staying civil and expressing your dislike for things, but to constantly just bash it getting old. why do you (addressing anyone) have to agree with every single decision for a character to be put in a wave? i know i don't, and i just buy the ones i want. if it a completist mentality, then it shouldn't matter who it is, your gonna get it anyway (i used to, but can't afford all that comes out these days, too much) my personal thought on kang...i dont give a shit about him, and could care less if he ever gets made, but i am not bashing you guys for wanting him. my main gripe is the tone that is taken when someone doesn't get what he/she wants. it seems like the more we are getting, the more we are expecting out of dst. a few years ago, when there were only a few waves a year, it was a lot more fun waiting for these guys, and talking about them, and now we get more than ever, but its just not enough for some people. just wait, and maybe you'll get your guy, and have some fun with it...look how long it took me to get my feathered wing angel....wanted him since i saw him on one of the very first posters (if not the first) that came out.

all i am asking is if someone doesnt like something, there is no reason to be mean about it. i have made some real friends on here, and like to see whats going on every day.

we are mostly adults here, lets start acting like it. :)

ps. i didnt mean for this to drag out, but wanted to clarify a little better. plus, i am up with a newborn, so this is killing time between feedings, lol

How about replacing them with obscure '60's characters: Vanisher, original Bullseye, or Proteus(in another form so they could just re-release an older mate........ uhhh.... Cyclops or Woverine!!!!! :woot:;) ) Just kiddin', I'm sure we'll see popular choices(when I first started minimates I never thought I'd see Thor).

Edited by bilbofett

Yeah, but seriously where is Kang ?

;)

Bastard.

Hey Twisted, being a part of the human race... I take offense to that...you don't like how fast the news gets here...stop being lazy, get off your arse , and go to the con yourself. then you don't have to rely on the lazy folk and get the news first hand.

I am annoyed at a lot of the negativity around here, and am seriously considering giving up participating here. I want to see these pics pretty bad too, but i don't feel i should have to sift through all this whining to do so. sorry to anyone who has to read through my post, but i am surprised at how greedy we as a community have become, with the demands on dst, and fellow collectors, to give us up to the second news...shit, i have wanted a proper angel from day one, but you will not find a post from me demanding we get one. where do we get the nerve these days.

sorry guy/gals, i apologize for the rant, but we are getting news, sorry if its not as much as most of you would like. :(

sorry, nervous

No need to apologize Nervous, I feel you. The attitude on the forum has changed a bit, but I see it on several forums lately. It's kind of like the "me" generation is making a comeback or something. Either that or the age of the members combined with maturity filter is faulty. With me being home for the moment, I've had more time to actually sit down and read threads more carefully. In regards to DST Chuck, the guy is alright in my book. You've got to remember, he has a lot of things going on during the con's and probable get's little rest. Since he, DST Matt and the rest of the team probable have to keep in touch with the office too. My suggestion is let's get back to the fun that made this community and leave the negativity to other boards that have nothing better to do with themselves.

I agree with you guys. everyone will more than likely get what they want eventually, so there really isn't any point to going "why battlebeasts, why not ********???" it's absolutely futile, IMO, and it lowers morale a good deal. if you don't like what DST has to offer, maybe find something else to collect? I have made peace that I will never get a deadgirl mate, but you'll never hear me complain.

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with ranting about the things that piss us off on here. That's part of why you get together and talk to your fellow collectors, right? I'm certainly not going to walk around on pins and needles, afraid that I may offend DST. I don't even know how much attention they pay to us, but they do need to hear the things that aggravate us, like the fact that the minimate lab looks cheap or that we think them leaving out the top vote-getter for the AA Secret Wars poll is bullshit. At the end of the day, you're right. These things are just pieces of plastic and DST are just a bunch of guys making a living and can't satisfy everyone. Toy lines come and go and one day it will fade away just like all the lines before it, no matter how successful (Mego, 70's Star Wars, Masters of the Universe). I GET it, and I know we're not entitled to anything. I love Minimates...I've drawn over 600 of the little devils...but I'm still going to bitch when I want to. :P

Fair enough, discussing what you like and do not like is one thing, but that is not whats happening here. all i seem to see lately is people that bitch and moan and complain and demand and demand and did i say demand things from other members who are enjoying themselves at sdcc who are doing us all favors, or dst who are doing what their best to get us some cool characters. we are lucky they even share with us as much as they do.

