UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

First hand news from SDCC

http://www.beastformers.com/checklist_ex.cfm?number=C34

Yellow Alligator/Croc could be what the minimate is based off

That's a custom in the link. The original croc Battle Beast was white with gold armor. The DST one isn't based on previous Battle Beast.

I wonder if DST will revist the old designs, or just go with new ones. Will we get the chariots? So many questions...

Edited by cesium salami

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is anyone really surprised that the middle-aged, creepy, bald, wheelchair bound, mind reader who is the sole teacher at a school for "gifted youngsters" would have a cush on one of his students? This is really one of those great old panels that in context is awkward at best and out of context is down-right creepy... wait, this one is creepier in context.

So... battle beasts? Hunh. I vaguely recall those. I don't think I will be getting them, but I think this could be a great way to get kiddies into minimates.. where it will be easier for Xavier to secretly lust after them.

Is anyone really surprised that the middle-aged, creepy, bald, wheelchair bound, mind reader who is the sole teacher at a school for "gifted youngsters" would have a cush on one of his students? This is really one of those great old panels that in context is awkward at best and out of context is down-right creepy... wait, this one is creepier in context.

If you don't read The Boys you should there is a very similar story in one of the arcs.

I was never really into battle beasts. So do DST have the liscense to produce or the rights to the brand? I was wondering if these might end up like the Dr. Who mates(in limbo).

If I understand from what I read in the thread DST owns them not just the rights.

Lobsterman covered the panel really well. But I thought I would share some details I found interesting.

On the BattleBeasts front, I thought it was cool that they now own the license. Whoever owned the trademark let it expire/lapse and DST went after it. DST doesn't have to pay anyone else licensing fees and they can do whatever they want with it. Doesn't necessarily have to be Minimates. It could be more playsets, vehicles, a game (Heroclix-style?), or anything they want. They can aim it at that 7-10+ market that the new website is aimed at. Ideal for TRU, IMO.

Eddie Wires, Minimate Painter Extraordinaire, was also on the panel and mentioned and complimented Mystery Man's Conan Quick Custom. He liked the use of existing parts and thought the idea of selling blank customizing packs could hurt the creativity displayed in the customizing community.

Several items have been presented to retail with low response: Obama, Christmas set with reindeer, Doctor Who (via Underground Toys).

I'll see what kind of photos I can throw together tonight, depending on how la tired I am. :D

Hey Twisted, being a part of the human race... I take offense to that...you don't like how fast the news gets here...stop being lazy, get off your arse , and go to the con yourself. then you don't have to rely on the lazy folk and get the news first hand.

I am annoyed at a lot of the negativity around here, and am seriously considering giving up participating here. I want to see these pics pretty bad too, but i don't feel i should have to sift through all this whining to do so. sorry to anyone who has to read through my post, but i am surprised at how greedy we as a community have become, with the demands on dst, and fellow collectors, to give us up to the second news...shit, i have wanted a proper angel from day one, but you will not find a post from me demanding we get one. where do we get the nerve these days.

sorry guy/gals, i apologize for the rant, but we are getting news, sorry if its not as much as most of you would like. :(

sorry, nervous

No need to apologize Nervous, I feel you. The attitude on the forum has changed a bit, but I see it on several forums lately. It's kind of like the "me" generation is making a comeback or something. Either that or the age of the members combined with maturity filter is faulty. With me being home for the moment, I've had more time to actually sit down and read threads more carefully. In regards to DST Chuck, the guy is alright in my book. You've got to remember, he has a lot of things going on during the con's and probable get's little rest. Since he, DST Matt and the rest of the team probable have to keep in touch with the office too. My suggestion is let's get back to the fun that made this community and leave the negativity to other boards that have nothing better to do with themselves.

I think what makes acquiring Battle Beasts for Minimates so strange to me, is that I remember them only as a toy line, not a Saturday morning cartoon brand like most '80s franchises (weren't they in the Japanese Transformers line or something originally?)... so they're taking a toy and making it into a different toy.

But I did have a lot of them when I was a kid, so maybe seeing more prototypes will stir up my nostalgia for them...

It's definitely an interesting strategy to try and get kid interest up for Minimates, and make them "real" toys rather than just collector-friendly figures.

Edited by battlecat

Question for the people at the con:

All exclusives and new release announcements aside...

How is Diamond's stock of the last few regular waves? I was hoping to pick up waves 25 and 26 (And their variants) at Wizard World Chicago in 2 weeks, since my Toyrocket order got canceled (like everyone elses). Just trying to gauge my odds.

Diamond usually has a good supply of their most recent waves at Wizard World Chicago, and you can usually get the variants if you show up early enough. How does their supply look at San Diego?

There was actually a choice on the panel giveaway Minimates. Unification Spock, DST White, or AA White. Matt also gave out random 4 Packs/2 Packs/GB Blanks for questions. He also gave away freebies at one point to attendees could name some current Minimate licenses. I panicked and said "Golden Girls". I didn't get a freebie.

Even though the turnout was relatively small, they seemed to be real Minimate fans in attendance. There was no G4 or Harry Potter panel following to take up space. As a result it wasn't the same old questions we (and DST) have heard before. (Street Fighter, license X, character Y). When the panel was over almost everyone jumped to the front to take a look at the new Minimates on the podium. They cared. I thought it was a good panel.

Thanks for the report Lobsterman.

Re: Battlebeast license: Good news for DST to get their hands on this property - I hope they can make some cash from it (though it won't be from me). I have absolutely no interest in Battlebeast mates (if they were to be made). I thought that the premise of battlebeasts was typical of so many licenses in the 80's - using cartoons to sell anything that could be molded in plastic and hold a sword or gun.

Ghostbusters Wave 3: obviously I'd like to see this go another wave. My kids are discovering GB and it proves that the property is timeless (outdated special effects and all) as well as the outstanding sales. DST has done a great job of hitting many characters and ghosts, but we'd still like to see Janine, EPA guy Mr. Peck (aka "dickless"), Vigo, wired up Louis Tully and others.

Mini-flyers: This comes as no surprise, since it was stated that TRU wanted play-along pieces to complement mates, which possibly opens the door for Raptors, MK II Vipers and, given the success of GB, Ecto-1/Ecto-1A. I'd also throw out a Terminator T-800 motorcycle and maybe a BTTF Delorean (w/ Radiation suit Marty and White coverall Doc Brown) as options. BTTF may be a stretch since it's been so long since the original mates hit the market, but since DST is doing the detailed time machine replicas, a minimate version may be covered within the current license. As for marvel - they don't really have a strong vehicle tie-in like DC/Batman and the batmobile, so nothing comes to mind - except perhaps an army Humvee or heli that would have complimented Hulk Mates when the movie was out.

New Caprica Tigh & Starbuck: I think this is telling and suggests that the 2 waves of TRU exclusives were the last final blitz to satisfy fans and get all the cylon models into the market. Though they seem to be selling moderatley, the fact that they've taken these two variations (which have already been designed) off the board, suggests that DST and TRU are done with BSG for now.

Nice commentary there Nervous... speaking as a relative newbie in this community (:P), I've always enjoyed hanging out here what with the random shenanigans that occur once in a while along with the Minimate news. I don't know what to say about us collectors getting more "selfish" lately, but I really do appreciate the firsthand news guys like Ivan and Lobsterman gives us straight from SDCC. It really is just as good as being there :)

I have to say that this really is turning out to be a watershed year for us Minimate lovers... you take the good with the bad, but in the end this all boils down to a fun, helpful community (on paper ;)) and the little plastic people we all know and love.

Now excuse me while I go off and swim in my mini-sized bathtub full of mates. :P

Several items have been presented to retail with low response: Obama, Christmas set with reindeer, Doctor Who (via Underground Toys).

Oh dear, and I would've loved getting all of those :(

Mini-flyers: This comes as no surprise, since it was stated that TRU wanted play-along pieces to complement mates, which possibly opens the door for Raptors, MK II Vipers and, given the success of GB, Ecto-1/Ecto-1A. I'd also throw out a Terminator T-800 motorcycle and maybe a BTTF Delorean (w/ Radiation suit Marty and White coverall Doc Brown) as options. BTTF may be a stretch since it's been so long since the original mates hit the market, but since DST is doing the detailed time machine replicas, a minimate version may be covered within the current license. As for marvel - they don't really have a strong vehicle tie-in like DC/Batman and the batmobile, so nothing comes to mind - except perhaps an army Humvee or heli that would have complimented Hulk Mates when the movie was out.

I would not count more BTTF mates out just yet...they sold nicely and next year is the anniversary year for the movies and there is a video of Matt saying that there may be plans for more mates to come out next year as the movies will be getting the anniversary push

Jeff of the Miniacs

Being more than middle-aged, perhaps a tad creepy ,a tad receding etc.etc.... I have to give my viewpoint. Those issues were produced for an audience that was probably unaware of the word 'paedophile' & could still differentiate between 'having a crush' ,'being in love' & 'wanting to screw one of your students'.

Compare that with the latest War-Machine issues which involve rape,zombies,dehumanisation,torture & subliminal racism/sexism ......

Poor ol' Xavier wouldn't even be allowed his pipe these days because that ain't good for the kids....the hypocrisy of it all.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Don't forget the Goblin Glider, Ghost Rider's Hellcycle, the Avengers Quinjet, the Fantasticar...

But not this... anything but this!

post-1597-1248606950_thumb.png

That'd be perfect for the Oldman Logan mate in the through the ages set.

I imagine Marvel still won't allow vehicles, so best not to get your hopes up too much until they actually show one off somewhere.

Regarding Obama, I'm surprised there was no retail interest there. Lord knows they've crammed him down our throats every other way imaginable, through action figures, bobbleheads, comic books, etc. Maybe Obamania is wearing off.

I dug up this

for those of you who are still not to familiar with the brand.

As far as how these will fair as minimates... I don't know. I'm just hopefull for some great customizing parts with these guys.

Don't forget the Goblin Glider, Ghost Rider's Hellcycle, the Avengers Quinjet, the Fantasticar...

But not this... anything but this!

post-1597-1248606950_thumb.png

That'd be perfect for the Oldman Logan mate in the through the ages set.

LOL. Hell yeah!!