I thought this place was put here to discuss and share our love of mates, not a forum to sound like an asshole when your favorite guy isn't made, and shit all over the ones that are made. there are ways of staying civil and expressing your dislike for things, but to constantly just bash it getting old. why do you (addressing anyone) have to agree with every single decision for a character to be put in a wave? i know i don't, and i just buy the ones i want. if it a completist mentality, then it shouldn't matter who it is, your gonna get it anyway (i used to, but can't afford all that comes out these days, too much) my personal thought on kang...i dont give a shit about him, and could care less if he ever gets made, but i am not bashing you guys for wanting him. my main gripe is the tone that is taken when someone doesn't get what he/she wants. it seems like the more we are getting, the more we are expecting out of dst. a few years ago, when there were only a few waves a year, it was a lot more fun waiting for these guys, and talking about them, and now we get more than ever, but its just not enough for some people. just wait, and maybe you'll get your guy, and have some fun with it...look how long it took me to get my feathered wing angel....wanted him since i saw him on one of the very first posters (if not the first) that came out.

all i am asking is if someone doesnt like something, there is no reason to be mean about it. i have made some real friends on here, and like to see whats going on every day.

we are mostly adults here, lets start acting like it. :)

ps. i didnt mean for this to drag out, but wanted to clarify a little better. plus, i am up with a newborn, so this is killing time between feedings, lol

I agree completely with your thoughts on those who bitch and moan about not getting a particular character every time that a new wave or line is announced. I don't care who is in what wave as long as they keep on coming out with new stuff.

Edited by minimadman

Whoa guys... easy on the ginormous page quote.

I'm perfectly happy with this year's cornucopia of Minimate releases (course I'll be even happier once they actually show up at our LCS! :D), and I think we can all do with fewer of the incessant "I Want My ____ Minimate!!!" posts, though I will admit to having been guilty of this myself on occasion... onceagainDSTIaminfinitelygratefulforthatBlackBoltmate.

Perhaps we're all just getting a little too caught up in all this SDCC euphoria... hopefully things will get less crazy after a while, then we can go back to what we always do: talk shop about Minimates, make customs, and make jokes at the expense of various boardies with funny names/avatars :P

Just read all posts in this thread and trying to help answer any outstanding questions. Plus some tidbits from my conversations with DSTMatt and DSTChuck. Sorry if my mind is a little foggy. Enjoy!

Does anybody know who the extra head below WWII Wolverines left arm and behind the card belongs to?

That is the Black Panther's unmasked head. Though you all probably know by some of the images online now.

Whoaaaaaa...... Hang on... So still no Mohawk Storm?? Despite her being the highest voted in the poll on the AA site!

Mohawk Storm was on/near the top of the DST poll, but it ranked pretty low on the TRU poll. Don't mean she won't be made. DST never said they won't be made if not in the box set. It literally was just who you want in the box set.

The panel was actally pretty sedate. There were maybe 50 tops, and it made the room look really empty. Chuck kind of seemed like he would rather have been somewhere else....

I wasn't at the Minimates panel but when I was talking with Chuck earlier today, I could tell he was tired as hell. But I saw sudden bursts of energy here and there during our, I don't know how long, conversation. So I interpreted your statement as that he'd rather be in bed. :)

Conversation tidbits:

• Matt is considering putting that First Appearance Angel as the regular figure in that series and the other Blue Angel as the chase instead. His reasoning is that First Appearance Angel will complete the AFX First Appearance (or whatever it's called) X-Men box set. Let DST know which Angel you want and why!
  • When I was talking with Matt about the playset, he mentioned that the croc was from Battle Beasts, which flew right over my head since I had no idea what Battle Beasts are. I think he was looking at me closely to see my reaction to him saying that...
  • Matt did mention the MSRP for the playset, but I hesistate to state it as fact since it was told to me on Wed and a lot of time has passed... Either $30 or $40, and includes the 2 exclusive figures. Please correct me if I am wrong. Please.
  • The two new Wolverine Origins sets (Weapon XI/Wolverine, Gambit/Wolverine) will be joined by the 3 of the wave 1 figures. I only remembered the Sabretooth pack mentioned, but I doubt that the reissues matter much to most of us.
  • TRU simply wanted a Wolverine Origins wave 2. And Gambit and Deadpool had to be made.
  • Wolverine movie minimates won't take up precious pegs of the regular TRU waves since they technically should be placed in the Wolverine movie section.
  • Still trying to get dedicated space for minimates in all TRUs so things could also get organized. Minimates are sometimes just placed wherever.
  • TRU views minimates as an in-and-out product. They buy a certain amount, they sell out, they move on to the next wave. They could potentially reorder a previous wave, but that is very unlikely since they would have to order a certain amount again and that they probably won't sell as much the second time around.
  • TRU could do a best of minimates wave if they wanted to where DST would cherry pick some of the best figures, but it didn't seem likely. The Heroes/Villains packs were to help fill that void.
  • The reason for 5 different packs per TRU wave is to help move product. If minimates are to stay in TRU, they need to sell a certain percentage within a certain time to stay on the shelves. Yes, Chuck believes 5 packs per wave is a lot. But this was a business decision.
  • There are 4 planned TRU waves this year. 4 locked for next year. However, TRU is asking for an additional 5th wave for this year.
  • The TRU deal this time around has nothing to do with previous arrangements. The original 5 packs with mystery figure, the 4 packs with Astonishing X-Men, etc. The current people at TRU seem to favor 2-packs over 4-packs.
  • Chuck thought the idea of the mystery figure in the original 5 packs were stupid. Same figure for all and it takes one person to post what it is online. And parents like to know what they are buying for their kids.
  • Molecule Man had to be made just because he was a huge part of Secret Wars.
  • The Molecule Man/Spider-Woman will join Angel/Thunderbird(or Warpath, I actually don't know) in a single TRU wave. And they will each be one per box. Straight from Matt's mouth. No kidding. He said that. Because we all love one per case! Yeah, he was joking the entire time.
  • Bullseye/Moonstone. I think we all know the story by now, whether we like it or not. Still more made than the variants of the normal minimates waves.
  • For the most part, TRU packs from now on will at least be 2 per case. (I think they may have noticed the quiet reaction to the 1 per case of Bullseye/Moonstone.)
  • I thought it was funny that Chuck did acknowledge that we do sometimes have to contend with TRU employees and one time he asked for an employee to grab a case in the back so he could put it out on the pegs. I would love to meet Chuck at a TRU!
  • Chuck confirmed that orders for the specialty market are falling. One of the probable causes is due to the recession.
  • I mentioned those infamous translucent blue/red Spider-Man figures just because I don't want the idea to die. But Chuck came back saying that it was Digger's idea and he wanted Spider-Man to be in every wave. In every wave in the sense you'd get nonsensical Spider-Man variations like the Scuba Spidey. Chuck is against that idea and wants everything to be based on comics.
  • In regards to Spider-Man, it doesn't seem like Chuck is in favor of the slip-on mask though another person in DST is. Same with the full-on slip-on mask (think original Bullseye mask with holes for eyes and the current Thunderbolts full-on slip-on Bullseye mask). However, slip-on masks allow them to redo certain figures (black Spidey).
  • Glow-In-The-Dark Stay Puft/Venkman SDCC exclusive set was the surprise hit. Sold out again today. Chuck still not sure exactly why since minimates generally don't sell out like this. They still had lots of the Dark Avengers #2 set (Ares, etc.) and he thought those would do better than the GB 2-pack. I am not sure if this does mean the set is really sold out from DST or just sold out of whatever they brought in.
  • A bloody minimate (ie bloody Moon Knight) would be a little hard to do because minimates are geared for kids. Battle-damaged is fine, but explicit blood is not. They only did it once with the Dead Six single pack chase. If done, will only be for the specialty market.
  • Giant Stay Puft coin bank was the expected hit due to price point and recognition.

Those are all the major points I remember right now. It was a pleasure talking with Chuck and Matt and is always one of my highlights every year. I would highly recommend chatting with them for a little bit about anything if any of you get the chance.

Lots of cool stuff!

Hey Allen,

A huge thanks for the info and taking the time to post it! your questions go a long way towards answering most of the stuff I would have asked Chuck etc...

Good Job!

T.

I totally agree with TBT :ohmy: I now understand entirely some of the previously unfathomable decisions that have been made recently . The Moonstone situation should calm down eventually if they are that plentiful & that is probably one of the main concerns on here.

Loved that bit about Chuck in TRU :P

Thanks very much for relaying it all to us.

Thanks to everybody who relayed all this great info to us.

Yes indeedy, thanks for the huge news update storm 1:08 :thumbsup:

The bit about Mohawk Storm is pretty enlightening, glad that she's still a possibility.. albeit not for the Secret Wars set.

• Matt is considering putting that First Appearance Angel as the regular figure in that series and the other Blue Angel as the chase instead. His reasoning is that First Appearance Angel will complete the AFX First Appearance (or whatever it's called) X-Men box set. Let DST know which Angel you want and why!
  • When I was talking with Matt about the playset, he mentioned that the croc was from Battle Beasts, which flew right over my head since I had no idea what Battle Beasts are. I think he was looking at me closely to see my reaction to him saying that...
  • Matt did mention the MSRP for the playset, but I hesistate to state it as fact since it was told to me on Wed and a lot of time has passed... Either $30 or $40, and includes the 2 exclusive figures. Please correct me if I am wrong. Please.

• Chuck confirmed that orders for the specialty market are falling. One of the probable causes is due to the recession.
  • I mentioned those infamous translucent blue/red Spider-Man figures just because I don't want the idea to die. But Chuck came back saying that it was Digger's idea and he wanted Spider-Man to be in every wave. In every wave in the sense you'd get nonsensical Spider-Man variations like the Scuba Spidey. Chuck is against that idea and wants everything to be based on comics.
  • In regards to Spider-Man, it doesn't seem like Chuck is in favor of the slip-on mask though another person in DST is. Same with the full-on slip-on mask (think original Bullseye mask with holes for eyes and the current Thunderbolts full-on slip-on Bullseye mask). However, slip-on masks allow them to redo certain figures (black Spidey).
  • Glow-In-The-Dark Stay Puft/Venkman SDCC exclusive set was the surprise hit. Sold out again today. Chuck still not sure exactly why since minimates generally don't sell out like this. They still had lots of the Dark Avengers #2 set (Ares, etc.) and he thought those would do better than the GB 2-pack. I am not sure if this does mean the set is really sold out from DST or just sold out of whatever they brought in.
  • A bloody minimate (ie bloody Moon Knight) would be a little hard to do because minimates are geared for kids. Battle-damaged is fine, but explicit blood is not. They only did it once with the Dead Six single pack chase. If done, will only be for the specialty market.

These are the bits that struck me most. Wow, a couple of Minimate myths (like the DST Chuck-Spidey fetish) busted right there! And swapping the variant Angel for Wave 31 sounds like a good decision to me.

The drop in specialty-market orders bothers me, seeing as specialty market is pretty much the only other channel some of us rely on for our 'mate fix. And $30-40 for the playset does sound a tad much, not unless that cost-value can be offset with more accessories and stuff. Then again, it's currently the sole way to go about acquiring a Battle Beast 'mate so...

Again, the Stay Puft/Venkman pack selling out makes sense. Apparently the Ghostbusters fans have been waiting years for real movie merchandise. However I still can't help but be somewhat baffled by DST's "Minimates are for kids" rhetoric; if they really were for kids then they should be more accessible (read: easier to buy) in general. Plus, have we ever heard actual kid feedback regarding the TRU 'mates?

Plus, have we ever heard actual kid feedback regarding the TRU 'mates?

There have been several childish remarks about the situation-does that count.

To me, one of the bigger things from the info Chuck gave is TRU seems to like Minimates so they seem to be there to stay for awhile. What a mixed blessing.

And, on an SDCC related note, AFX's blog has updated pics of the X-Men and X-Factor sets here.

Edited by groundhog7s

There have been several childish remarks about the situation-does that count.

Being immature & puerile has never been an obstacle to me posting here although I hope I am perceived to make some adult & constructive comments at times :rolleyes:

Ironically in the UK/EU Minimates can't be sold if they are described as toys......where's the sense?

There are things in England that normally make sense?

Lab playset for pre-order

Alter Ego has these on pre-order for $25.99. I don't know if that's just an estimate or actual price, but it's not quite as bad as $30-$40. That's still a tough sell at that price, but hopefully non-Minimate collectors will get some for other figures.

There are things in England that normally make sense?

Lab playset for pre-order

Alter Ego has these on pre-order for $25.99. I don't know if that's just an estimate or actual price, but it's not quite as bad as $30-$40. That's still a tough sell at that price, but hopefully non-Minimate collectors will get some for other figures.

Alter Ego is a member here.

Lobsterman and Nervous are making a lot of sense.

Everyone stare at my sig line and everything will be ok

Regarding Storm's post (thanks!), let me also suggest that getting classic Angel as the "common" makes a lot more sense to me. The relatively "modern" Angel is getting 2 other releases with different outfits, anyway (Champions and X-Factor from TRU), and we actually got a very similar suit with the wave 19 variant, so this feels more like a variant to me. Plus, of course, it will be easier for people who want to round out their box set team to buy him this way, so I think it makes more sense from a business decision.

So, Bullseye/Moonstone is less rare than the variant pack from a regular series, but not a common pack?

In my discussion with Chuck :), he said they get a lot of those comment cards back from kids (more so now that they are in TRU.) They're either written in crayon or from the parent saying "My kid wants to know..." I'd love to see DST's mail call. Obviously part of the push for the new website.

Thanks for all the notes Storm, you got a lot of info I didn't even think to ask about.